Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Likely they would be very upset by their photos being on the internet. Obviously it is not something they had control over.

The comment by the liberal haters of Amish are pathethic. So much for diversity sensitivity, eh?
I didn't see any posts by anyone who said they hated the Amish (???)

However, if you want to be sensitve to criminals because they endanger lives by refusing to use safety precaustions YOU go right ahead.

YOU try to be in close quarters with the unbathed and see how "sensitive" you are.....Yup, this liberal doesn't tolerate those who don't bathe or obey laws....but you go right ahead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 07:04 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGinger View Post
What a sad day in our country.
Sad??

I live near Amish.

Fear is to come up behind them at dusk with no tail lights on the buggy.

Sad is when some hits them and children die along with the horse.

It happens.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
You do understand that driving a slow-moving horse drawn wagon at night, without lights or reflectors, actually endangers other people who must use the roads, don't you?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
t's fun to talk about the Amish online because they will never find out!
Don't be so sure.

The local Amish use cell phones.

I ask one why that was OK and he said because cell phones don't have wires.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 PM

Amish man arrested for sexting 12-year-old girl, inviting her to have sex in buggy | syracuse.com

Not what I was looking for....

But, it does show cell phone use.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:11 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The local Amish use cell phones.

I ask one why that was OK and he said because cell phones don't have wires.
I was watching a documentary on the Amish the other day and had a chuckle at some of the "loopholes" some of the Amish have begun to take hold of. Some of the loopholes are so big, that you can drive a truck through it, I guess.

"Wires" is one of the loopholes mentioned in this documentary. The Amish aren't supposed to have phone wires inside the house, so this one guy goes and sets up a cordless phone system in his house.

That would seem to many to violate the underlying spirit of the rule, I don't know, but I guess they don't look at it that way. They just take the rule literally, and if they can find a way around the literal interpretation of the rule, then is a-okay. Like if the rule says no phone wires in the house, then a cordless phone has no wires in the house (if you just put the base station outside, or whatever).... and voila... no breaking the rule.

Another one that was mentioned was I guess in most of the Amish sects, you really aren't supposed to have mains power in your house (or otherwise just aren't supposed to use it - whichever), so what some of them have started doing is just using battery power instead, hooked up to an inverter... and just plugging in certain allowed appliances into the inverter.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 09-13-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Apparently in KY those offenses can include jial time i the sentences. The federal courts long ago ruled that a violation that punishemnt is fine only can not include jial time to servve the sentence. that is why i mnay states when a perosn does not poay he is arested on warrnat but must be relased in certqin numnber of hours on poersonaql appearaqnce bond.It in my opinion should be alowed when one does not pay the fine.Otehr sie it mean the perosn is jial repeatedly on failure to appear time after times until all fines are paid often.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Modesty is relative. I find blaze Orange to be plain (because it is for practical purposes), but their haircuts and beards are somewhat flamboyant.

Frankly, punishing these guys with jail-time is just a big waste of taxpayer money.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:25 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
I was watching a documentary on the Amish the other day and had a chuckle at some of the "loopholes" some of the Amish have begun to take hold of. Some of the loopholes are so big, that you can drive a truck through it, I guess.

"Wires" is one of the loopholes mentioned in this documentary. The Amish aren't supposed to have phone wires inside the house, so this one guy goes and sets up a cordless phone system in his house.

That would seem to many to violate the underlying spirit of the rule, I don't know, but I guess they don't look at it that way. They just take the rule literally, and if they can find a way around the literal interpretation of the rule, then is a-okay. Like if the rule says no phone wires in the house, then a cordless phone has no wires in the house (if you just put the base station outside, or whatever).... and voila... no breaking the rule.

Another one that was mentioned was I guess in most of the Amish sects, you really aren't supposed to have mains power in your house (or otherwise just aren't supposed to use it - whichever), so what some of them have started doing is just using battery power instead, hooked up to an inverter... and just plugging in certain allowed appliances into the inverter.
The Amish, like any religion, find loopholes(outright lies)....they also don't mind if other people use eletricity, cars. etc. if they're helping the Amish make money.

They have a sick set of values...a few yeard back a girl "broke away" from these freaks..her brother had raped her from the time she was four.....the ""good" Amish punished him by forbidding him to go to church for three weeks....

Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't kid yourselves about them not knowing about the internet. Old Order maybe not but there's a couple sects out there (primarily Mennonites) who use computers in their businesses, which is allowed.

The same way that while electricity is not allowed in the house, barns and coolers for milk can be powered and power tools can be used in carpentry if powered by a generator.
I'm from southern Michigan Amish country, and Amish people -- at least the ones where I'm from -- use technology. I've seen Amish on airplanes, I've seen them using cellphones, I've seen them shopping in malls. They don't drive, but they do take cabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies