Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times

Advertisements

>A horrible legislation is finally repealed
>Sad day for american children

No, maybe we can finally put this idiotic standardized testing bull behind us.

You can't measure a student by how well they test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No child left behind had teachers teaching to the lowest performing students.

Its a good think that its repealed, maybe you should learn something about it before you denigrate the order.

Had nothing to do with unions.
Thank you.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No child left behind had teachers teaching to the lowest performing students.

Its a good think that its repealed, maybe you should learn something about it before you denigrate the order.

Had nothing to do with unions.
This isn't going to remove poor students and mentally challenged students into their own place as you infer. It will just let the teacher's union rubber stamp all their failures with a diploma.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Once again, I'm so confused. One day we read about abolishing federal intervention in public school, the next day its carping about the Dept of Education ending the interference in public schools. Both of which are the fault of the teacher's unions. Does anyone think that it is possible that someday the critics will decide on one nonconflicting criticism?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
>A horrible legislation is finally repealed
>Sad day for american children

No, maybe we can finally put this idiotic standardized testing bull behind us.

You can't measure a student by how well they test.
Test are a fact of life. Not only for students but for many adults. You want into college? You have to take test (SAT ACT). You want into the military? You have to pass the test. You want to be a nurse, pilot, barber, telephone tech, plumber, doctor, lawyer, blackjack dealer? You have to pass test. People are measured all the time by test. You either know it or you don't.

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
This isn't going to remove poor students and mentally challenged students into their own place as you infer. It will just let the teacher's union rubber stamp all their failures with a diploma.
But instead of teachers having to focus on just the test, it allows them to focus on the students that are achieving their goals properly, and allows them to move on while they dig deeper on the under achievers.

My son is exceptionally bright. High IQ, I'm proud of him. In second grade, he is reading on a fifth grade level. But the local school, because of meth heads and parents that don't give a damn, keeps getting a B rating from NCLB. So they ignore him, and focus on the kids that aren't passing the test.

If I were less of a parent, and not as involved with my childs education, he would fall to the lowest standard like other students in his class.

This removes an over regulated system that tied teachers hands to let good students fly.

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
No, it may not, but it will take the pressure off of schools that have been stressing out about the performance of said "mentally challenged students" at the expense of all of the others for over a decade now...

Teachers might actually be allowed to get back to teaching now.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Once again, I'm so confused. One day we read about abolishing federal intervention in public school, the next day its carping about the Dept of Education ending the interference in public schools. Both of which are the fault of the teacher's unions. Does anyone think that it is possible that someday the critics will decide on one nonconflicting criticism?
Until we have leaders in this country that have courage and conviction like Gov Walker in Wisconsin that are willing to take on and pull the fangs out of the teacher unions, this country will continue to fall further behind the rest of the world.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Test are a fact of life. Not only for students but for many adults. You want into college? You have to take test (SAT ACT). You want into the military? You have to pass the test. You want to be a nurse, pilot, barber, telephone tech, plumber, doctor, lawyer, blackjack dealer? You have to pass test. People are measured all the time by test. You either know it or you don't.
The way NCLB used standardized testing was stupid. You cannot measure how well a school is doing simply by measuring how well they do on a test.

YOu know what that led to? I was a high school student when NCLB got enacted, and I can tell you exactly what happened.

They focused more on helping students pass tests than actually learning the subject.

NCLB was a piece of crap legislation, and I'm glad it's gone so my daughter who's going through school right now won't be hindered by it.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
With the teacher unions finally getting their way and killing off the No Children Left Behind program, they have effectively ended any pretense at reform. This comes on top of them killing off the low income choice programs in DC and Wisconsin and trying with various degrees of success to kill off public charter schools. This is why we as Americans will LOSE. We all lose when the teacher unions win.
I agree it is a sad day for kids. Not because the notorious NCLB is being waived, but because it is being replaced with another idiotic program that is undoubtedly even worse.

NCLB waivers: The devil is in the details - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies