Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,220,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's nothing but excuses from you people, isn't it?

You people? Let me guess. You said that with a straight face, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 PM

33,595 posts, read 18,227,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I think you people make this crap up. I am on disability (and believe me, if I had any other choice, I wouldn't be on it), and am eligible for a whopping $16/month in foodstamps. Needless to say, I don't bother with it. But the disability I get doesn't cut it either. After rent and utilities, doctor bills and medicines, I have just enough money to buy food for about 20 days out of the month. And I'm due for yet another operation in the next two months. So I have to go to Dare to Care once a month to get food suppliments. And I NEVER go our to eat, or do much of anything else (except post on the internet). I don't even own a television.
You know what, if you are a legal american citizen you should get food stamps instead of our freebee government giving it to the illegals who keep having anchor babies to get more housing and foodstamps and medical care... can you imagine how much our government has spent over the many years on illegals.. Probably billions. And we are going broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obama is pushing food stamps as president instead of jobs.. that is the reality. He won't let the Keystone pipe line come through and that would create thousands of new jobs. Obama throws money away on his green agenda factories that go bankrupt instead he should create an atmosphere of less legislation to give businesses a chance to hire instead of wasting the peoples money on his crazy green ideas that nobody is buying.
I think you are just angry that he doesn't cater to the whims of dirty industry like the Republicans do.

1,148 posts, read 1,685,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I know people who are working at WM who have degrees.
I guess you haven't seen the uneployment rate lately.
You seem to think I've lost sleep over this topic....when in reality I just stated my opinion.
I just really get shocked to see people who seem to care so little for their fellow humans. You could very easily be in the same position one day.
Yes, there are people working at Wal-Mart who have degrees, some of them come from excellent universities. I know a guy who works there and has a degree in architecture from NYU. Another woman has a masters degree in therapeutic recreation and she hasn't been able to find a job.

The number of people on food stamps is so high because of the economy and the fact that we have allowed corporations to ship former middle class jobs to India and China so they can pay Third World workers slave wages. I know that in my hometown there used to be so many good factory jobs. Now, those jobs have been outsourced and replaced with Long John Silver's and Walmart jobs. My hometown is now recognized as a high poverty area. Want to stop the use of food stamps, then something needs to be done about the bleeding of jobs to foreign countries.

I don't fully understand all this disdain for the poor. Yeah, there are some who are purely lazy and need get to stop watching soaps all day and do something. Then, there are others who are simply down on their luck. These are the ones we should help. They may be down on their luck due to the economy, a major illness such as cancer, or they could be a domestic violence victim.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,087,936 times
Quote:
You people? Let me guess. You said that with a straight face, right?
Yea. YOU people. Lefties.

One excuse after another.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:00 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,593,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You are so right, Mircea. The problem is that people are not willing to change their habits. You can bet those teenaged boys are eating tons of prepackaged foods that are full of simple carbohydrates and empty calories.
If you had of read my post you would see that I said the father DOES NOT, let me repeat, DOES NOT buy prepackaged foods and cooks a lot of things from scratch. He tries to use fresh veggies/fruits, buys chicken/beef etc. when it is on sale and uses coupons.

Why do people assume everyone getting assistance loads up on crap? Some people do try and prepare healthy meals.

Oh yeah, the teenagers have applied for a host of jobs, even McD's isn't hiring in their community.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:01 PM

33,595 posts, read 18,227,558 times
Quote:
Well dude, the fact that there are more than 15 million hungry children in this country tells me that Christian charities either aren't doing what they claim they can, or else cannot handle the load. Now, Christians are always telling us that this is a Christian nation, that is, until someone asks the government for help. And then it's "sorry Charlie". It's the worst kind of hypocrisy. And begs the question what kind of moral fiber this so-called Christian nation actually has.
I know. What I believe is this.. when a Christian sees a real need it is good to give directly to the person . They don't have to put into a plate at church . I know many churches that do help people and I also have heard of stories of ones not so needy taking advantage of the church too.

One just has to ask for help at the church and I am sure they will respond.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
So, they neglect the FREE EDUCATION which I pay for too?
Gee, there is free post-secondary education? Well, yeah, if you are filthy rich, I'm sure you can send your children to Harvard or Yale. And you pay for it? ALL of it? Wow, I'm impressed, dude.

Quote:
There were millions on food stamps during the liberal glory days of the clinton years.

What was the excuse then? Too MUCH employment? LOL
There have been millions on food stamps since its inception. And as I recall, there were actual jobs when Clinton was in office, and a budget surplus to boot. Has ANY Republican president EVER had a budget surplus (aside from Ike), or create millions of jobs wand had an economy with a low unemployment rate? Other than Ike, name one.

The fact is that the economic gap between the haves and the have nots has never been larger than it is today. And that, my friend, certainly is NOT the fault of the current president.

Last edited by orogenicman; 01-23-2012 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Yea. YOU people. Lefties.

One excuse after another.

So, Mr. Angry, what, exactly, is your beef with poor people anyway? Are they poor because they want to be poor? Or are too lazy? Too dumb? What is it? Do you also blame a rapee for being raped?

Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,117,454 times
My view of Food Stamps is not popular. I think the Food Stamp Program should end. Many people could work if they just would, but a government handout allows them to stay at home and watch TV. The latest thing connected with Food Stamps is a free cell phone and free hours of use, if you qualify. Too many people qualify. It has taken years to reach the point we are today, there will be no easy fix. If there was no minimum wage people could maybe find a job that today isn't available because an employer doesn't want to pay more than a worker is worth. As long as Unions and the government can control what employers have to pay employees, and what benefits have to be provided, there are going to be jobs going off shore where these rules and regulations are not required. Employers are entitled to make money also, and it doesn't matter their size, large corporations usually make small profits that are paid to the shareholders. I agree corporations enjoy some tax loop holes, but they are still the ones who provide the jobs.

Some of you feel families, and children should be provided for. What about the welfare woman that has a baby every year so her welfare payments keep going up? It happens, and it's not right, but no one does anything about it because she can legally do that. There is an incentive to have more kids just like there is an incentive to stay home and not work. Who will pay when everyone stays home and there are not more people who want to work and give their money to the government?

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 01-23-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies