Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Oh, not another, "i did everything all on my own without any help from da gobernment" Susie....

Funny how that myth of never taking anything from the big bad gobernment is so easy to bust, yet you wingnuts keep using it.

Tax credits for building a building, tax credits for hiring someone, the public subsidized use of roads, bridges, water mains, sewers and infrastructure to generate your wealth. The benefits of a military, police force, fire dept. and rescue to protect you and your money production schemes.

But, NO, you didn't take ANYTHING so you should have to pay anything.
I can't accept the last part of this one since I have been paying to Social Security since I was 12 (that would be 67 years) and have been paying to Medicare since its inception during the Democrat days in control of Congress. All of a sudden I find out that these two things are entitlements although I have paid into them all that time. The calling of them entitlements sounds so congressional speak to me. Now some of the things in that progressive bit of humor may be entitlements but not those two programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If that's the case, then why did we create the safety net in the first place? Do you think it was just crafted in a vacuum?
It was crafted largely by progressives aiming at the present attempt to take over control of us.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Does anybody have statistics on the percentage of our budget that goes towards welfare (food stamps and housing)? I've heard and seen reports where it was an extremely small portion of the budget. It would be false to assume that our economic troubles are due to welfare. Welfare for the poor that is.

It makes up about 14% of the budget.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, if the residents and town counsel think it is a net positive for the community to give a tax break to a company to come to town, (and vote to do so) bringing in people to frequent the town and spend their money, this is no different than any other business deal. For example, if I tell a vendor 'I will buy X thousand of your widgets if you give them to me for Y dollars', that is the same sort of business deal. Instead of shifting tax obligations, it is requiring the vendor to cut his profit margin, but with the potential for long-term business and growth.
It the residents vote to bring in the business, with a tax break, then they believe that the overall benefit exceeds the reduction in tax base, made up for by increased consumer spending in the town. If they didn't believe that, they wouldn't do it. Also, it provides the potential to set up the town as a company magnet.
This is simple business 101.
Talking to a prog with that kind of reasoning is kind of like talking to a fence post and will get about as much response. Good job of trying but it won't work in this case.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I hear the same song from the left over and over again...."You want to do this or that on the backs of the poor!".

Cut medicaid, SSI, Food Stamps, Welfare, WIC and SCHIP.

Allowing people to fend for themselves would create a better society.

Two generations and we'll all be better.
I don't think you have been successful in getting across to the progs about how they really do believe that the government owns our homes, cars, clothes etc. They continually talk about how the government owns so it doesn't have to take away all those things.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:04 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Talking to a prog with that kind of reasoning is kind of like talking to a fence post and will get about as much response. Good job of trying but it won't work in this case.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You are absolutely right. Once they start getting bombarded with facts, reality and logic, there is radio silence, and they run for the hills.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
It makes up about 14% of the budget.
Thanks for the update. Not to discredit you, but I did a little more research myself after trying to revert back to my college years (took a course on world hunger and poverty) and drawing a blank.

It appears that the 14% is not representative of the actual budget numbers (similar to how our military spending numbers are skewed). "Welfare" as we're discussing it actually makes up a lot less than 14% of the budget. According to this in-depth analysis, welfare (referring to public housing and food stamps) makes up 5-6% of our federal budget.

How much do we REALLY spend on Welfare?

It would be interesting to see more breakdowns of these huge "umbrella" terms we use to classify our budget. I wonder how much of our tax dollars are being wasted and how much of our money is actually being used efficiently.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:12 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Yep, dead serious. When a business owner says I will build a plant to make parts in your town but you have to give me a fifteen year tax break that business owner has shifted his tax obligations onto others. Everyone else in town pays more so he can pay less.

Someone taking tax breaks while claiming the did it ON THEIR OWN is a liar. The benefited from local services they didnt pay for, them burdened others.
So the plant that employs the workers of that town is actually a burden?

Again I ask, Seriously?

Do all liberals truly believe that it's a zero sum game? The economy is not a closed system and it never will be no matter how many variables liberals try to control. This ain't Monopoly.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I wonder how much of our tax dollars are being wasted and how much of our money is actually being used efficiently.

That would depend on what one considers waste. Personaly I beleive that at least 50% is waste. Now if you were to ask someone who benefits from something I consider waste , Im sure they would disagree.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:30 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
That would depend on what one considers waste. Personaly I beleive that at least 50% is waste. Now if you were to ask someone who benefits from something I consider waste , Im sure they would disagree.
I concur. What I'd like to see is an in-depth break down of the federal budget similar to the one in the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies