Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Income tax is not the only tax. I have many friends who pay $7,000 in real estate taxes. I suppose you don't consider those taxes.
Those taxes add NOTHING to the federal government, but I suppose you know that but choose to ignore it anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:02 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Those taxes add NOTHING to the federal government, but I suppose you know that but choose to ignore it anyways
Many other taxes do however. Nevertheless, it's still taxes, whether it's local or state. Taxes are taxes. You guys are under the impression that someone who pays x amount in federal income tax is better than someone who pays the same amount in state taxes

Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,898 times
If it actually got things to improve I'd pay more taxes. The problem is politicians are almost never looking out for us.

Here in Maryland, our crook of a governor has been raiding special funds including the highway trust fund in order to close budget gaps in the general fund. And then he turns around and demands that we raise our gas tax. Well I say HELL NO to a hike in our gas tax if the legislature is gonna keep on stealing from it.

And likewise, I refuse to pay more taxes if it's just gonna get pilfered one way or another.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,587 times
Paying more money to the government is akin to throwing money onto a burning fire. It gets wasted. Actually, it would be better to burn money than pay it to the government. At least that would have the potential to offset some of the money the FED keeps printing, albeit very miniscule.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't think most people realize the amount of taxes that a middle class person pays. When you count all of the sales tax, its a significant percentage of their income, since most middle class Americans have to spend 75% of their income just to make ends meet.
And I don't think you understand that comparing what a person pays total in taxes (including local taxes that don't go to the Fed) relative to their income to the taxes paid by the successful relative to their total wealth is a stupid argument.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I am just a middle class peon and i would gladly pay another $100.00 or so in taxes to help get my country get in better shape. A $100.00 out of anyone's budget here on CD wouldn't hurt you a bit(those without jobs excepted). Some of these SILVER SPOON WHINERS just appall me!
The problem is that more money won't solve the problem. That would be like the Salvation Army giving alcoholics more booze, or raising the credit limit on shopaholics credit cards. It's insane to send more money to people who don't have a clue on how to manage it, and ignore the recommendations from people that do (Simpson-Bowles).

Old 01-20-2012, 11:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Many other taxes do however. Nevertheless, it's still taxes, whether it's local or state. Taxes are taxes. You guys are under the impression that someone who pays x amount in federal income tax is better than someone who pays the same amount in state taxes
The only way you could come to that conclusion is by claiming those who pay more in federal income tax, are exempt from state ones. Totally ridiculous..

Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,449 times
Quote:
The only way you could come to that conclusion is by claiming those who pay more in federal income tax, are exempt from state ones. Totally ridiculous..
Non homeowners pay property taxes? Nevertheless, if you pay taxes you pay taxes, and for someone to claim that people who pay state taxes don't pay taxes is ridiculous

Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Quote:
Actually the unfunded liabilities per US Citizen is OVER $1,000,000
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

When the OP sends in his $1,038,576 to cover his share, I'll congragulate him.
Thanks but no thanks. I said a $100.00 OR SO. A Daddy big bucks like you should consider that million chump change i assume! lol

Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,558 times
Quote:
Half the country pays no taxes? I don't believe that.
They're mainly on fixed incomes--think retirees living on social security. They pay other taxes, but many don't make enough to pay federal income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies