Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times

Advertisements

I think people are bothered too easy if things aren't perfect for them. An airplane flight is a few hours out of your life. Bring a book, or IPOD, put your earphones on etc. and ignore the people around you. People of all ages smell, are rude, fat and stupid. Get used to it or never leave your house. Iv' never been on a flight that was so bad I need to make a thread about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 01:52 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
The last flight I was on my friend and I ended up next to a young couple with a baby. They were very nice and said they hoped that their baby's fussing on the plane wouldn't bother us and gave us airline wine and beer coupons just in case. Maybe other parents should try this approach.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:00 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I don't fly that often but I've had a couple long flights and didn't have problems with kids running around. I had kids with me and they just wanted to watch tv and read. If there are kids being crazy it's a problem with the parents who are probably just ignorant fools. No rules can keep us safe from people like that. Babies crying, that's part of life and even the parents don't want to have that happen but it's sometimes out of our control.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM

109 posts, read 231,160 times
My son and I ( 9 months) flew twice this weekend and both times we were either seated in the far back of the plane or all of the families with children were made to sit together. I appreciated being near other moms because we can relate and there isn't as much pressure to make sure your kid doesn't smile, laugh, or move an inch. On the first flight an older gentleman behind us made a huge show of calling the flight attendant and having his seat changed because he didn't want to be near a baby.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
With the oversized backpack???
Oh God...i saw some backpacks so large on my last flight that i don't know how these people don't throw their backs out. This is for a 4 hour flight. Who needs that much crap ON an airplane?

I take a small bag with my cellphone, Ipod, a few snacks inside, my chargers for my devices, and a toothbrush/paste. That's MORE than enough stuff to take on a short flight.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:04 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh God...i saw some backpacks so large on my last flight that i don't know how these people don't throw their backs out. This is for a 4 hour flight. Who needs that much crap ON an airplane?

I take a small bag with my cellphone, Ipod, a few snacks inside, my chargers for my devices, and a toothbrush/paste. That's MORE than enough stuff to take on a short flight.
A friend just flew 'short' flights going back and forth to where she was going to be camping out for 2 weeks.
She needed everything she was going to use to fit in one backpack....tent, sleeping bag, clothes, etc etc etc.
There's one reason for ya'.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:08 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I think people are bothered too easy if things aren't perfect for them. An airplane flight is a few hours out of your life. Bring a book, or IPOD, put your earphones on etc. and ignore the people around you. People of all ages smell, are rude, fat and stupid. Get used to it or never leave your house. Iv' never been on a flight that was so bad I need to make a thread about it.
I agree. Being in the military puts things in pespective for me. I have spent over 72 hours waiting for a flight in an area that smelled like an open sewer, sleeping on concrete under the open sky.

Having done this, I find civilians behavior laughable sometimes. I remember waiting for a flight out of La Guardia into Boston once where people had to wait for an extra hour, and this lady was screaming at the guy at the desk that he should have told her there was going to be a wait so she could have plugged in her iPad so her kids would have an electronic book to read. The other customers were nodding in agreement with her "righteous" fury. I just chuckled.

Happiness comes from within. A big part of being happy is finding contenment with what you have, where you are. So your flight has a crying baby on it? Big deal.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I completely agree!

Trust me, at some point even you (general) has annoyed or pissed someone off. A little empathy goes a long way.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I agree. Being in the military puts things in pespective for me. I have spent over 72 hours waiting for a flight in an area that smelled like an open sewer, sleeping on concrete under the open sky.

Having done this, I find civilians behavior laughable sometimes. I remember waiting for a flight out of La Guardia into Boston once where people had to wait for an extra hour, and this lady was screaming at the guy at the desk that he should have told her there was going to be a wait so she could have plugged in her iPad so her kids would have an electronic book to read. The other customers were nodding in agreement with her "righteous" fury. I just chuckled.

Happiness comes from within. A big part of being happy is finding contenment with what you have, where you are. So your flight has a crying baby on it? Big deal.
I wish we'd get high speed rail but there are better ways to travel than flying.

Worst plane flight ever! - YouTube

Old 11-20-2011, 04:41 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,566,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Nothing worse then the parents who use their "kids" as a means to pre-board the plane. Unless you got like 4 kids under 3, there is no reason for your worthless rear end to pre-board. It's just another excuse for others to game the system to avoid waiting to board like everyone else.

I HATE flying these days.
I work for an airline and this is true. A lot of people use their kids as some sort of special entitlement when traveling. Also there is nothing more miserable than an unruly child close to you on a flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies