Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:23 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Sure. Every year you go back, it was also a more homogeneous society. Less outcasts. Less weird hairstyles, less clothing options for people to laugh at you for, mostly the same music everyone listened to, less over weight kids to pick on, more stable families, and more middle class people. Everyone went to church, even if they didn't believe it. And no child would every be comfortable enough to admit they were a homosexual back then. Oh and no Facebook, email listings, smartphones etc. to harass people nonstop.

So those days are over. Might be time to adjust for the present and the future.
lol @ the notion that people are being bullied through electronic means. Close your damn web browser, delete the texts on your phone without reading them, don't read the emails. Kids these days think that they just HAVE to be addicted to these things and just can't help themselves. It's dangerous and not at all healthy. It is going to lead to the destruction of our youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 02:34 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
people are too sensitive today, in the 60's there was bullying but no one killed themselves.
Oh, but they did kill themselves in the 60s... The numbers of both suicide attempts and fatalities have risen steadily in the '90s, following similar jumps in the 1960s, '70s, and '80s. Today, an estimated 276,000 kids between the ages of 14 and 17 try killing themselves each year, and more than 5,000 succeed. Teen & Young Adult Suicide: Light & Shadows

Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,515,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
lol @ the notion that people are being bullied through electronic means. Close your damn web browser, delete the texts on your phone without reading them, don't read the emails. Kids these days think that they just HAVE to be addicted to these things and just can't help themselves. It's dangerous and not at all healthy. It is going to lead to the destruction of our youth.
You don't get what I'm saying. You don't need a computer to be bullied that way. Other children spread lies, rumors, disinformation, faster than you can blink. Post doctored photos of the victim doing indecent acts, etc.

But that's really beside the point. Times have changed. Can't look back on the good ol' days and say "Well, when I went to school we did that, so kids today should do this" It doesn't always work like that.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Why Does Michigan’s Anti-Bullying Bill Protect Religious Tormenters? | Swampland | TIME.com

Apparently it's ok to bully people if there's a religious reason. Are these people setting society back?

I went to the link and have trouble finding any facts that support the headline.

Please point to some facts that show a bill that let's people bully others if for religious reasons.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:05 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
If you want to be openly gay then wait until to upper classmen years at high school at the very minimum. You can be gay all you want in college or after high school. I am surprised a middle schooler even knew what "being gay' wasat such a young age. A tad disturbing almost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I agree with this statement. Why on earth would someone knowingly open themselves up to inevitable ridicule? I'm not suggesting that ridicule is a foregone conclusion necessarily, but why chance it? Society will never be 100% comfortable with homosexuality. Waiting until a person is older and mentally able to deal with the circumstance makes more sense.
You two are fine pieces of work. Shocking really.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Give me a break, never a reason to bully, except insecurities within your own self. Todays bullys and believe me i know a lot of children who have been beaten to a pulp by bullys, so give it a rest.

Todays bullys unlike those of yesteryear, mean to hurt, and get even with the person who is unlike themself. And some bullys have too killed.

I watched a story once on bullys, made me sick, their goal in life is too hurt and make people suffer who are not popular to their standard, or different then themself.

People did kill themselves years ago that were bullied, you just did not hear about it, was swept under the rug back then.

People are not too sensitve today, they are just smarter and wiser about people in general who have gone over the deep end.
That is certainly not true. We have always had bullies and always will. Humans are no different today than 40 - 50 -60 years ago. And they aren't just in school. We have bully cops, bully DAs, bully bosses, bully parents, etc, etc.

We don't need more laws... that will accomplish nothing positive.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,640,177 times
Don't have time to read through this whole thread. But I have to wonder if the Bill actually protects religious students who "bully" gay students or, in actuality, protects the religious students right to verbalize their belief that homosexuality is wrong? Huge difference. I suspect its the latter.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:14 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I went to the link and have trouble finding any facts that support the headline.

Please point to some facts that show a bill that let's people bully others if for religious reasons.
"But the Michigan legislature is doing its best to make me hang my head in shame. On Wednesday, the Republican-controlled state senate passed an anti-bullying bill that manages to protect school bullies instead of those they victimize. It accomplishes this impressive feat by allowing students, teachers, and other school employees to claim that “a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction” justifies their harassment."

"This year, Republicans only agreed to consider an anti-bullying measure that did not require school districts to report bullying incidents, did not include any provisions for enforcement or teacher training, and did not hold administrators accountable if they fail to act. And they fought back Democratic attempts to enumerate particular types of students who are prone to being bullied, such as religious and racial minorities, and gay students. But it was the addition of special protections for religiously-motivated bullying that led all 11 Democratic senators to vote against the legislation they had long championed."

Read more: Michigan's Anti-Bullying Bill: Protecting Religious Tormenters? | Swampland | TIME.com

It Wouldn't Be Hard to Get Around Michigan's Anti-Bullying Bill - National - The Atlantic Wire

State Senate Passes Anti-Bullying Bill

Old 11-04-2011, 03:15 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well there you have it. Some will excuse the bully because the bullying fit into their bias.
Excuses for Bullies.
1. He's the star quarterback - he was only joking around didnt mean anything by it.
2. gay people deserve it for being abnormal
3. They weren'y being bullies they were just trying to toughen that kid up.
4.( This one was really used a few years ago by parents from Mt. Pocono ) It was all blown out of proportion and exagerated.( When members of the H.S football team were arrested for sodomizing members of the JV team with pinecones). Several of the kids required medical attention.
Excuses abound when it comes to bullies. The biggest shame is who is making the excuses are the adults.
So we know AeroGuy is pro bully?

Old 11-04-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Don't have time to read through this whole thread. But I have to wonder if the Bill actually protects religious students who "bully" gay students or, in actuality, protects the religious students right to verbalize their belief that homosexuality is wrong? Huge difference. I suspect its the latter.

Yes. I read the entire link. I could find nothing to support the headline.

Sounds like the OP is short on facts and just likes to bash Republicans and religious people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies