Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should airport security in America look like?
No security at all. Let's preserve our freedom. 9 15.52%
Reduced security. The guys with the box cutters and shoe bombs may have gotten through, but we should just live with that risk. 26 44.83%
Same level of security as now. I'd rather sacrifice some freedom in the security line for the odds of a safer flight. 19 32.76%
Greater security. Let's reduce the risk as much as humanly possible at the expense of personal freedom. 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:58 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Should we just ban the TSA and let anyone with a ticket onto planes?
Who is "we"?

The airlines should be responsible for their own security and pilots allowed to carry a weapon in the cockpit.
The inept actions of the FAA are what created the conditions for 9/11 in the first place.
Who really feels safer with government in charge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:59 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
I think they can clean out the TSA and make them function better. Right now, they're spotty at best.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,534 times
I see the fear mongering is working

Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Obviously, naked air travel is the answer.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Honestly, now that we've moved across the country from our families, we fly quite a bit. I do not mind the TSA/security crap we have to go through. I only flew a couple of times before 9/11 when I was a young kid, so I don't remember how lax it used to be. So maybe b/c I have nothing to compare it to, I don't really mind going through security as it is now. I feel safe when I fly, that's how it should be. The new body scanners are not the "naked scanners" like they used to be, either. The pat-downs are a little "friendly" but it's not like they're doing cavity searches.
And folks, this is how you make changes..slowly over time. The above poster only knows airport security since 9/11 and accepts it as the norm.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What freedom are they taking away? Is there a "freedom to hijack planes" in the constitution? The constitution mandates the government to defent the citizens. You are free to not use the airports, if it bothers you.
Well they're not doing such a great job along our borders against the drug cartels. The ranchers down there have to ride their land armed.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It seems that a common theme is that the TSA is a bunch of goose-stepping Nazis bent on taking away our freedom. So...what should the alternative look like? Should we can the whole thing and just let anyone with a ticket get on the plane, no questions asked? Or should we go back to the same security setup that let those guys with box cutters onto planes? What's the better setup?

Yours is a poll of no good choices and hence I won't vote.

We do not need TSA but that isn't saying we should not have security checks.

The box cutters would have done nothing had all airlines had a no open door policy for the cockpit... a simple solution that gets the job done.

install video in the planes so the captain can look and see that all is in order., have it web cast so others can monitor as well.

I say let the airlines provide their security checks.

I have a pocket knife on my key chain and have made it through TSA and airport security many times with it. I went to Halloween Horror nights at Universal and was immediately discovered. I actually forget the thing is there. So my belief that these people need to be around and trample on the rights of people and use fear to sell their BS just doesn't work for me.

Here is the reality. --- The American people have been scared by the events of 9/11 so they are willing to give up the things that made this country great, namely the Constitution on the grounds of "being safe"
yet TSA fails regularly at their role. So then some well connected politicians push to have airports buy million dollar scanners... of course these politicians are making a fortune on these sales.

So once again the people are being herded to make others rich and still not get what they want or think they are paying for.

Now put yourself in the mindset of these Dbag terrorists. You want to inflict physical damage, you want to cripple an economy. The plane trick was done... will you try that again? NO. you will think up a new plan, one that will be as easy to do. I won't put any of those ideas out there but you can imagine many ways to hurt this country that are easy and effective.

So all these fearful people are simply not safe, no matter how much of their freedom they give up. The question is, How much are they willing to give up for this artificial and false feeling of safety?

The government, no matter how well intentioned can not curtail the ill will of all people. Do you think looking at why someone would have this ill will might be of value? Could it be when you invade a country and impose your will and slaughter 130,000 of their people you might not win friends?

I propose more goodwill came from the rescue of 13 Iranian sailors from pirates than any occupation ever could. I further suggest investing in peace will give us more safety than any TSA screener.

Any war waged so a few select people can get rich will never end well.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well they're not doing such a great job along our borders against the drug cartels. The ranchers down there have to ride their land armed.
Only a fool would expect to be protected 100%.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Yours is a poll of no good choices and hence I won't vote.

We do not need TSA but that isn't saying we should not have security checks.

The box cutters would have done nothing had all airlines had a no open door policy for the cockpit... a simple solution that gets the job done.

install video in the planes so the captain can look and see that all is in order., have it web cast so others can monitor as well.

I say let the airlines provide their security checks.

I have a pocket knife on my key chain and have made it through TSA and airport security many times with it. I went to Halloween Horror nights at Universal and was immediately discovered. I actually forget the thing is there. So my belief that these people need to be around and trample on the rights of people and use fear to sell their BS just doesn't work for me.

Here is the reality. --- The American people have been scared by the events of 9/11 so they are willing to give up the things that made this country great, namely the Constitution on the grounds of "being safe"
yet TSA fails regularly at their role. So then some well connected politicians push to have airports buy million dollar scanners... of course these politicians are making a fortune on these sales.

So once again the people are being herded to make others rich and still not get what they want or think they are paying for.

Now put yourself in the mindset of these Dbag terrorists. You want to inflict physical damage, you want to cripple an economy. The plane trick was done... will you try that again? NO. you will think up a new plan, one that will be as easy to do. I won't put any of those ideas out there but you can imagine many ways to hurt this country that are easy and effective.

So all these fearful people are simply not safe, no matter how much of their freedom they give up. The question is, How much are they willing to give up for this artificial and false feeling of safety?

The government, no matter how well intentioned can not curtail the ill will of all people. Do you think looking at why someone would have this ill will might be of value? Could it be when you invade a country and impose your will and slaughter 130,000 of their people you might not win friends?

I propose more goodwill came from the rescue of 13 Iranian sailors from pirates than any occupation ever could. I further suggest investing in peace will give us more safety than any TSA screener.

Any war waged so a few select people can get rich will never end well.
What rights have you given up at the airport? Would you feel "free" is there was no security at all? Why do you complain about the security at the airport, but condone it at Disney Land?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What rights have you given up at the airport? Would you feel "free" is there was no security at all? Why do you complain about the security at the airport, but condone it at Disney Land?
No one is advocating "no security". When was the last time there was no security at airports ? Decades upon decades ago.

What people don't like is the personal intrusion by the TSA officials who aren't even security experts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies