Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:29 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Graham Lord, Man Misdiagnosed With Stomach Cancer, Sues Health District After Stomach Removed

The more the doctors and hospitals get packed up..... the more this stuff will happen
Dont you think if that was the case, that this scenario would be common place in Australia and other countries with universal health care?

As an Australian, I can assure you, this is not common.

Like every profession, there are good and bad doctors.

I can say that after the treatment I recently received (which cost me next to nothing) I was pleased with the care I received.

...and I didn't wait a second for any of it. Upon the GP diagnosing the issue, I had blood tests & ultrasound the next day and CT scan the following week (after initial results came in). Was able to undertake radiation therapy within the next week.

I also have private health insurance. I didn't need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I also have private health insurance. I didn't need it.
If the system is so great , why would you also waste money on private HI?

Old 12-09-2011, 04:54 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
If the system is so great , why would you also waste money on private HI?
A question thats also been asked by the courts in UHC countries when it turns out that insurance cannot deliver services comparable to the public provision, and the insurers often end up dumping the patients on the public system anyway.

Many insurance companies have gotten burned when they've tried to copy the gigantic revenue stream US insurance has from health care, and it has turned out that delivering that level of service is just unacceptable in a UHC country.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Go get hit by a car and see if an ambulance takes you to a hospital or shows up and searches you for an insurance card and leaves you laying there if you don't have one.
That isn't health insurance.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:22 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That isn't health insurance.
You didn't ask me about health insurance. You asked about health care. This is what you asked...........

"Well do forgive my idiocy and entertain me. Please explain to me how health care is available to all in the United States."

You do realize there is a difference betwix health care and health insurance right??? Sadly many of you don't. Just because your not insured doesn't mean the hospital will toss you out into the parking lot to die. I think many believe they will do this too. So many uninformed people.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
You didn't ask me about health insurance. You asked about health care. This is what you asked...........

"Well do forgive my idiocy and entertain me. Please explain to me how health care is available to all in the United States."

You do realize there is a difference betwix health care and health insurance right??? Sadly many of you don't. Just because your not insured doesn't mean the hospital will toss you out into the parking lot to die. I think many believe they will do this too. So many uninformed people.
Of course I understand the difference. I thought, on this thread, that we were using the terms interchangeably though since the topic is Socialized Medicine. Like another poster said, yes, if an uninsured person is hit by a car he will be transferred to a hospital and treated. However, that person would not be able to afford medications, follow up appointments and occupational therapy to help him fully recover.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,399 times
Quote:
You do realize there is a difference betwix health care and health insurance right???
Much like there is a big difference between health care and emergency care.

Anyway, since you capitalize socialized medicine, I'd be interested to know how you believe the european UHC nations organize the delivery of health care?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:42 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
The terms are not interchangeable. They are two different animals. Like I said illegals figured out how to get treated without insurance. Hell I read a sob story back when the healthcare fiasco was going on about how this place that was giving free kidney dialysis to illegals was having to shut down because their funding ran out. How they hell do they find a way to "get er done" all the time?? I guess they don't sit around whining all day long and go find help. Plenty of charitable orgs and not for profit this and that who will help. That is too much work for some to go through they just want everything handed to em for free on a platter to boot.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Hey, I don't care... I admittedly enjoy ruffling feathers. This premise of this thread doesn't necessarily resonate with my personal convictions.

But I will say this, I guarantee you that there are times when this dude has thought "I wonder what would have happened under the alternative"

Old 12-09-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
The terms are not interchangeable. They are two different animals. Like I said illegals figured out how to get treated without insurance. Hell I read a sob story back when the healthcare fiasco was going on about how this place that was giving free kidney dialysis to illegals was having to shut down because their funding ran out. How they hell do they find a way to "get er done" all the time?? I guess they don't sit around whining all day long and go find help. Plenty of charitable orgs and not for profit this and that who will help. That is too much work for some to go through they just want everything handed to em for free on a platter to boot.
I thought they were, on this thread. *shrug* It really doesn't change the point most of us are making. Charitable organizations and not-for-profits haven't picked up the slack thus far. What makes you think this will change? They simply don't have the resources to help all. Hell, one could spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a simple knee surgery, let alone therapy and medication.

No, the current system is not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies