Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
The Main Way they protect our freedoms, be it in peacetime or wartime is by simply "BEING." No, not playing poetic games here.....True Psychology is that the very appearance, oh dangme, there is a better word....of Strength, deters crime.

By having the strongest, and most dignified military in the world, we are safer. We were much safer under Reagan than we are with BO because of this dignity, and honor thing, and the strength that our enemies perceived. THAT's it! LOL at myself....

the very perception of strength keeps us safe, and with BO, he is what he has to be perceived as....a leader that doesn't care about us and our country "as founded" that had rather apologize for us, and what we are and believe in, insult us for things, promise that if we are bombed by a nuke that WE WILL NOT retaliate!! and much more.

We are in more danger than in my lifetime of mid-fifties, with this egotist, manchild Commmunist at the helm of a nation that he is most unfit to lead.

Our military always has been the main reason we weren't attacked right on our shores. No wonder some conspiracy nuts are convinced that 911 was an inside job, BUT.....

the lines of even this do get very blurry when the enemy isn't from a particular country, but of a "mindset" that exists in many countries.

You cannot compare what happened in the fifties to what is going on now, simply because capitalism has become more global along with greed on an exponential level many of the people who look back at that time with fondness have no clue about things of this nature:

Interview - Confessions of an Economic Hit Man - Part I - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameolover View Post
There's nothing holding back Muslims from committing acts of terror in America, militarily speaking. If they REALLY hated us so bad, we would be regularly attacked by them.

And if we had no military, so what? China, for example, is better off trading with us than attacking us. America's military might itself is what makes us so powerful; there's nothing that special about the land itself that would make people itching to conquer it.
Are you really not able to listen to how illogical you sound? Whose going to protect us from that physical, violent and fatal attack by a Islamic radical group? Who? No, we wouldn't be regularly attacked by them because the truth is that the country is doing a decent job of preventing that and also, there, thankfully, aren't enough wackos out there to do it as often as you are suggesting.

You sound really stupid and unreasonable. I normally wouldn't call someone stupid, but you deserve it. "And if we had no military?" We'd be SITTING DUCKS. Don't you think that without a military, we'd eventually be confronted? There are countries without a military or with horrible military, and they have to wait around while begging the U.N. to help them. They have to hope and pray that someone will come to their aid.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
There's nothing holding back Muslims from committing acts of terror in America, militarily speaking. If they REALLY hated us so bad, we would be regularly attacked by them.

And if we had no military, so what? China, for example, is better off trading with us than attacking us. America's military might itself is what makes us so powerful; there's nothing that special about the land itself that would make people itching to conquer it.
Do you know what the greatest act of terrorism on this soil was? Those two clowns in D.C shooting random people! If the terrorist who flew the planes in the the towers had co-ordinated random attacks around the country at different places at the same time, do you realize how much confusion that would have created? There would be nothing the police,army, secret service or any other law enforcement agency could do about it.

I really believe that the banks, oil companies, and military weapons companies along with the politicians keep things going in order to create fear and for us to give up our liberties and keep money flowing towards their pockets.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:53 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Are we speaking Japanese?
I hear the language to be learning is Mandarin.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Tonight O'Reilly discussed a case in Morgan Hill where 4 students wore T shirts with the American Flag, during Cinco de Mayo. They were sent home. They sued, they lost. The ruling suggested this free speech act could be disruptive or offensive to the 40% Mexican population in the school.
What freedom - that's insane. Free speech is a Constitutional right that shall not be infringed.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Are you really not able to listen to how illogical you sound? Whose going to protect us from that physical, violent and fatal attack by a Islamic radical group? Who? No, we wouldn't be regularly attacked by them because the truth is that the country is doing a decent job of preventing that and also, there, thankfully, aren't enough wackos out there to do it as often as you are suggesting.

You sound really stupid and unreasonable. I normally wouldn't call someone stupid, but you deserve it. "And if we had no military?" We'd be SITTING DUCKS. Don't you think that without a military, we'd eventually be confronted? There are countries without a military or with horrible military, and they have to wait around while begging the U.N. to help them. They have to hope and pray that someone will come to their aid.
You are way off-base.
Did anybody say we should do away with the military? No.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Do you know what the greatest act of terrorism on this soil was? Those two clowns in D.C shooting random people! If the terrorist who flew the planes in the the towers had co-ordinated random attacks around the country at different places at the same time, do you realize how much confusion that would have created? There would be nothing the police,army, secret service or any other law enforcement agency could do about it.

I really believe that the banks, oil companies, and military weapons companies along with the politicians keep things going in order to create fear and for us to give up our liberties and keep money flowing towards their pockets.
I'm sure of it. Now we hear that the TSA scanners are banned in Europe because they can cause cancer. Our scanners are 100 times more powerful than what you get at the dentists office. Europe uses radio frequency for their scanners, that yield the same result, but safer.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:53 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
I would even go so far as to say the individuals in the military are not the heroes that are made out to be and that i don't even LIKE the troops for the most part (way too conservative for my taste). I've known military people and most of them have an arrogance and violence to them that I find utterly off-putting. Most of the cool military people I know regret having been in the military in the first place.
I agree. My experience is the same. The vibe I get in military towns is an itchy uncomfortable psychological violence and disdain for life. The military personnel that I encounter harbor intense resentment over being told what to do day in and day out and they take that rage out on fellow citizens by showing no regard for rules of the road and other laws. The military life breeds a feeling of contempt in a majority of its participants, contempt for being forced to see the dark side of the world that doesn't need one. One loses one's innocence by participating in the immorality of war and knowing firsthand the wastefulness and destruction the military thrives on. It goes against all human instinct to be destructive of each other without reason and in the military, such sentiment forms the foundation of its culture. It is anti-life and mankind's worst endeavor.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
The Red scare was another load of BS.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I was referring to the Wounded Warrior Project and the like. These men come back handicapped and unable to provide for their families, so we donate to help them. A worthy cause, but I'm sure these men would prefer to have the ability to do for themselves. The question is, was the mission worth it? I think not.
Have you seen a list of the countries that are most free? How come they aren't attacking other countries to preserve their freedoms?
Country rankings for trade, business, fiscal, monetary, financial, labor and investment freedoms

If donating to wounded soldiers makes some feel good I dont' see any problem with it.

What do all those countries have in common on your list? The trade oil with US dollars. You may not agree to war over our economy but it's been set up that way since we cut the deal with OPEC back in the seventies. They sell oil in dollars and we give em military support and put a whuppin on anybody who tries to buck the status quo. Wars have been fought for much more or much less throughout history. Would complete economic collapse and anarchy in the streets be better then sending our armed military to protect the economy? I guess that is the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies