Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Either you are very naive or you are being dishonest. The right-wing that pass these laws aren't interested in giving workers 'choice,' they're interested in breaking unions. By breaking unions they serve two interests 1) they undermine wages for their corporate overlords and; 2) they undermine the Democratic Party, which does receive more union support, because they favor laws that help ordinary working people over the corporations.
You really don't understand just how much effect unions have on the prices we pay for so many thinkgs, do you? You union supporters will never understand that part of what is life in the US or anywhere else. I love to see people talking about how good their pensions are and never give any thought to how much that costs those of us who are retired without those outstanding rob the employer unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Who would've guessed that Unions would give money to the party not trying to end their existence.
They give to the party that PADS their wallets, salaries and pensions, all on the back of the taxpayer.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They give to the party that PADS their wallets, salaries and pensions, all on the back of the taxpayer.
And the corporations give to the GOP because they pad their wallets. Personally, I think the party that supports people has it morally over the party that supports corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You really don't understand just how much effect unions have on the prices we pay for so many thinkgs, do you? You union supporters will never understand that part of what is life in the US or anywhere else. I love to see people talking about how good their pensions are and never give any thought to how much that costs those of us who are retired without those outstanding rob the employer unions.
What good is low prices when nobody will be able to afford those products because their wages are so low?

That's what it is like in the 3rd World, the workers manufacture products that they can't afford to buy. I'd rather pay more so some American can have a living wage.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
And the corporations give to the GOP because they pad their wallets. Personally, I think the party that supports people has it morally over the party that supports corporations.

What good is low prices when nobody will be able to afford those products because their wages are so low?

That's what it is like in the 3rd World, the workers manufacture products that they can't afford to buy. I'd rather pay more so some American can have a living wage.
There is no union for we of the retired group to use to gain more money from. I have never belonged to a union. Well, I surely did belong to the NEA till the late 70s when they began acting like a union and admitted to being one. They were supposed to be doing so much for us but I didn't seem to catch any of that good and when they gave illegal money to Jimmy Carter for him to campaign with I was one of the few who demanded my share of that money back and then quit the damned bunch. They did get their Dept of Education from that one but only had to give back the money to people who demanded it, like me. That was their punishment. I got a whole $4.65 from them but they gave it away without asking us.

That is the kind of work unions do, as far as I am concerned, and they do so much for their leaders and so little for the commons.

There was a time when unions did so much good but that time left us long ago.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
So did right to work help those Boeing employees who lose there jobs in Kansas when they close down?
How about all the union workers who worked at the same plant? They caused more trouble for those who didn't belong and then the union couldn't save their jobs for them.

I bet you have been led to believe that Boeing Wichita didn't have a union but they sure did. They just couldn't collect dues from non-members. What was done to Boeing by the NLRB and the union really made me unhappy since the corporation provides the money for the union members and there were plenty of people in South Carolina who didn't need a union to work.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Hilarious! Look at the corporations and "rich" behind the democrats. GE, Google, Apple, NBC, etc, etc. Only some of the richest, biggest corporations that exist today.

Again, the GOP for the "rich" is just another meme, narrative put forth by the democrats...not a bit of truth to it.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,032,105 times
I live in a RTW state and pay a year in property taxes what my brother pays every 3 weeks in his union state. most of it to pay the bloated pensions,health and salaries of public union employees. And I make as much as him here. these same union retirees move to my area and live like kings on the pensions they receive from the areas they fled,leaving that area even more depressed.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hilarious! Look at the corporations and "rich" behind the democrats. GE, Google, Apple, NBC, etc, etc. Only some of the richest, biggest corporations that exist today.

Again, the GOP for the "rich" is just another meme, narrative put forth by the democrats...not a bit of truth to it.
It's just a meme? You're the comedian. One only needs to look at the policies that the GOP supports to confirm the truth. The GOP supports, and will fight to the death, to maintain tax-cuts for the rich -- but not so much for the middle-class; cutting Medicare, Social Security; Medicare and education -- but not subsidies for oil companies.

Let's face it, the Koch brothers didn't pledge $200 million to defeat President Obama because they are civic-minded. They know that having a Republican president will reward them financially.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I live in a RTW state and pay a year in property taxes what my brother pays every 3 weeks in his union state. most of it to pay the bloated pensions,health and salaries of public union employees. And I make as much as him here. these same union retirees move to my area and live like kings on the pensions they receive from the areas they fled,leaving that area even more depressed.
How is it possible that the pay-rates in the two places are the same (e.g. you make the same as your brother) but would mean that the public employees earn far less than private employees in your area, which I doubt.

More realistically, your brother probably lives in an area with more public services and better schools. My brother-in-law lives in an area in SC with low property taxes too. There, they have underfunded schools, because only the poor go to the public schools. Everyone else pays for private school.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
It's just a meme? You're the comedian. One only needs to look at the policies that the GOP supports to confirm the truth. The GOP supports, and will fight to the death, to maintain tax-cuts for the rich -- but not so much for the middle-class; cutting Medicare, Social Security; Medicare and education -- but not subsidies for oil companies.

Let's face it, the Koch brothers didn't pledge $200 million to defeat President Obama because they are civic-minded. They know that having a Republican president will reward them financially.
Oh, what a selective memory. Have you forgot to look at all the billionaires behind obama, the $750 million he raised in 2008, the hundreds of millions from the unions, the tens of millions from Wall Street, Big Banks, etc? Surely you must have heard the news that obama has taken more money from the rich, rich, rich, WS/banks than any other?

Uh...the only people who have cut Medicare are the democrats, to pay for obamacare.

THIS is spot on;

http://www.jeffjacoby.com/11101/righ...dom-and-choice

Quote:
Unions demand monopoly bargaining power -- the right to exclusively represent everyone in a workplace -- and then insist that each of those workers must pay for the privilege.

The passion with which Big Labor fights right-to-work helps explain why so many Americans have abandoned unions. The labor movement was born in freedom and choice. That's not what it stands for anymore.
Indeed not. Power, influence, coercion and making sure their members get lavish pay and benefits at the expense of the taxpayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies