Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:50 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times

Advertisements

I hope they make them pick up trash on the roadside. They should have to work off those fines, not let them just sit there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
A lot of people here seem to assume that there is a central Amish authority that dictates what individual Amish communities can and cannot do.

Some Amish are more technologically progressive than others.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Maybe someone should report these KY Amish refusing to use brightly colored triangles on their buggies to #attackwatch on twitter!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:38 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Each Amish group has different rules with regards to technology. Some allow phones in an outside shed of business purposes, others allow limited technology in barns to comply with state regulations, etc.
But not all of them allow that. The Amish settlement closest to me is Swartzentruber Amish, one of the most conservative groups. (I believe the KY men arrested are also Swartzentruber.)
They do not even allow indoor bathrooms or running water.
One Amish man we met is a furniture maker, who has a year long waiting list to buy his furniture. He keeps the names in a spiral notebook. When he gets to an order, he write the person a letter to tell them. The customer sends back a letter with a deposit to place the order. When he finishes, he sends them another letter. In this internet world, that is amazing to me.

I don't understand the hostility towards them- esp. from liberals. They do many things that I would think most liberals would support. The ones here live off the grid, so they save electricity and water. They grow and sell organic fruits and veggies. They don't use cars. They help out their neighbors- barn raisings and helping each other build houses. And if someone has a medical problem, the community pulls together to pay the medical bills.
It's basically a 60s commune without the drugs & sex. Oh, and they believe in God- I'm assuming that's the reason for the scorn.

Here's a great website that has information about the different Amish settlements in the US and abroad.
http://amishamerica.com/who-are-the-...ntruber-amish/

Old 09-14-2011, 02:43 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
A lot of people here seem to assume that there is a central Amish authority that dictates what individual Amish communities can and cannot do.

Some Amish are more technologically progressive than others.
Well using a cell phone is pretty advanced so I think following the state laws would be acceptable to them. They are risking lives, that should be the focus.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Six foot seven! Wow! Must not be the result of the usual Amish incest system.

Sorry to see a county that bends over for these freaks.....

If they have to have bright orange signs on their vehicles why can't they wear bright orange prison uniforms ????????

No, religion isn't stupid....
Thats 67 inches or 5' 7", regulation Amish.

Wonder what the Sistas will do to them.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Each Amish group has different rules with regards to technology. Some allow phones in an outside shed of business purposes, others allow limited technology in barns to comply with state regulations, etc.
But not all of them allow that. The Amish settlement closest to me is Swartzentruber Amish, one of the most conservative groups. (I believe the KY men arrested are also Swartzentruber.)
They do not even allow indoor bathrooms"""

Or baths

"""" or running water.
One Amish man we met is a furniture maker, who has a year long waiting list to buy his furniture. He keeps the names in a spiral notebook. When he gets to an order, he write the person a letter to tell them. The customer sends back a letter with a deposit to place the order. When he finishes, he sends them another letter. In this internet world, that is amazing to me.

I don't understand the hostility towards them- esp. from liberals. They do many things that I would think most liberals would support. The ones here live off the grid, so they save electricity and water. They grow and sell organic fruits and veggies. They don't use cars. They help out their neighbors- barn raisings and helping each other build houses. And if someone has a medical problem, the community pulls together to pay the medical bills."""

So you're sayin that Repugs don't supoport all those good things ???

"""It's basically a 60s commune without the drugs & sex."""

Only with their sisters which the Amish don't seem to mind....you support this?

"" Oh, and they believe in God- I'm assuming that's the reason for the scorn.

Here's a great website that has information about the different Amish settlements in the US and abroad.
Who are the Swartzentruber Amish?
"""""Oh, and they believe in God- I'm assuming that's the reason for the scorn."""""

No, the scorn is for them breaking the law and thinking they don't have to obey laws.....and the fact that they don't care aboput other's safety.....very godly.

The scorn is for when the woman was raped by her Amish brother from the age of four and the Amish "punished" him by not letting him go to church for three weeks....sad to see you approve of this type of behaviour.

And their furniture that I've seen is cheap junk...it had STAPLES holding it together!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
The Amish in our area are not liked by our health department at all.

Mainly the outhouses with no septic systems is the problem.

We drill waters from time to time for them.

They used thier own style water pumps.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:39 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
You've never seen the devastation of cars hitting horses and buggies. I respect their right to live life as they want but the amish HAVE to obey basic traffic rules and safety laws. Putting an orange cone on the back of their buggy is protecting them and other drivers. So putting these guys in jail is necessary. Or just impound their buggies when they catch them on the roads without one or fine them repeatedly. They'll get the message.
I wonder how they'll deal with prison uniforms. Maybe the handcuffs are too "fancy" so they won't want to wear them?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:51 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Laws are just made up and applicable only as long as they can be enforced. It's too bad, but you just can't stay in the 19th century within a strong central government.
It doesn't have to do with the century. Saying orange is anti-God was as stupid in the 19th Century as it is now. Other than that, you are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies