Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should airport security in America look like?
No security at all. Let's preserve our freedom. 9 15.52%
Reduced security. The guys with the box cutters and shoe bombs may have gotten through, but we should just live with that risk. 26 44.83%
Same level of security as now. I'd rather sacrifice some freedom in the security line for the odds of a safer flight. 19 32.76%
Greater security. Let's reduce the risk as much as humanly possible at the expense of personal freedom. 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,072 times

Advertisements

The security has not bothered me.
Sure, it is a bit of an annoyance and you can't carry some stuff on the plane. I have to check baggage when I need to take my tools along.
But if it stops just one loony from taking one plane full of passengers, it probably is worth the annoyance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Sure, it is a bit of an annoyance and you can't carry some stuff on the plane. I have to check baggage when I need to take my tools along.
But if it stops just one loony from taking one plane full of passengers, it probably is worth the annoyance.
Yep. Reminds me of an episode in India. We ended up catching a return flight on a day when Hajj pilgrims were also leaving. Consequently, the airport security was overloaded. As is my habit, I wear shoes, shirt and pants that are immune from triggering the detectors. I remember to put my watch, keys, phone etc either in the carry on, or on the basket.

Then there was another guy, likely Brit, who literally got unzipped and groped for triggering the metal detector every time. He could have been smarter than that.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:28 AM

504 posts, read 1,271,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
How many security guards are on a $60 Million aircraft?

None. That's why you have the mess you have.

The first hijacking was in the 1950s, I think 1958, and it was a guy who dropped out of school in the 6th grade. The point is that cockpits have always been vulnerable, and 50 years after the first high-jacking you still don't have ****-pit doors that are properly secured.
TSA: Federal Air Marshals (http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/programs/fams.shtm - broken link)

Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Then back to square one.

1. Use dogs to sniff people instead of machines

2. A bunch of people who are afraid of dogs will refuse to have dogs near them

3. Refuses of dog sniffing will instead need to have an enhanced pat down.

4. Said people will then come on this forum and get all dramatic about having a pat down they were sexually assaulted etc.

And I submit anyone who regards security procedures as "humiliation" either has self-esteem issues or a massive chip on their shoulder.
Airports already use dogs for cargo and drugs, and the FDA's beagles are let off leash to sniff suitcases. The only problems happen where they aren't is when there are dogs traveling who cause them. And the dog doesn't have to smell you personally. My dog barks at the back door when the neighbors cats try to visit so he can chase them out with the length of a house between them.

If the dog doesn't aleart then they wouldn't need to even be bothered. And yes, what they do IS an assault. Espeically to kids, it would get them charged if they didn't have their bluesuits on them.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:05 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Here's what I'd like to know: since TSA was established, how many actual terrorists (not rumored ones, or people carrying a knife in their back pocket) have been apprehended before boarding a plane?
Their job is not to stop terrorists, it is to attempt to prevent people from bringing potential weapons onto airplanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I have flown 50 weeks a year for the past 3 years. I have absolutely zero problems with security, including the backscatter x-ray - you're exposed to more radiation in flight than during the x-ray and I could care less how much they can/can't see in the x-ray room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
I fly for business too and have same sentiment. I'd wager most passengers feel the same way, it is the vocal minority who feel oppressed. Interesting = Nightbird47 spends so much time posting about the TSA molestations/humiliation/injustice/oppression but has stated previously she doesn't even fly and has never personally experienced the process. Just an armchair activist with righteous cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
And the dog doesn't have to smell you personally. My dog barks at the back door when the neighbors cats try to visit so he can chase them out with the length of a house between them.
Complete nonsense, I've had dogs check me overseas and they walk right around you. Tell me, when you see dogs checking luggage do they do it from across the room? Nope, they go up to the luggage.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It seems that a common theme is that the TSA is a bunch of goose-stepping Nazis bent on taking away our freedom. So...what should the alternative look like? Should we can the whole thing and just let anyone with a ticket get on the plane, no questions asked? Or should we go back to the same security setup that let those guys with box cutters onto planes? What's the better setup?
You missed the point with your post and your poll. You should have included letting each airline setup their own security, through the private sector, instead of having the public pay for it.

Government caused this mess yet again. If pilots were allowed to carry guns do you think the box cutters would have worked?
We saw the same situtation with the hijacking of a boat by pirates. They were unable to defend themselves since they could not carry weapons. I believe it was the Navy Seals snipers who killed a few then the rest gave themselves up.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Technically, pilots are allowed to be armed, through the FFDO program. Most don't bother however, as TSA has made it a real pain in the arse. Many who used to be FFDO's are no longer thanks to the hassles, so armed pilots are very much a minority. However, cockpit doors are secure and bulletproof. I'm sure most knew these things, but it seems there may be some who don't.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 PM

19 posts, read 9,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yep. Reminds me of an episode in India. We ended up catching a return flight on a day when Hajj pilgrims were also leaving. Consequently, the airport security was overloaded. As is my habit, I wear shoes, shirt and pants that are immune from triggering the detectors. I remember to put my watch, keys, phone etc either in the carry on, or on the basket.

Then there was another guy, likely Brit, who literally got unzipped and groped for triggering the metal detector every time. He could have been smarter than that.

Lol, the folks complaining are probably like that Brit. It annoys me to hear them constantly complain about liberty, freedom, rights, the constituition etc.

I wish they would get this into their thick skulls that 9/11 changed our world and there are no rights at the checkpoint. To those people who whine and complain: Shut your mouth, take off your shoes and get in line like everyone else!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
TSA: Federal Air Marshals (http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/programs/fams.shtm - broken link)
You don't need air marshals. The airlines are perfectly capable of providing security.

And yes, for Slackjaw, bomb-sniffing dogs would be a much better alternative.

Quit taking my money for stupid reasons...

Mircea

Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
We have spent $60 Billion on the TSA.

WE have been fondled, had our children fondled, had our luggage searched and contents stolen, required people to remove prognostics, under-wire bras, even intimate piercings, sent children into hysterics because they had to give up their sippy cup of juice, etc., etc., etc.......

And we have caught a grand total of 0 (big fat zero) terrorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies