Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
They use public roads they follow public rules. If they cannot use the reflective signs they can build their own roads. I do not see why the public should be at risk so they can be good with their god.
How are they going to get the land for their roads since they don't have emminent domain to do the land grabs our government does?

Still I don't know why the Amish are making such a big deal out of some small safety regulation, they're very compromising on many of their beliefs, you see them traveling in vehicles pretty often, and they seem to have no trouble hopping into a van as long as the driver isn't Amish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 07:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
[Missing the point flag on]
  1. When did the "right to travel" upon the public roads change into a "privilege" granted and controlled by government?
  2. When did victimless crimes become subject to strict punishment?
  3. What happened to the governments instituted under the Declaration of Independence, wherein we are told that job #1 = secure rights, and job #2 = govern those who consent?
  4. What happened to "common sense"?
There are no "victimless" crimes.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
They don't need orange suits to identify them, looking like Grizzly Adams and being the only ones who don't curse will distinguish them from the rest
Don't insult grizzly Adams. He was mountainy.. These dudes are Fugly like the movie kingpin. Their God does not give them the right to break laws. We dont allow sharia law when Muslims kill their daughters for shaming them. we are a secular nation and God doesn't save all.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
[Missing the point flag on]
  1. When did the "right to travel" upon the public roads change into a "privilege" granted and controlled by government?
  2. When did victimless crimes become subject to strict punishment?
  3. What happened to the governments instituted under the Declaration of Independence, wherein we are told that job #1 = secure rights, and job #2 = govern those who consent?
  4. What happened to "common sense"?
When Eisenhower created the interstate highway system. They pave it they dictate the rules. Again, buy land and make a toll road If you don't like it.Stop making useless arguments to defend stupid americans.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:31 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
When Eisenhower created the interstate highway system. They pave it they dictate the rules. Again, buy land and make a toll road If you don't like it.Stop making useless arguments to defend stupid americans.
It is more a coment on the fact that we are moving to Germany in the mid 1930's to 1945.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:33 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""""Oh, and they believe in God- I'm assuming that's the reason for the scorn."""""

No, the scorn is for them breaking the law and thinking they don't have to obey laws.....and the fact that they don't care aboput other's safety.....very godly.

The scorn is for when the woman was raped by her Amish brother from the age of four and the Amish "punished" him by not letting him go to church for three weeks....sad to see you approve of this type of behaviour.

And their furniture that I've seen is cheap junk...it had STAPLES holding it together!
There are bad people in all groups- being Amish doesn't make them more likely to be pedophiles. Does having a German heritage mean you automatically want to kill millions of people? Of course not.
There are also bad leaders. I don't think it's fair to characterize a whole group based on a couple stories that got a lot of press in 2004 and 2010. Sadly, 1 in 4 girls in this country experiences sexual abuse. This is a huge problem across all sections of our country.

I'm not defending the Amish, just explaining more about the different groups. People were calling them hypocrites who were riding around in their buggies using cell phones while refusing the orange triangle signs. And that's not the case. The Amish in this story are very conservative. They don't even allow calendars with pictures on them in their homes.

I do think there is a double standard on the Amish. If they were a hippy commune or a Muslim group, people would be screaming about the government not infringing on their rights.

Communities have a right to make and enforce their own laws. If the Amish feel they can't comply with them, they can move or suffer the consequences. I would say they could vote to change them, but Amish don't believe in voting.

I think they are misguided in their beliefs, but, at least the ones here, are not hypocrites. They truly live what they believe. And their furniture and baskets are very nicely made, for prices that rival Chinese made junk.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:56 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,326 times
Just as an example of them not being hypocrites:
In 2006, a man walked into an Amish school room and after holding them hostage for 30 minutes, shot 10 little girls, ages 6-13. He then killed himself.
5 of the girls died, the other 5 all have lasting effects, brain injuries, etc.

The Amish community immediately reached out to the wife of the shooter. 30 Amish members attended the funeral service for the shooter. One Amish man hugged the shooter's father for an hour while the father grieved.
Money came in from around the world to help pay for the hospital bills. The Amish do not believe in accepting charity, so this caused some debate about what to do.

In the end, the leaders decided it was okay to accept some money to cover the hospital bills, as long as the community also set up a fund for the shooter's wife and children. This man killed little girls from their community, and in response, they gave the family compassion, forgiveness and even money.

Here's what the shooter's wife said:
Quote:
Your love for our family has helped to provide the healing we so desperately need. Gifts you've given have touched our hearts in a way no words can describe. Your compassion has reached beyond our family, beyond our community, and is changing our world, and for this we sincerely thank you.
The Amish willingness to forgo vengeance does not undo the tragedy or pardon the wrong, but rather constitutes a first step toward a future that is more hopeful. It's the same way they handle problems within the community, for right or wrong.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
In 2006, a man walked into an Amish school room and after holding them hostage for 30 minutes, shot 10 little girls, ages 6-13. He then killed himself.

The Amish community immediately reached out to the wife of the shooter. 30 Amish members attended the funeral service for the shooter. One Amish man hugged the shooter's father for an hour while the father grieved.
Money came in from around the world to help pay for the hospital bills. The Amish do not believe in accepting charity, so this caused some debate about what to do.

In the end, the leaders decided it was okay to accept some money to cover the hospital bills, as long as the community also set up a fund for the shooter's wife and children. This man killed little girls from their community, and in response, they gave the family compassion, forgiveness and even money.

The Amish willingness to forgo vengeance does not undo the tragedy or pardon the wrong, but rather constitutes a first step toward a future that is more hopeful. It's the same way they handle problems within the community, for right or wrong.
Impressive. As I wrote months ago in another thread, the Amish are probably some of the few real Christians in the US

Old 09-15-2011, 04:08 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,945 times
What I fail to understand about this is I have seen the same Amish (I live 25 miles from these jailed folks) in stores purchasing items that would seem to be more offensive to their religion than an orange triangle.

I would probably put them as borderline kooks.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times
Quote:
There are bad people in all groups- being Amish doesn't make them more likely to be pedophiles. Does having a German heritage mean you automatically want to kill millions of people? Of course not.
There are also bad leaders. I don't think it's fair to characterize a whole group based on a couple stories that got a lot of press in 2004 and 2010. Sadly, 1 in 4 girls in this country experiences sexual abuse. This is a huge problem across all sections of our country.

I'm not defending the Amish, just explaining more about the different groups. People were calling them hypocrites who were riding around in their buggies using cell phones while refusing the orange triangle signs. And that's not the case. The Amish in this story are very conservative. They don't even allow calendars with pictures on them in their homes.

I do think there is a double standard on the Amish. If they were a hippy commune or a Muslim group, people would be screaming about the government not infringing on their rights.

Communities have a right to make and enforce their own laws. If the Amish feel they can't comply with them, they can move or suffer the consequences. I would say they could vote to change them, but Amish don't believe in voting.

I think they are misguided in their beliefs, but, at least the ones here, are not hypocrites. They truly live what they believe. And their furniture and baskets are very nicely made, for prices that rival Chinese made junk.
Quote:

Yup, there are good people in all groups...so? That doesn't make them all good....they punished a man who had raped his sister for years by no letting him attend church for three weeks....that is sick? AND her family allowed it to continue ...

YOU don't live with them ...you don't know what goes on in their society.

They ARE NO different than any other group so I wish people would quit trying to make them into saints because they act goofy, use outhouses and don't bathe!

I wouldn't hold it against a family of a murderer either since THEY didn't do the murder...so now you think I'm a saint!!!????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies