Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 01:40 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Things surely better than balance out when surely a similar high percentage of CEOs give some of their millions to the Republicans.
I'm sure you would be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 01:40 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
So what went wrong? The Right to Work hucksters said you bring in Right to Work to your state and many high paying JOBS will come rushing in.
Ha! 7 of the top 10 (10 of the top 13) states w/ the most minimum wage jobs are RTW.

RTW = RTB (race to the bottom)

Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Please share with us the ulterior motives. Like taking dues from workers then funneling into the Democrat candidates almost 100%? Like forcing workers to join a union or they don't get to work? Like punishing good workers through a practice of rewarding time on the job versus productivity?
But it's against the law to funnel union dues to any political candidate.

If union workers don't like the conditions they work under, they can vote the union out and enjoy a raise in pay.

A lot of non unionized work places take seniority into account when making judgments on who gets promoted.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Ha! 7 of the top 10 (10 of the top 13) states w/ the most minimum wage jobs are RTW.

Well, I assume that plenty of Right to Work supporters feel that is much better than having no jobs at all. But then I question, if having more minimum pay jobs added on to the economy makes more people eligible for welfare, like food stamps. President Obama isn't the food stamp president for nothing.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Well, I assume that plenty of Right to Work supporters feel that is much better than having no jobs at all. But then I question, if having more minimum pay jobs added on to the economy makes more people eligible for welfare, like food stamps. President Obama isn't the food stamp president for nothing.
Yeah, it's not the offshoring that's removing jobs from the US, it's unions

Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,218,912 times
Right to work means right to earn less for the same job. The corp. are forcing this so they can pay less and not fear a union action.
I have seen this in action having transfered to a right to work state. The job I had till I retired in 2011 paid $3200 less in the right to work state. Same Company same position. The union state had higher wages even tho I was a union free employee.
The company was aware that a union action could happen if the employees felt they were under paid.In the right to work state the mgt. did not worry about a union action. When I retired I had to read the company handbook to Mgt. and HR to make sure that all benefits were received. Your work group does not have to be in a union to benefit from having the state allow unions. In a right to work state you are loseing the ability to keep mgt. paying you at a proper rate.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Right to work means right to earn less for the same job. The corp. are forcing this so they can pay less and not fear a union action.
I have seen this in action having transfered to a right to work state. The job I had till I retired in 2011 paid $3200 less in the right to work state. Same Company same position. The union state had higher wages even tho I was a union free employee.
The company was aware that a union action could happen if the employees felt they were under paid.In the right to work state the mgt. did not worry about a union action. When I retired I had to read the company handbook to Mgt. and HR to make sure that all benefits were received. Your work group does not have to be in a union to benefit from having the state allow unions. In a right to work state you are loseing the ability to keep mgt. paying you at a proper rate.
Less than 8% of private sector workers are in unions.
It's the public sector that is majority union now..government workers.
Not a major impact.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:46 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post

Isn't it peculiar how the Republicans can get the poor to argue against unions? I think it proves the old adage:

Misery loves company

Old 02-02-2012, 03:52 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
The problem is unions have become more about the union then the worker. Unions played a great role in changing workers laws and fighting for jobs. However the union is no longer about the unions it is about the unions self survival. Workers take a back seat to the union surviving. ex the pilots union as AA. They were more concerned about the union then the workers. Surely the union could see the losses AMR was taking could not be sustained. Unions in the modern day is about the Union and giving money to democrats.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:54 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,218,912 times
The Republicans are not thinking about the people, they are taking care of the money behind them. The major impact will be felt in the years to come as people change jobs and find lower earnings. Your elected officals have screwed their voters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies