Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times

Advertisements

Actualy I dont think there is a federal budget to breakdown. Budgets are for pions and pansies. Ask the gvmt , they will tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
To overcome the hardship of the Great Depression.
Safety nets are supposed to be temporary.
They are temporary. For the user's that is.

There is a reason why all first world nations have social safety nets. It's what civilized people do.

If we can afford trillions on wars, we can afford a social safety net for crying out loud.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:39 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
Who says we can afford trillions on wars?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
So the plant that employs the workers of that town is actually a burden?

Again I ask, Seriously?

Do all liberals truly believe that it's a zero sum game? The economy is not a closed system and it never will be no matter how many variables liberals try to control. This ain't Monopoly.
If one employer has a tax abatement deal and pays zero property tax, isn't he getting a govrrnment funded competitive advantage over other employers that don't have that subsidy?

I'm not concerned with the by products of a new building his plant. He has game the system going so. The next town over has dozens of 15 year old plants and warehouses setting empty because the owners split when the tax abatements dried up. It is the way of the world, companies demanding a free ride to settle somewhere and moving to a new location when the free ride is over. That, or they hold up the government for another round of freebies. Heck, we have a stupid governor that gave $400,000,000 in tax breaks to leep a company that had zero intention of leaving.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Because most of us do."

And that matters to me how?

Quote:"You wanting some special exemption?"

Nope. Flat tax, 15%, no deductions for anything. (well, tax-deferred investments, such as 401K and IRA's are exempt).

Quote:"Even the working poor, minimum wage grunts, pay a healthy share of their income toward taxes. 25% to 30% or more."

That's a knee-slapper.

Look up the numbers. 45% of households owe no federal income tax for 2010 - Apr. 17, 2011

Quote:"I hear the tax rates are better in Somalia if you after a better return"

Don't have to do that and can still live here. My goal is to become one of the 45% that pays close to nothing, and it is not that hard to do.
You trying to claim you pay 50% of your income infrderal income taxes????? No, you're saying your TOTAL tax bite to all entities is 50%. Same with the working poor. They pay at all levels. Maybe not as much as you or me, but they pay a much greater percentage of their DISPOSABLE income to taxes than either of us. Once the pay their rent (their contribution towards local property taxes and their kids' educations), buy foods and clothing (including their share of sales taxes) and the cost of fuels (along with the taxes built in) to heat and light their home and fuel their car (dont forget them plates and title fees) they still pay their payroll taxes, and ate nickeled and dined with fees, tolls, and taxes at every turn. But you wants total up ALL your taxes and compare that with what the working poor pay in federal taxes and ignore everything else.

Typical wingnut logic.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Who says we can afford trillions on wars?
We can't...good point.

However, i want the people that cry so loudly about entitlements to cry just as loud about war and military spending.

I won't hold my breath.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:58 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We can't...good point.

However, i want the people that cry so loudly about entitlements to cry just as loud about war and military spending.

I won't hold my breath.
How about me? I'm not the only one.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
There is a reason why all first world nations have social safety nets. It's what civilized people do.
And do those nation-States (since that's what nearly all of them are) also have 6 carrier battle groups?

Germany, which is a nation-State, could not afford its social welfare programs if it had 6 carrier battle groups.

But, then Germany benefits from the actions the US undertakes. You can give you your carrier battle groups, but then you cannot whine and complain when the rest of the world dumps the US Dollar and your currency goes **** up.

You want a certain life-style and you want a certain standard of living, but you don't understand that having both the life and the standard of living come with a price-tag and that price tag revolves around 6 carrier battle groups.

It also means you government, and by extension you personally, since yours is a government of the people, by the people, for the people, does things that are truly ugly, like sending people like me to Honduras to romp through the jungle and terrorize villagers, in an attempt to coerce them into voting for the US puppet, so that US corporations can operate with impunity.

Think of the world as one gigantic shopping mall just for Americans (since that's basically what it is).

You have security guards at shopping malls, right? And why? Because if you didn't, then people wouldn't shop there and eventually stores would pull out, jobs would be lost and the shopping mall would end up closing.

Quote:
If we can afford trillions on wars, we can afford a social safety net for crying out loud.
Then shift the programs to the States. I'm not asking that you completely forgo your social welfare programs, I'm just asking that you transfer 100% control to the States.

I'll rephrase, if yo want my support for social welfare programs, then shut down the federal government and transfer those programs to the State and let the people of each State decide how they are run.

It's just common sense.

As I have repeatedly asked, and as all *******s have repeatedly side-stepped and dodged the issue, where is the logic?

The cost-of-living varies dramatically in the US from State-to-State, yet *******s refuse to acknowledge that. Why?

Can even one of you muster up enough courage to answer that question?

What is it that you fear?

Because your cost-of-living varies dramatically, there are people earning the federal minimum wage and living a Middle Class life-style, while others can't even afford to rent an 8' x 10' room each month.

How can you possibly justify that? One person is being enriched at the expense of another. And you liberals think that is cool.

The governmetn hands out $500 in Food Stamps. In some States, a family of four can eat very well on $300 per month while in other States a family of 4 could barely feed themselves 1,200 calories per day on $500.

Once again, someone is being unjustly enriched at the expense of another, and you liberals think that is just the greatest thing in the world.

And what is your solution? Increase Food Stamp benefits. Well that's just great. Now one family can eat for 2 months off of $600 and another family in another State can only eat for 1 month.

And you don't see the waste and inefficiency?

How can you possibly justify that?

Why won't any of you liberals answer? What are you afraid of? Well, for starters, your wrong, and you just cannot admit it.

Reasoning...

Mircea

[quote=roysoldboy;23301314]I can't accept the last part of this one since I have been paying to Social Security since I was 12 (that would be 67 years) and have been paying to Medicare since its inception during the Democrat days in control of Congress. All of a sudden I find out that these two things are entitlements although I have paid into them all that time.
[quote]

Social Security is not an entitlement program. Social Security is an insurance program. That's why it is called Old Age Survivor's Insurance (OASI) and also Old Age Disability Insurance (OADI).

The minimum monthly Social Security benefit is $1

The maximum monthly Social Security benefit is $2,513

When you retire, you will receive somewhere between $1 and $2,513 based on your average monthly earnings.

Notice I said "average monthly earnings."

Notice that I did not say "the total amount you earned over your life-time" or "the total amount of FICA taxes you paid."

The amount of FICA taxes you paid is irrelevant, because Social Security is not a pension plan, nor is it a retirement savings plan, nor is it a 401(k) plan. It is an insurance plan.

I'll quote the idiot Goss from his February 28 testimony before Congress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page 3 Goss Testimony
Social Security benefits were never intended to provide all we need in retirement.
For those who cannot read, I'll highlight the relevant parts:

Social Security benefits were never intended to provide all we need in retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page 5 Goss Testimony
If we do not act, benefit levels will be reduced automatically by about 25 percent by 2036.
Again, for the hard of hearing:

If we do not act, benefit levels
will be reduced automatically by about 25 percent by 2036.

He's got the date wrong. It's actually 2025-2026.

As far as Medicare, I would have to call that an entitlement program, since it has been altered. Originally, Medicare covered only hospitalization. Medicare never covered doctor's office visits and all of the other nonsense which bankrupted the system.

Medicare claims the HI Trust Fund will be exhausted, but for reasons which I have elaborated on in this and other threads, the actual default date is 2018.

Medicare asked Congress to raise the Medicare tax or cut benefits 17% in June 2011. Congress has failed or refused to do either, and that makes the default date 2017. And if Congress does nothing this year, then the default date will be 2016. And if Congress does nothing in 2013, the default date will be 2015 and so on.

If you restore Medicare to its original intended purpose, which is hospitalization only,meaning that if you aren't in the hospital then Medicare pays 0%, then you could probably keep Medicare far longer than Social Security.

Clarifying...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You don't understand that nothing you think can accomplish can be accomplished without my respect for your rights. When you have no respect for the rights of anyone else, your own rights are negated. This includes corporate America bribing my representation out from under me.

<<Snip>>

SUB Rant (No Arguments, Stupid Arguments, Idiotic Statements)

DIM Loser AS CONSTANT WHINER
SELECT CASE Rant
IF Rant THEN
DO RANT
WHILE Loser = TRUE
LOOP
END IF
END SELECT
Rant = Loser

END SUB

<<Snip>>
Sarah Palin absolutely does represent you. She charmed her way into a mayor's office job, used the job as a means to hire lobbyists with half a million dollars of money wasilla didn't have for the chance to prey on congressional committees & procure an ice rink for Eskimos. The Tea party champion of fiscal conservative. The libertarian enlightened self interest spitting on legitimate stewardship. Too ignorant to be ashamed of themselves.
How many members of Corporate America have you terminated?

Obviously none, so rant away.

Amused...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Proof positive of what I have said for many years: there's no such thing as "common sense". So if the guy doesn't hang around for 9 years, the kids should not get any support from him?
My function on Planet Earth is not pay for the mistakes of others.

As usual, you don't apply any common sense.

The government engages in "social engineering" and freely admits it. You can read any number of government funded studies about the topic. If you want to engage in social engineering that common sense says that in the event of the, um, "no-fault" divorce, whoever files the petition pays 100% of the child support. If that is woman, then she pays 100% and the man does nothing, and if it is the man, then he pays 100%.

I guess since some people aren't too bright, I should elaborate and explain that in the old days before the existence of "no-fault" divorce, you could petition on grounds of physical/emotional abuse; abandonment; alcohol, drugs or gambling; crimes of moral turpitude; or infidelity.

That means if an husband petitions for divorce on grounds of infidelity, then the wife pays 100% of the child support. If a woman files on grounds of infidelity then the husband pays 100%.

And for women who aren't married, they get nothing.

What kind of social engineering do you think that will produce? Perhaps women will learn how to keep their panties on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Did you invent that post? Either that or that poster is fregging crazy. Talk about making women second class citizens dependent on the irresponsible whims of an otherwise dead beat daddy. What an a-hole???
Irresponsible whims? Are you suggesting women's panties magically come off by themselves? Or do you believe pregnancy is a matter of mystical experiences?

How does one go about that? Does one use a magic wand or can one invoke a spell?

Anti-Panty Field
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 10 feet
Areaa: 10 foot radius centered on you
Duration: 6 minutes
Saving Throw: None
Resistance: Yes, if Lesbian

An invisible barrier surrounds you and moves with you, pulling off the panties of any women within the radius.

An Anti-Panty Field suppresses birth control or any other spells or magical effects used within, brought into, or cast into the area.

If you cast an Anti-Panty Field in an area occupied by a Lesbian, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against the Lesbian's spell resistance to make them come off.

Furthermore, while a penile implant does not function properly within the area, it is still semi-erect. Should an obese woman be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier is unaffected by the field.

Sperm Swarm

Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 400 feet + 40 feet per level
Duration: Instantaneous.
Saving Throw: None or half
Spell Resistance: Yes, if lacking serviceable parts

Sperm Swarm is a very powerful and spectacular spell that is similar to ****-Ball
in many aspects. When you cast it, four 2-foot-diameter globs of sperm spring from your outstretched hand and streak in straight lines to the spots you select. The sperm spheres leave a slimy trail of goo.
If you aim a sphere at a specific woman, you may make a ranged touch attack to impregnate the target with the sperm. Any woman struck by one of these spheres takes 2d6 points of water-weight gain (no save) and receives no saving throw against the sphere’s clothing damage. If a targeted sperm sphere misses its target, it simply explodes on the target’s face. You may aim more than one sperm sphere at the same target.

Once a sperm sphere reaches its destination, it explodes in a 40-foot-radius spread, dealing 6d6 points of delight to each woman in the area. If a woman is within the area of more than one sphere, she must save separately against each.

Magically...

Mircea

Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
If one employer has a tax abatement deal and pays zero property tax, isn't he getting a govrrnment funded competitive advantage over other employers that don't have that subsidy?

I'm not concerned with the by products of a new building his plant. He has game the system going so. The next town over has dozens of 15 year old plants and warehouses setting empty because the owners split when the tax abatements dried up. It is the way of the world, companies demanding a free ride to settle somewhere and moving to a new location when the free ride is over. That, or they hold up the government for another round of freebies. Heck, we have a stupid governor that gave $400,000,000 in tax breaks to leep a company that had zero intention of leaving.

So one employer negotiated a better deal and that is somehow subsidization?

What do empty plants in neighboring cities have to do with anything? The owners moved on to other cities that would offer them a better deal. So what?
If the guy on one corner is offering blue widgets (and you need lots of blue widgets to keep your gadgets from exploding) for $5.00 per unit and the guy on the next corner is selling exactly the same widget with the same warranty and all that for $10.00 per unit, assuming you know about the guy selling the same for half, are you going to pay $10.00? Be honest.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
So one employer negotiated a better deal and that is somehow subsidization?

What do empty plants in neighboring cities have to do with anything? The owners moved on to other cities that would offer them a better deal. So what?
If the guy on one corner is offering blue widgets (and you need lots of blue widgets to keep your gadgets from exploding) for $5.00 per unit and the guy on the next corner is selling exactly the same widget with the same warranty and all that for $10.00 per unit, assuming you know about the guy selling the same for half, are you going to pay $10.00? Be honest.
Better deal???? Sure sounds like crony capitalism to me. Thought you wingnuts were against cronyism. You sure doesn't sound like free market capitalist, governments giving hand outs like tax abatement are tinkering with your free market aren't they???? And if they aren't playing favorites should everyone get what one gets????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies