Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:32 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
What? a) That a student can't believe or even verbalize those words? Or b) that a student can't beat the cr*p out of a black student or a female student based on those beliefs?

I don't have a problem with "a." But "b" should definitely not be allowed.
You do realize that this bill would protect a black student from a)?

But not a gay student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 03:35 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Bullying does happen, but it can't be accepted in the schools. It never has been, it's just been easier for some to ignore it. This is especially true if the adults involved also have issues with the bullied kids (they are fat, gay, different religion, etc.). There needs to be rules in place to hold the schools accountable for inaction. If there is a bully then often the response is for the bullied student to leave or change schools because there was no way to protect them. If we instead say the bully needs to leave, and give the schools the power to expell them, then that would help considerably since once the victim is gone a new one will be found.

I don't think it's necessary to actually have "protected classes" among students.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:38 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I believe religion in general sets back society. These are people no different than those against the civil rights movement in the 60's.
Oh, please! What an ignorant statement!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:39 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
She was sent death threats for her views, and still receives them from "tolerant" progressives who are angry that she doesn't think like they do. Yes, death threats are a form of bullying. It's also a criminal act.
Do you have a source to back up those claims? I'd like to see proof that she actually received death threats. And if she did, I'd like to see proof that they came from so-called "progressives" and not just some random crack pot looking for attention.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:40 PM

No wonder that bullying of gays is so prevalent in America. Some people are incapable of feel empathy for homosexuals. I really think that a great many people in our country wouldn't bat an eyelash if gays were treated the way Jews were treated during WWII. Or at the very least would do nothing about it.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:40 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Bullying is a manufactured event brought on by three decades of helicopter parents, incessant coddling, and big government schemes to reward personal irresponsibility. Coupled with the fact that homosexuals constantly and intentionally flaunt their abnormal bedroom behavior and you have a society that is sick and tired of having its religion being challenged in the town square at the behest of a segment of society who believes that male/male sex is somehow normal and natural. Kudos to Michigan Republicans for not caving to the politically correct, morally corrupt Leftists who feel that religion should be checked at the door while your boys play with other boys in the powder room.
Very well said! I could not have done better. In fact, I didn't know what to say to this kind of ignorance on display.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:54 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,640,177 times
Quote:
You do realize that this bill would protect a black student from a)?

But not a gay student.
Like I said, I don't have a problem with people's beliefs or even the verbalization of them. Its the acts or threats of violence that students need to be protected from.

I don't like the whole "tolerance" teaching thing, where schools try and make everybody like everybody else. I think anti-bullying programs should be about making kids aware that even if they don't like somebody they still have to act civilly toward them.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:56 PM

605 posts, read 705,536 times
I find it ironic how while growing up, conservative parents were the first ones to stomp to the school, yell, threaten, and complain that school administrators did nothing for their child if they were harassed in any way, shape, or form - but ignore any other forms of bullying.

Growing up a minority and having a few friends who were also minorities - we always quietly accepted it. I think that is the difference in between "back then" and now. People just didn't talk about it as much and there was less public awareness. Bullying still went on. Kids can be cruel. Just as adults can be now.
Kids who displayed any signs of being different, especially boys who exhibited more feminine characteristics (I remember one particular boy in the 5th grade who had longer hair and dressed well) were picked on relentlessly and bullied (sometimes physically) to the point that I know he suffered extreme depression and was miserable I'm sure for years. Self-preservation for the few of us who could relate, kept us from speaking up.

Bullying just wasn't in talked about at all. Kids (and most victims) will sadly put up with anything unless someone speaks up for them. The very nature of what is taking place, puts fear into the victims from doing anything about it. Those of you who are saying "deal with it", I guess you were either of the crowd who watched it going on and did nothing about it (perhaps you were like me, and you were afraid to speak up?) or were apart of the bullying - or perhaps even more sad - just don't care about anyone else besides you and your own.

Gay or straight, no matter what race/ethnicity, fat or thin, religious beliefs of all types or none at all, our society should not deteriorate into a "dog eat dog" world... Moral anarchy.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh, please! What an ignorant statement!
Which one? There were two.

The fact that the belief in a divine being we have zero proof for, that cares what we do with our naughty bits is a detriment to mankind as a whole.

Or the fact we think it's fine to deny the rights of a group of people based on the belief in our invisible friend.

Neither seem ignorant to me.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:44 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
"But the Michigan legislature is doing its best to make me hang my head in shame. On Wednesday, the Republican-controlled state senate passed an anti-bullying bill that manages to protect school bullies instead of those they victimize. It accomplishes this impressive feat by allowing students, teachers, and other school employees to claim that “a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction” justifies their harassment."
Is this what you call bullying ?

"Michigan's Senate passed an anti-bullying measure today, but at the last minute Republicans added a clause reasserting freedom of expression for "religious or moral viewpoints.""

So to you, "freedom of expression" equates to bullying?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies