Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And why do you think that?
Because they really live what (we think) Jesus was all about, which however has little to do with the general American old-Testament mindset of revenge, aggression, violence, greed, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:01 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Evil

Old 09-18-2011, 09:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Because they really live what (we think) Jesus was all about, which however has little to do with the general American old-Testament mindset of revenge, aggression, violence, greed, etc.
Oh well -- the US isn't a theocracy anyhow. In fact it's more about not having a state religion even if the Amish live just like Jesus lived - but why aren't they wearing sandels?

To me the Amish are just a group of people that got stuck in some past tense time, they pick and choose among modern conveniences but they weren't a dumb as the Shakers who went overboard and didn't have any kids. There's probably some group out there now whose leaders decide that there's no better age than the 2000's and will want to stick to just what we have today and never want to advance or try new things.

I know a guy who keeps his Atari game player hooked up in his living room and claims the old games are better than the new ones. And some people still have land-lines but they aren't doing it as a religious group, just on their own.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Oh well -- the US isn't a theocracy anyhow. In fact it's more about not having a state religion even if the Amish live just like Jesus lived - but why aren't they wearing sandels?

To me the Amish are just a group of people that got stuck in some past tense time, they pick and choose among modern conveniences but they weren't a dumb as the Shakers who went overboard and didn't have any kids. There's probably some group out there now whose leaders decide that there's no better age than the 2000's and will want to stick to just what we have today and never want to advance or try new things.

I know a guy who keeps his Atari game player hooked up in his living room and claims the old games are better than the new ones. And some people still have land-lines but they aren't doing it as a religious group, just on their own.
Maybe the Midwest is just too cold for sandals most of the year

Regarding their rules I never understood where they draw the line between what is OK and what is too modern. Maybe they are a bit inconsistent... There is a strange fascination with old, simple, manual things, even for me. Sure, now I have several mbps, but somehow the magic of the old analog modems is gone. And I feel that way about so many modern things...

But in terms of morals etc. they are pretty cool. Unlike evangelists or Muslims they don't try to proselytize or anything, they leave others alone and want to be left alone.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Likely they would be very upset by their photos being on the internet. Obviously it is not something they had control over.

The comment by the liberal haters of Amish are pathethic. So much for diversity sensitivity, eh?
Example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I didn't see any posts by anyone who said they hated the Amish (???)

However, if you want to be sensitve to criminals because they endanger lives by refusing to use safety precaustions YOU go right ahead.

YOU try to be in close quarters with the unbathed and see how "sensitive" you are.....Yup, this liberal doesn't tolerate those who don't bathe or obey laws....but you go right ahead...
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Don't be so sure.

The local Amish use cell phones.

I ask one why that was OK and he said because cell phones don't have wires.
Exactly! Which just shows their ignorance (in the true sense of the word) of technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
I was watching a documentary on the Amish the other day and had a chuckle at some of the "loopholes" some of the Amish have begun to take hold of. Some of the loopholes are so big, that you can drive a truck through it, I guess.

"Wires" is one of the loopholes mentioned in this documentary. The Amish aren't supposed to have phone wires inside the house, so this one guy goes and sets up a cordless phone system in his house.

That would seem to many to violate the underlying spirit of the rule, I don't know, but I guess they don't look at it that way. They just take the rule literally, and if they can find a way around the literal interpretation of the rule, then is a-okay. Like if the rule says no phone wires in the house, then a cordless phone has no wires in the house (if you just put the base station outside, or whatever).... and voila... no breaking the rule.

Another one that was mentioned was I guess in most of the Amish sects, you really aren't supposed to have mains power in your house (or otherwise just aren't supposed to use it - whichever), so what some of them have started doing is just using battery power instead, hooked up to an inverter... and just plugging in certain allowed appliances into the inverter.
Well, yes. The Amish don't understand that wireless is higher tech in many cases than wired electronics, e.g. cell phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Modesty is relative. I find blaze Orange to be plain (because it is for practical purposes), but their haircuts and beards are somewhat flamboyant.

Frankly, punishing these guys with jail-time is just a big waste of taxpayer money.
Jail time is inappropriate, I agree. They should be fined, however, and if they can't pay the fines, their licenses or whatever grants them driving rights should be revoked until such time as they pay AND comply. They should have to comply regardless.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
However, their child-rearing practices include beating.

Child abuse in the Amish community | Gather

Old 09-18-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
However, their child-rearing practices include beating.

Child abuse in the Amish community | Gather
Hm, probably there is such abuse in any society, even in Buddhist ones, where violence is officially frowned upon.

But does it mean that they are more violent than non-Amish, or that such behavior is systematic?

As I said earlier, the religious component and the hierarchy are the two components that I don't like about them. Where there is hierarchy and power, there is always abuse...

Old 09-18-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Hm, probably there is such abuse in any society, even in Buddhist ones, where violence is officially frowned upon.

But does it mean that they are more violent than non-Amish, or that such behavior is systematic?

As I said earlier, the religious component and the hierarchy are the two components that I don't like about them. Where there is hierarchy and power, there is always abuse...
In answer to the first, I don't know, but actual beating has gone out of favor by most "English" (non-Amish) parents, and even spanking is frowned upon by many. The American Academy of Pediatrics has come out against spanking.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...;101/4/723.pdf

Is such behavior systematic? Again, I don't know for sure, but it seems that way. The Amish are after all, very conformist, within their religion. I picked just one article, but there are many on google.

I would add that any corporal punishment seems to go against the "turn the other cheek" policy towards others. It seems to be one standard in the family, another outside the fam.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Maybe the Midwest is just too cold for sandals most of the year

Regarding their rules I never understood where they draw the line between what is OK and what is too modern. Maybe they are a bit inconsistent... There is a strange fascination with old, simple, manual things, even for me. Sure, now I have several mbps, but somehow the magic of the old analog modems is gone. And I feel that way about so many modern things...

But in terms of morals etc. they are pretty cool. Unlike evangelists or Muslims they don't try to proselytize or anything, they leave others alone and want to be left alone.
Yes, and we pretty much do leave them alone too. And it's interesting how many Amish admirers don't themselves try to be more like the Amish and quit driving cars and using electricity.

I neither admire nor despise them. I don't want to be more like them, and I also can see a fascination with old things sometimes but I don't need my cult leaders to tell me I must use only things from a certain era, I'll use whatever I feel like using.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In answer to the first, I don't know, but actual beating has gone out of favor by most "English" (non-Amish) parents, and even spanking is frowned upon by many. The American Academy of Pediatrics has come out against spanking.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...;101/4/723.pdf

Is such behavior systematic? Again, I don't know for sure, but it seems that way. The Amish are after all, very conformist, within their religion. I picked just one article, but there are many on google.

I would add that any corporal punishment seems to go against the "turn the other cheek" policy towards others. It seems to be one standard in the family, another outside the fam.
If that's the case, they would be a bunch of hypocrites. I suppose they also have a rather outdated image of women
Maybe oppressing yourself all the time causes a certain amount of aggression, especially when you know what's going on around you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies