Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 05:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times

Advertisements

I've come across people saying "there has always been bullying in schools and there always will be."

I do not accept that point of view. Before the Civil War there were advocates of slavery who said "There was always slavery and there will always be slavery."

No kid deserves to be bullied.

The bully is engaging in an unacceptable behavior, and he or she must be must not be allowed to keep on doing it without any reprimand or punishment.

What about consequences for this kind of negative behavior?

What about responsibility for your actions? The bully is hurting another person. Is the bully to be left off the hook and go away scott-free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
They threw the freedom of expression and religion paragraph in the bill about bullying. By throwing that line in that bill it protects those who are bullying a gay student and claiming they are doing so for religious reasons from getting in trouble for it. If that wasn't the case then there would be zero reason whatsoever to include it in the anti-bullying bill.

Nice try, but no it doesn't. There is no protection in the bill for bullying. It' protects freedom of expression, not bullying.

Show me language that says it's OK to bully anybody for any reason.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:12 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've come across people saying "there has always been bullying in schools and there always will be."
Yes, and it's true.

Quote:
I do not accept that point of view. Before the Civil War there were advocates of slavery who said "There was always slavery and there will always be slavery."
What does slavery have to do with bullying?

Quote:
No kid deserves to be bullied.
I agree. Neither does any adult.

Quote:
The bully is engaging in an unacceptable behavior, and he or she must be must not be allowed to keep on doing it without any reprimand or punishment.

What about consequences for this kind of negative behavior?
We have laws on the books that prohibit violence.

Quote:
What about responsibility for your actions? The bully is hurting another person. Is the bully to be left off the hook and go away scott-free?
No. But we don't need new laws to make that happen.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Nice try, but no it doesn't. There is no protection in the bill for bullying. It' protects freedom of expression, not bullying.

Show me language that says it's OK to bully anybody for any reason.
It doesn't say its "OK" to bully, but it protects those who bully for religious reasons.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
This is indeed true. Bullying did not exist prior to this time. It was invented in 1981 and named for it's founder: Jacob T. Bulley. I hate that guy.
Bulleycrap. Bullying has been around forever. Some people just have a need to look down on others, in some bizarre way it elevates their pathetic lack of self worth.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
I love the people who say that America is full of suicidal sissies nowadays. Um newsflash, the suicidal rate has actually down way down since the 60's...

Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Why Does Michigan’s Anti-Bullying Bill Protect Religious Tormenters? | Swampland | TIME.com

Apparently it's ok to bully people if there's a religious reason. Are these people setting society back?
This is why I despise laws that address special interest groups. Bullying is bullying regardless of one's gender, race, religion or anything else. The laws apply equally across the board and all could be categorized hate crimes. No one portion of the population gets more "special rights" than another.

Ron Paul gets that morality cannot be legislated. Why don't you?

Old 11-05-2011, 12:32 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Where were your parents? That's the first question that needs to be answered and likely provides some insight into why your childhood was marred by fear.

Where were they?
i was too ashamed to tell my parents. My mom isn't a very understanding person and had an explosive temper herself, so she wasn't someone i felt comfortable even talking too.. my dad worked two jobs and was rarely home.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:30 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Which one? There were two.

The fact that the belief in a divine being we have zero proof for, that cares what we do with our naughty bits is a detriment to mankind as a whole.

Or the fact we think it's fine to deny the rights of a group of people based on the belief in our invisible friend.

Neither seem ignorant to me.
No proof of the existance of God? Amazing. Have you ever looked around you? He has given us all the evidence we need. He even walked among us at one time, in the person of Jesus Christ. I guess you don't believe in His existance either.

So, what happens when you die? You just go, "poof" gone?

What sets us apart from the beasts? It is what is known as the "soul". The soul never dies.

But, I realize it is a lost cause to argue with someone like you. You believe you are your own God, and there is none higher. How arrogant.

Like I said, ignorance. I guess maybe it really is bliss ... right? You do not have to answer to anyone? You alluded to that above. Have all the sex you want with anyone you choose who is a willing partner? No responsibility if a child results? Animals do that.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No proof of the existance of God? Amazing. Have you ever looked around you? He has given us all the evidence we need. He even walked among us at one time, in the person of Jesus Christ. I guess you don't believe in His existance either.
You CHOOSE to see the divine in things around you. I do not. I see the natural world that came about on it's own. Do I know exactly how it happened? No. But I'm OK saying I don't know. I however cannot logically jump to divine creation of something I don't know. You also choose to believe that Jesus was a god. I do not. I have no reason to believe in what the Bible has to say about the divinity of some guy more than 2000 years ago.

How do you KNOW that Jesus is divine? But not Mohammad. Or the the god of the Bible exists and not Vishnu? How do you KNOW that any god exist instead of none at all.

Quote:
So, what happens when you die? You just go, "poof" gone?
Yep.

Quote:
What sets us apart from the beasts? It is what is known as the "soul". The soul never dies.
The soul is a fairy tale.

Quote:
But, I realize it is a lost cause to argue with someone like you. You believe you are your own God, and there is none higher. How arrogant.
I am no more a god than you are. But I am much more a god than your god is since I exist.

I am anything but arrogant since I am without divine or cosmic purpose. My existence is meaningless in the long run.

Quote:
Like I said, ignorance. I guess maybe it really is bliss ... right? You do not have to answer to anyone? You alluded to that above. Have all the sex you want with anyone you choose who is a willing partner? No responsibility if a child results? Animals do that.
Your right I don't have the burden of the unrealized expectations of a divine sky daddy hanging over me. I don't have to worry about offending a cosmic boggieman. Since divine beings don't exist I don't use my twisted beliefs in them to look down on others.

Who ever said anything about having all the sex I want? (as fun as that sounds) People should be able to have sex with whomever they wish as long as that partner is able to consent.

Continue to use the belief in a nonexistent being to justify bigotry. I guess it's much easier that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies