Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I thought states were part of the country. My mistake

Funding the states does **** to the federal government..

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-20-2012 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I am just a middle class peon and i would gladly pay another $100.00 or so in taxes to help get my country get in better shape. A $100.00 out of anyone's budget here on CD wouldn't hurt you a bit(those without jobs excepted). Some of these SILVER SPOON WHINERS just appall me!
Have you sent your $100. in yet? Lead by example.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I am just a middle class peon and i would gladly pay another $100.00 or so in taxes to help get my country get in better shape. A $100.00 out of anyone's budget here on CD wouldn't hurt you a bit(those without jobs excepted). Some of these SILVER SPOON WHINERS just appall me!
Well don't be a "do as I say not as I do" and put your money where your mouth is:

https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/for...ormId=23779454

You can donate right here to the federal government to reduce our public debt burden. Visa/Mastercard accepted.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
State taxes don't count as taxes? Real estate taxes don't count? My grandfather pays thousands and thousands of dollars in real estate taxes and he is retired.
As does Romney. Making your argument a little, uh, weird.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
My grandfather is probably one of those people. He's retired. If you factor in his property taxes, his tax rate is probably 35%. How much do you want retirees to pay? 50% 60% 70%?
If you factor in Romney's property taxes, etc, he pays more than that, I'm sure.

I want retirees to pay what they are required to pay. Since quite a few retirees are living high on the hog, thanks to govt pensions, union pensions and sound investing, lumping all retirees into the "poor masses" doesn't make sense.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Here is the truth as to who really pays taxes in this country as I posted in another thread. And I'll continue to post the facts in these whiny "rich don't pay their fair share" tax threads that have all these false suppositions about taxes and who really pays them.

According to the latest IRS stats:

The top 0.1% of taxpayers pay 18% of all income taxes paid
The top 1% of taxpayers pay 38% of all income taxes paid
The top 5% of taxpayers pay 59% of all income taxes paid
The top 10% of taxpayers pay 70% of all income taxes paid
The top 25% of taxpayers pay 86% of all income taxes paid
The top 50% of taxpayers pay 97% of all income taxes paid

The bottom 50% of taxpayers pay 3% of all income taxes paid

For returns reporting positive adjusted gross income, the top 1 percent of taxpayers had an average tax rate of 23.3 percent; the top 10 percent of taxpayers had an average tax rate of 18.7 percent; and the bottom 50 percent of taxpayers had an average tax rate of 2.6 percent

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/08inratesharesnap.pdf

Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Your mistake is assuming the states do not make up the country.
Your mistake is confusing state taxes and federal taxes.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 PM

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Pick up a paper sometime, More than 50% do not pay any taxes...
Please post your returns....

A paper ... oh yes, try the New York Times ... that's a paper righto?

Yes, 47% of Households Owe No Taxes. Look Closer. - NYTimes.com

The Very Rich Are Different--They Pay A Lower Tax Rate - Forbes

Look .... if you have a phone, you pay federal taxes. If you have a car, you pay several different federal taxes. If you watch TV (and it seems to me you do a lot of that) you pay a federal tax. If you use electricity - federal tax .... gasoline for your car - federal tax ... ever smoke? Federal tax ... drink a cocktail - federal tax. There are dozens of federal taxes that you and everyone else pays, unless you live in the woods, and collect nuts and berries to survive.

You have the excises taxes, import taxes, transportation taxes ... this is even included in the items you buy at the grocery store ... you do eat, don't you?

Then there is the "inflation tax" ... the actual lost purchasing power of the dollars you've already earned and paid taxes on .... those dollars are losing value due to the massive expansion of the debt and increases in money creation. So when another Trillion is created and then handed over to Billionaire bankers in the form of "bailouts" ... it not only goes on your tab to be paid later, but decreases the value of the money you already have. That is also a tax ... like most of the others, a somewhat hidden tax. But it's actually not hidden at all .... it's right there .... for those who are not sleep walking through life.

Now, with the liberals in charge ... if you BREATHE, you must exhale CO2, and you're being charged for that too.

We need more taxes like a drowning man needs more water. Now all of you stand close together for a picture ..... now everyone say .... "Brain Dead" ! Snap .... thanks.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM

281 posts, read 256,303 times
Quote:
My income comes from my wages not from investments.
That is your choice made, presumably, with full knowledge and open eyes. Others chose a different path, a better, broader path that goes higher and quicker, but, admittedly, has some risk.

Some chose the lower, slower, but safer road of working for wages.

Others choose the higher, faster, but riskier road of investment

Others still choose both - my choice.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:00 PM

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Validate your babble... How does you paying property taxes, lower the federal debt
Lower the Federal Debt? You really should stop calling anyone's comments "babble", because that is babble.

Every single penny that goes to all those "valuable services" government provides you ... like someone to massage your genitals before boarding your airplane, is borrowed. And at this point, even the idea of a "Balanced Budget" is a total farce, because if your total debt accumulated is 15 Trillion .... even if we "balanced" yearly income taxes to expenditures, either by raising taxes or cuts in spending or both ... and your spending matched the collected revenue ... the 15 Trillion in current debt is still there, along with the interest ... the income tax revenue will still go to service the debt, and you'll continue borrowing and increasing the debt until the currency collapses.

But to make it even simpler .... lets just say that we started with a clean slate ... wiped clear all debt off the books, and eliminated all existing money at this moment. We start out totally fresh, and set new a budget of $1000. The FED has to create the $1000.... and the interest on that is 3%. That means we now owe $1030.

If the only money that exists is the $1000 just created, where does the $30 dollars to pay that interest come from? Remember, that's all there is now ... $1000. But we owe $1030. So how do we pay that extra $30 ? You have to borrow it ... but that too must be "created", and to do so, that $30 dollars will also have a 3% interest attached to it, and you still won't have enough money to pay off the total debt even if you collected 100% of all the money that exists.

Debt is designed into the system .... and that debt can only increase. It cannot decrease, and therefore, in any reasonable sense, there can be no such thing as a balanced budget, or a pay down of the debt. It is physically and mathematically impossible.

It's a fraud ... a ponzi scheme .... the more money that is created, the larger the debt in the form of principle and interest, and so long as there is interest attached to each dollar created, there can never be enough money in existence to EVER payoff the debt, even if you collected ALL OF IT.

If you conducted your personal finances the way the government does, they would throw you in jail for fraud. And that's precisely where they belong for doing it ... not raising our taxes at gunpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies