Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 03:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,160,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Like I said, it's not my choice to make. And it's not yours either, AeroGuy.

... a life which cannot survive without YOUR body. Abortion is already banned for the fetus that can survive outside of the womb.

Like I said, I personally don't care for abortion, but being pro-choice is not about making sure every woman gets one as soon as they get up in the morning. It's about leaving that decision up to each woman in their own particular circumstance. That's what YOU don't get.

Perhaps, but those views are pretty damned clear in this thread, and in others.

All this talk of save the babies! Save the babies!

And then throw a straw-man argument back at me, to keep my occupied, a la Aeroguy.

So Aeroguy, riddle me this: where do you stand on SCHIP?

You don't have to bold anything for me, dear. Maybe I should bold it for you, because you seem to have missed the entire point of that paragraph.

If abortion is banned, you will be knocked flat on your ass by the uprising of women for whom, suddenly, it becomes "real." Saying that you're "pro-life" and supporting the complete banning of abortions are two completely different things. Being pro-life is about the warm-fuzzies. Supporting the criminalization of abortion is something entirely more insidious, and I will guarantee you that if something like that were to come to pass, you would see pro-choice numbers shoot above 70% and the politicians who pushed it punted out of office.

But it's a good wedge issue, and the sheep eat it up. GWB used it in his 2004 election, but once he got into office, it went absolutely nowhere. Because it isn't going anywhere.

I'm not sure if that was clear enough for you - perhaps I should go back and bold parts of it so you understand.
In other words, you're yet another Liberal who supports abortion because you want to keep it in your toolbox.....a tool you can pull out the next time you make a bad life decision. You could give a damn about someone else's right to "choice"....its all about that Ace In The Hole in case you need it.

Just like every other pro-abortion liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,173,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
In the third world, unwanted baby girls 'disappear’. It’s called gendercide. And it’s happening in this country, too - Telegraph

"A woman who was 12 weeks pregnant had an appointment with the Calthorpe Clinic and explained to a doctor that she and her partner wished to terminate the pregnancy because they “don’t want a girl”. A certain Dr Raj responded, “That’s not fair. It’s like female infanticide, isn’t it?” "

Can you imagine if there were genetic testing for sexual orientation? Abortion (or the test) would be banned tomorrow.
I am missing the point you are trying to make. Sorry.

What other cultures do is their business. The United States has enough problems without having to worry about what is going on in other counties.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-26-2012, 04:11 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,780,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am missing the point you are trying to make. Sorry.

What other cultures do is their business. The United States has enough problems without having to worry about what is going on in other counties.

20yrsinBranson
Sex selection wil come here. Do you think we are somehow immune? And of course what other countries do affect you. Unfortunately the US isn't a bubble.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,568,819 times
Quote:
So you are ok with abortions because a baby has brown eyes, or is left handed or is a girl? Hitler would be proud. You want to build a master race. Well done!
I am afraid you've taken my words and twisted them. I did not say I was "okay" with abortion, though actually I am. What I posted is that each woman should be able to CHOOSE what happens to her body, and whether she becomes a mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Certain people are deliberately blurring that distinction as they need to demonize pro-choice advocates and make them seem like immoral killers in order to justify taking away personal freedom and responsibility (while complaining about just that on other topics).
There does seem to be a need to demonize anyone that doesn't hold their views, but I am hoping it is just ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
No one is born a homosexual.
While this is off-topic, I believe there is some scientific basis for the possibility that some are born with homosexual inclinations. The topic has only recently been studied and "the jury is still out."

Quote:
They do nothing to support woman who choose to carry children to term.
It's okay to have opinions, but to say PP does not support parenthood is untrue. In fact, if you look at their services, they include treating infertility.

Quote:
Killing a fetus is murder.
Again, you are welcome to your opinions about abortion, but it is not murder. Murder is a legal term, and the definition varies by jurisdiction. This is how one source referred to the relationship between abortion and murder:

"Death of an unborn child who is "quick" (fetus is moving) can be murder, provided there was premeditation, malice, and no legal authority. Thus, abortion is not murder under the law. (Example: Jack Violent shoots his pregnant girlfriend, killing the fetus). "

(This also addresses Shorebaby's confusion regarding the case in Wisconsin.)

Old 02-26-2012, 04:51 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,399,946 times
Quote:
Sex selection wil come here. Do you think we are somehow immune? And of course what other countries do affect you. Unfortunately the US isn't a bubble.
I have to agree with this. Your first point, because the U.S. is all about excess. It may soon become as conventional as a soccer mom! Because most Americans don't care about right or wrong half as much as convenience. The second, because we're not only not in a bubble; we're a nation the world knows as welcoming for people of all nationalities to come and live here. Do people honesty think these immigrants check their customs and beliefs at the gate?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,553,613 times
Quote:
Lol, oh you're serious. OK, please fill us in on the equivalent organization to planned parenthood, that is supported by the left, that helps women who make the choice to carry a baby to term.
Planned Parenthood councils women on their options. Abortion is a mere 3% of their budget.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
No one is born a homosexual.
Good grief. What rock are you under?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Kill it. Kill it. Kill it. Kill it. Kill it. Kill it.

But, if you don't kill it, suddenly it's a precious, beautiful bouncing baby boy or girl.

Before it leaves the birth canal it's just a piece of worthless crap.
Interestingly, before it is born the Republicans are all up in arms when somebody decides to have an abortion. Once it is born they stop caring by cutting funding for school lunches, day care etc etc

Old 02-26-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yeah right. Abortion is the liberal Ace In The Hole. They seek to keep abortion available because it is just another tool in the toolbox. Pull it out and use it whenever its needed.

Pro-choice = "I want to be able to do it whenever I want. You can't tell me what to do, no matter how reprehensible my actions are!"
You are so full of it. The only group of people who uses abortion as an ace in the hole are the Republicans. Hey ... wake up out there ... abortion is legal!!
How about you find something less emotional to pander the voters with.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,355,833 times
Once a society starts throwing babies in dumpsters, China female babies, it's time to make an about face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies