Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 08:47 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
Bizzare thread. I've never "identified" myself by race be it in conversation or otherwise. Visually my race is easy to identify. It is just as easy to identify that I am a bi-pedal human.

Personally, I think those who identify themselves primarily by race, gender, sexual preference, etc... demean most of what makes them human. YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
This is where educating yourself would come in handy, because otherwise it makes you look like a fool. But we already know that liberals prefer to speak without knowing facts.

The new black panther party has nothing to do with the original black panthers, and also the heads of what used to be the black panthers have publicly stated they have no ties nor do they agree with anything the new black panthers do.
Actually I do know this. But, the original Black Panther Party is responsible for these wanna be Black Panther groups.

Quote:
And you will never see me ever accusing anyone of having privileges or opportunities I don't, because we all have the same opportunities.
So we agree.

Quote:
And it sounds like the majority of black people you have met are a small section of people that shows you a meeting the wrong crowds of people. I mean come on now, I could go visit many stereotypical trailer parks and make claims that whites are trailer park trash because the majority I have met are that way.
I live in a town that is about the quarter size of Seattle. It isn't a small trailer town or even a ghetto. I can't help who I meet. This is why I was trying to understand you better.

Quote:
I am willing to bet I worked my butt off just as much if not more then you to get where I am in life. I had nothing handed to me, and never expected anything to be handed to me.
If we seem to agree on all points then why on earth do you keep opposing me? You keep saying that I can't possibly know what it is like to go through what you have, and it seems that I can. You post to others that they should forget being proud about the color of their skin and focus on being proud of something they actually contributed to.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Actually I do know this. But, the original Black Panther Party is responsible for these wanna be Black Panther groups.

So we agree.

I live in a town that is about the quarter size of Seattle. It isn't a small trailer town or even a ghetto. I can't help who I meet. This is why I was trying to understand you better.

If we seem to agree on all points then why on earth do you keep opposing me? You keep saying that I can't possibly know what it is like to go through what you have, and it seems that I can. You post to others that they should forget being proud about the color of their skin and focus on being proud of something they actually contributed to.
I don't oppose you, but when you are trying to make an argument and you are skewing the truth, it does not help. Plus, there is the fact that you want to label all black people as one singular mindset. The same reason I am a Republican, because they believe I should be judged by my merit, not the color of my skin.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I don't oppose you, but when you are trying to make an argument and you are skewing the truth, it does not help. Plus, there is the fact that you want to label all black people as one singular mindset. The same reason I am a Republican, because they believe I should be judged by my merit, not the color of my skin.
I don't want to label all black people as having one singular mindset. I think I have expressed that quite well. How am I skewing the truth? Judging people by their merit is not just a republican thing. Sadly many republicans also judge people based on religious beliefs, and other lifestyle choices. They judge people based on wealth and most of them make the comment, "Obama was just voted in because he is black" Yeah, that sounds like a group that looks past skin color.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
I don't want to label all black people as having one singular mindset. I think I have expressed that quite well. How am I skewing the truth? Judging people by their merit is not just a republican thing. Sadly many republicans also judge people based on religious beliefs, and other lifestyle choices. They judge people based on wealth and most of them make the comment, "Obama was just voted in because he is black" Yeah, that sounds like a group that looks past skin color.
So they speak the truth about the reason Obama was elected was the color of his skin and by the way, Obama isnt black, even if you wish the one drop rule was still in effect, he is just as white as he is black. It is sad, that it was this way though.

Actually have expressed that until black people, meaning everyone stop making accusations.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
So they speak the truth about the reason Obama was elected was the color of his skin and by the way, Obama isnt black, even if you wish the one drop rule was still in effect, he is just as white as he is black. It is sad, that it was this way though.

Actually have expressed that until black people, meaning everyone stop making accusations.
That is not why he was elected.

Are you saying it is sad that Obama is mixed?

This thread is lost and pointless. You want to feel superior or to play the victim or you want to allow people to do this.... This is sad.

You claim to look past the color of skin, and focus on accomplishments, but you obviously can't look past the color of other peoples skin.... This is also sad.

Goodbye and enjoy your very own form of racial profiling.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
What Republicans don't seem to "get" is the fact that MANY (personally conservative leaning)Black Americans would vote for Republicans IF they stopped making us "the enemy" in the majority of their rhetoric. When people who identify themselves as Republicans also consistently vilify Black Americans as a monolithic group, why would that group turn around and vote for people who consistently express a general disdain for them?

When the Republican leadership figures that out they will receive a larger percentage of the Black American vote. And let's not forget that Hispanics (with the exception of Cubanos) and Asians also vote primarily Democratic as well.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Default Got herd mentality, group think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What Republicans don't seem to "get" is the fact that MANY (personally conservative leaning)Black Americans would vote for Republicans IF they stopped making us "the enemy" in the majority of their rhetoric. When people who identify themselves as Republicans also consistently vilify Black Americans as a monolithic group, why would that group turn around and vote for people who consistently express a general disdain for them?

When the Republican leadership figures that out they will receive a larger percentage of the Black American vote. And let's not forget that Hispanics (with the exception of Cubanos) and Asians also vote primarily Democratic as well.

Ah, Collectivism!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I personally would feel awkward asking a new acquaintance, especially a business professional, whether they preferred for me to call black or African American. But hey, that's just me.
Why not just not call them anything, just treat them as a fellow human being, and if they bring it up then take your cue? If it matters enough to them they will.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:04 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Please know that I am echoing their explanations and not agreeing with or excusing them.

One of them said she was raised to believe that Black people were untrustworthy.

The other had a series of bad experiences with Black people.

In their minds, those reasons justified being racist, and even through their cloaks of deafness and blindness, they were able to distinguish white people from Black people. (I don't know the details, e.g. how they treated mixed people, whether they went by the "one drop rule" etc.)
Well, that's a sad, shallow existence. Most people of average intelligence realize there are good and bad in every race. I have had bad experiences with white people. But, that certainly hasn't influenced my relationship with white people in general. Likewise, I have had bad experiences with black people. Should I hate all black people, including myself, due to the behavior of some? That defies any semblance of logic.

People are people. Some are nice, while others are mean-spirited and hateful. That's just the way it is. Those who choose to relate to an entire race on the basis of their experience with a select group, should open their minds, and stop looking for excuses to hate.

I know a woman who was raised in an all-white environment. She too, had been taught that black people are lowlifes, and not to be trusted. She was very aloof, and avoided even cursory contact with me. I didn't question her behavior. Actually, I have never allowed myself to worry about how others choose to relate to me. I treat others as I would like to be treated, and leave it at that. If you like me, fine. If you don't, fine. Just don't pretend. That has always been my philosophy.

Well, as fate would have it, I became her new boss. The expression on her face was quite a Kodak moment. Now, she had to interact with me, or find another job. Initially, her disdain for me was palpable; while I remained professional, affable, and treated her fairly. Frankly, as long as she did her job, and did nothing to undermine or disrespect me, I could not have cared less how she felt. To make a very long story short, she eventually told me that she had never allowed herself to actually know a black person, because she had been taught to hate. She said her experience as my direct report helped her realize she had been fed a lie. We worked together for several years, and although I left the company over 10 years ago, we remain in contact, and she has yet to miss calling me on my birthday.

Bottom line: We will never understand each other if we refuse to even try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies