Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 01:25 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It would be a moot point if these ghetto minded people had some self control and dignity.

It is a constitutional question.

You WILL see me on YouTube asking my "representatives" where their constitutional powers came from for the votes they made.

It matters not if they are D's or R's.

What about the clowns that pull the strings? Should'nt they have some self control and dignity? After all if it was not for the unconditional greed of many of them this country would not be in the crisis that it is in now. As far as you asking your representatives to do anything, Ha! good luck on that one! If you don't have the money to disuade them you are looked at as some clown with a horn in a middle of a busy intersection.....seen but not heard. Besides, they have enough uneducated fools to replace your vote anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's fun to see the simple minded tell everyone how simple the solutions to all the countries problems are. Cute.
When I hear "simple" I know it's anything but.
What's not "simple" about making sure you don't get pregnant when you can't feed the child you might otherwise create?

Are you saying that it's too complicated to be that responsible?

Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
What about the clowns that pull the strings? Should'nt they have some self control and dignity? After all if it was not for the unconditional greed of many of them this country would not be in the crisis that it is in now.
True. Everyone. Actually I have compassion for someone at wit's end trying to find work so they can sustain their family and despose someone doing well who works the "edge" for personal gain. Edge can be any type of unethical behaviour for personal gain when someone has a position of trust. Of course, at that point many a CEO and/or senior company officer would be terminated and someone found who has the best interest of the share holder. Many a politician would lose their office to the other fellow who his sold his vote..etc.

But I think it is understood that The poor actions of others have never been sufficient rationalization for one to follow that route.

No one would be complaining of we had jobs with living wages and prospects for growth.

What a mess.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-29-2012 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
What about the money grubbing, tax-bloated public social service organizations who pay more to their lazy directors and social workers who sit in offices all day and take three-hour lunches instead of going into the community to help the people they're supposed to help?

I cannot argue something that you believe is true, but you need to know that the directors are at the whim of whatever political buttwipe that is governor at the time. The social workers (at least the ones in Pa) all do not do home visits only a select few. The way that it is set up people report to their respective offices depending on where they live. Judging from your response you are not very well educated on the welfare system and what it can and can not do. The offices are limited to budget and political restraints, but obviously you did not know that.

BTW, I did not formulate any stereotype, what I said comes from the experiences that I had as a caseworker

Old 02-29-2012, 02:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What's not "simple" about making sure you don't get pregnant when you can't feed the child you might otherwise create?

I don't think anyone is saying you SHOULD get pregnant knowing you can't feed a child.
I don't think anyone is saying that SHOULDN'T have a long-term plan.

What I personally am disagreeing with is your notion that before starting a family you should plan for every possible life event that may occur.

When I was born my parents were married. My dad said my mother didn't have to work so how she used her check was at her discretion. She did save the majority of it. However, when my dad decided to leave he left with the majority of that money. I guess she could have put 50% in a joint account & 50% in a private account but I guess she wasn't planning for him to be a jerk.

So we struggled for awhile. She worked, we rebounded.

Then my mom got remarried. Many years later my step-dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. Yep we had insurance but toward the end my mom had to leave her job to take care of him. So we struggled for awhile, then we rebounded.

After he died, she got a new job. A few years later (2004) hurricanes tore our city apart. Her job closed, our house was damaged, she & my younger brother moved in with me.

I don't know what kind financial plan she could have possibly had that would have covered all that so by your views me & my siblings shouldn't have been born. Yet here we are...three tax paying college graduates.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't think anyone is saying you SHOULD get pregnant knowing you can't feed a child.
I don't think anyone is saying that SHOULDN'T have a long-term plan.

What I personally am disagreeing with is your notion that before starting a family you should plan for every possible life event that may occur.

When I was born my parents were married. My dad said my mother didn't have to work so how she used her check was at her discretion. She did save the majority of it. However, when my dad decided to leave he left with the majority of that money. I guess she could have put 50% in a joint account & 50% in a private account but I guess she wasn't planning for him to be a jerk.

So we struggled for awhile. She worked, we rebounded.

Then my mom got remarried. Many years later my step-dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. Yep we had insurance but toward the end my mom had to leave her job to take care of him. So we struggled for awhile, then we rebounded.

After he died, she got a new job. A few years later (2004) hurricanes tore our city apart. Her job closed, our house was damaged, she & my younger brother moved in with me.

I don't know what kind financial plan she could have possibly had that would have covered all that so by your views me & my siblings shouldn't have been born. Yet here we are...three tax paying college graduates.
I'm glad you and your family rebounded. I really am. That's what safety nets like food stamps and welfare are for. Temporary assitance until you can get back on your feet.

But to be clear, WIC is not a safety net. WIC is specifically set up to help those who can't feed their children. I see no valid reason why WIC should be necessary if people exercised personsal responsiblity before getting pregnant. If a person can't buy formula or other food for a newborn or toddlers, they shouldn't have children. Period.

Bad luck and bad decisions are two different things. Bad luck, in theory, gets you welfare and food stamps. Bad decisions get a person WIC.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:26 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Bad luck and bad decisions are two different things. Bad luck, in theory, gets you welfare and food stamps. Bad decisions get a person WIC.
And this is where you and I disagree because you can not look at a person getting WIC and determine if they are getting it because of bad choices or bad luck. Even the best made plans fail sometimes.

I personally like to believe that my life is typical of middle class America. You hit some bumps in the road but you recover and keep on going. So I am in favor of programs like WIC for that reason. Of course I know that there are some people who are going to milk the system. That is human nature. Any time there is a program, a test, a venue, etc there will be at least one person who tires to cheat the system, to get it for free. As long as people have free will that's always going to be the case.

I just don't agree with the "let the actions of a few ruin it for everyone" concept.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
I'm glad you and your family rebounded. I really am. That's what safety nets like food stamps and welfare are for. Temporary assitance until you can get back on your feet.

But to be clear, WIC is not a safety net. WIC is specifically set up to help those who can't feed their children. I see no valid reason why WIC should be necessary if people exercised personsal responsiblity before getting pregnant. If a person can't buy formula or other food for a newborn, they shouldn't have a newborn. Period.

WIC was NOT "set up to help those who can't feed their children".

It was established because too many babies were being born with problems due to malnutrition of the mother. It was deemed easier to feed low income pregnant women than it was to care for the infants born with major health problems due to lack of proper nutrition.
Young children growing up in poverty need to eat healthy foods - just like children everywhere; proper nutrition feeds the body and the mind.

I have read this whole thread. I take the stance that WIC is a good program that does not need cutting. (Yes, I used it 30 years ago.)

This is the history of WIC...
fanrr27c.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Old 02-29-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
WIC was NOT "set up to help those who can't feed their children".

It was established because too many babies were being born with problems due to malnutrition of the mother. It was deemed easier to feed low income pregnant women than it was to care for the infants born with major health problems due to lack of proper nutrition.
Young children growing up in poverty need to eat healthy foods - just like children everywhere; proper nutrition feeds the body and the mind.

I have read this whole thread. I take the stance that WIC is a good program that does not need cutting. (Yes, I used it 30 years ago.)

This is the history of WIC...
fanrr27c.pdf (application/pdf Object)
That was the "original" intent. But the original intent.....as with every other government program.....is so widely skewed and abused that discussions like this have to take place....especially a taxpayer dollars and personal irresponsibility are concerned.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:

I'm responsible. Unfortunately I don't live everyone else's life for them and neither do you. We know that lot's of people are ignorant, unlucky, irresponsible and others are downright stupid. FACTS. That's the problem with this argument, it always hits that wall. HENCE..not simple is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies