Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times

Advertisements

And if ya hit a tollbooth ya paying a road use tax, but that is not a federal income tax. When federal income taxes are mentioned , the left loves to talk about every other tax. Thing is, everyone else also pays them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
And if ya hit a tollbooth ya paying a road use tax, but that is not a federal income tax. When federal income taxes are mentioned , the left loves to talk about every other tax. Thing is, everyone else also pays them.
Funny, how you wingnuts wanta negate the taxes the poor and middle class do pay. Federal income taxes are but one segment of a vast taxing system. We know why you eanta steer away from payroll taxes, seeing that is a regressive tax on the bottom 2/3 of the country.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Funny, how you wingnuts wanta negate the taxes the poor and middle class do pay. Federal income taxes are but one segment of a vast taxing system. We know why you eanta steer away from payroll taxes, seeing that is a regressive tax on the bottom 2/3 of the country.

Not trying to steer away from it. Ill gladly admit they do pay them. No one is complaining about them not paying them. Its federal income taxes .

Old 03-08-2012, 01:38 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Not trying to steer away from it. Ill gladly admit they do pay them. No one is complaining about them not paying them. Its federal income taxes .
No, its NOT federal income tax, that is a lame talking point, it is overall tax burden. And as an extension of that the overall tax burden as a percentage of disposable income.

Fact, the poor and much of the middle class has little is any extra disposable income left after taxes and basic needs. The user wealthy can have more than 50% of their income available to them after paying for their taxes, food, clothing and shelter. The rest of the country has been sacrificing, time that 1% ups their contribution.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
No, its NOT federal income tax, that is a lame talking point, it is overall tax burden. And as an extension of that the overall tax burden as a percentage of disposable income.

Fact, the poor and much of the middle class has little is any extra disposable income left after taxes and basic needs. The user wealthy can have more than 50% of their income available to them after paying for their taxes, food, clothing and shelter. The rest of the country has been sacrificing, time that 1% ups their contribution.

No one is going to be happy with just the 1%. Then it will be the 10%.
Why should one man have to carry more of the countrys bills then another for no other reason then he has positioned himself to make more.
Thats absurd. makes about as much sense as telling a man with 5 kids he has to give one to a childless couple, because , ya know , after all he has more.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Payroll taxes are not regressive. The system is rigged in favor of lower income workers who benefit disproportionately from the system.

If you need proof, visit the SSA website. They spell it out.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:07 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
No one is going to be happy with just the 1%. Then it will be the 10%.
Why should one man have to carry more of the countrys bills then another for no other reason then he has positioned himself to make more.
Thats absurd. makes about as much sense as telling a man with 5 kids he has to give one to a childless couple, because , ya know , after all he has more.
It's called a progressive tax system. We've had one for years.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Payroll taxes are not regressive. The system is rigged in favor of lower income workers who benefit disproportionately from the system.

If you need proof, visit the SSA website. They spell it out.
Rigged is a very strong word. If the system is so "rigged" people would prefer to make a lower income than higher no?

We have a progressive tax system where higher income tax brackets pay more than lower income tax brackets. Those who are on the lower end of the spectrum are currently having trouble just paying for basic needs.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A childless adult working full time at minimum wage pays $1600+ annually in federal taxes ($500+ FIT, $1100+ payroll taxes), or approx 11% of his gross income.

At one time I also paid 4.4% state income tax, 6% state sales tax, and (based on the amount of property taxes embedded in my rent) 8% of my income in property taxes (including a steep nonhomestead tax on rental property).

So I was paying in the neighborhood of 25% of my income in taxes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

If true (which contradicts the link I posted), then you got a bargain. I paid, percentage-wise, twice that. State sales tax only applies to things that you buy (not your whole income, and most states don't cover food and clothing). For non-homesteading, 8% of your gross, or of your rent? Radically different).

If true, you would benefit wonderfully from a 15% flat tax (and so would I). Tell the libertards that.

Live with it, or tactically change your strategy, or move somewhere else. I chose the middle choice.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Somehow we have bred a strain of very selfish people that do not believe they have any obligation to anyone else. They also seem to suffer from the delusion that if they work real hard and kiss the correct arses they will someday be mega millionaires. Some just have to wait until Daddy dies.

The result is they oppose any spending on people poorer than they and any taxation on the people they expect to be. I count them a deluded short sighted and selfish RWA’s or NJ’s if we are being polite. I regret having to share my country with people like this. They really need to be subject to an all encompassing military draft in order to understand that they are not the only people in the country.

I think a social safety net should include enough money and medical care that a person can survive without having to humiliate themselves by begging for a job. If we can have thousands living on inherited wealth why shouldn’t that wealth be applied to all of us not just a selected few? Having such a safety net would allow people to actually make the best of themselves even if what they did was not profitable.

A social safety net is like a trapeze artist working with a net. They will always try the more difficult because failure will not mean dying. Without the net they will not be as risky. I believe the same applies to business. Many more people will try business if they are not risking their or their family’s health and welfare.
It is not just YOUR country, thank God. Your ideas of redistibution of wealth sicken me. No conservative denies help to those that can not help themselves or even a temporary hand to help through a tough patch. But these days where half the country is on the take and not even paying any federal income tax is not a safety net but a hammock. Takers work harder finding ways to feed off the public trough than they would if they just got a dam job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies