Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should airport security in America look like?
No security at all. Let's preserve our freedom. 9 15.52%
Reduced security. The guys with the box cutters and shoe bombs may have gotten through, but we should just live with that risk. 26 44.83%
Same level of security as now. I'd rather sacrifice some freedom in the security line for the odds of a safer flight. 19 32.76%
Greater security. Let's reduce the risk as much as humanly possible at the expense of personal freedom. 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 AM

372 posts, read 1,042,996 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see the markets decide. I'd love to have a non-TSA option with pre-9/11 security, a secure cockpit, and an air marshal. If the TSA makes you feel more comfortable - go for the TSA line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It seems that a common theme is that the TSA is a bunch of goose-stepping Nazis bent on taking away our freedom. So...what should the alternative look like? Should we can the whole thing and just let anyone with a ticket get on the plane, no questions asked? Or should we go back to the same security setup that let those guys with box cutters onto planes? What's the better setup?
Why is it always either/or? There's a vast area in between you know.

Search the internet. You'll find that a shopping mall, and that is a shopping mall and not a strip mall, retails for about $4.1 Million.

In that $4.1 Million shopping mall you'll find anywhere from 6 to 12 armed and unarmed security guards in uniform or plain clothes on duty at any time.

How many security guards are on a $60 Million aircraft?

None. That's why you have the mess you have.

The first hijacking was in the 1950s, I think 1958, and it was a guy who dropped out of school in the 6th grade. The point is that cockpits have always been vulnerable, and 50 years after the first high-jacking you still don't have ****-pit doors that are properly secured.

Why can't the airlines put a plain-clothes security guard armed with a rubber or plastic bullets, a taser, etc in first class and coach? The airlines are certainly free to charge a $1 or two extra on ticket prices.

Other countries have CCTV in the cockpit so the pilots can see what is happening in the cabin. US airlines do not. Whose fault is that? The airlines. The aircraft is their asset, not mine, and not yours, and certainly not the government's. The airlines need to protect their own assets, and they can do that a relatively low cost, much cheaper than the TSA ever could.

There are also countries that have gas canisters in the cabins. You want to know which countries? I'm not telling. Do a little research and find out which countries buy aircraft and then send them to the McDonnell-Douglas mod facility in the California desert.

Pointing out the alternatives...

Mircea

Old 01-11-2012, 10:19 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
I'd like to see the markets decide. I'd love to have a non-TSA option with pre-9/11 security, a secure cockpit, and an air marshal. If the TSA makes you feel more comfortable - go for the TSA line.
How does the market work for dead people? How does it work between competing, for profit providers? And if privatization and market is the best bet to everything, why not privatize the military?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Instead of grouping and humiliation, a trained dog or two. They don't need to touch you, but if someone has explosive hidden on them, they'll smell it.
Then back to square one.

1. Use dogs to sniff people instead of machines

2. A bunch of people who are afraid of dogs will refuse to have dogs near them

3. Refuses of dog sniffing will instead need to have an enhanced pat down.

4. Said people will then come on this forum and get all dramatic about having a pat down they were sexually assaulted etc.

Quote:
Accepting theater and humiliation as 'comfort' is letting the robot masters win.
And I submit anyone who regards security procedures as "humiliation" either has self-esteem issues or a massive chip on their shoulder.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
Here's what I'd like to know: since TSA was established, how many actual terrorists (not rumored ones, or people carrying a knife in their back pocket) have been apprehended before boarding a plane?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:59 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
Heck, why stop there? Breathalyzer test for booze. Stop drunks and smokers from flying. Also ban children and infants. Ban fat people. Ban talkers. Strip searches for everyone. No, body cavity searches until they feel the back of your teeth! <sarcasm>

Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Here's what I'd like to know: since TSA was established, how many actual terrorists (not rumored ones, or people carrying a knife in their back pocket) have been apprehended before boarding a plane?
Now only if we can let people be completely free to walk-in as they wish, without any sign of oppressive security in sight...

Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
I have flown 50 weeks a year for the past 3 years. I have absolutely zero problems with security, including the backscatter x-ray - you're exposed to more radiation in flight than during the x-ray and I could care less how much they can/can't see in the x-ray room.

We can have regulation of what security measures are employed prior to boarding a plane without the need for the TSA.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I have flown 50 weeks a year for the past 3 years. I have absolutely zero problems with security, including the backscatter x-ray - you're exposed to more radiation in flight than during the x-ray and I could care less how much they can/can't see in the x-ray room.
As I stated earlier, and may be you and I have been lucky as opposed to most of these non-travelers, the only noticeable change I've noticed is that guests are no longer allowed to the gates, and that we must take off shoes and laptops and like. I've yet to walk through "the naked machine".

Sure, some processes are dumb, some unnecessary and inefficient, but the relentless crying that we don't need such security or the idea that only privatization works for people's benefits (and somehow cost effective) is where I've issue with. Instead of calling for privatization or elimination, it should be about improving the services, ideas if people have any... but whining is something as natural as being a child at some point in life.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Here's what I'd like to now, how many terrorist attacks have their been? What terrorists should they have apprehended?

I don't see your point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies