Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 06:19 PM

994 posts, read 725,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Where does it cost $40 to get a photo id??

How much do state ID cards cost? - DMV Answers

The most expensive is $33.50. And really, if you can't afford an ID which you need for just about everything unless you're under 18 years of age, then you've got bigger problems to worry about than just voting!

Actually I did some further research on this and OR DMV does charge $45 bucks for their ID cards (Ca & NV it's only $12). But it seems to me, that if the price of the ID card is the problem, then the people in those states should talk to their legislature about changing the prices. The price shouldn't be what stops the voter ID laws. These laws are just simply smart to avoid any voter fraud and it doesn't discriminate against anyone! Everyone, despite age/color/religion/sex must show an ID to VOTE. How does that descriminate against any group of people?
It doesn't discriminate per se. It treats all people equally. But the new trend in racism is to go beyond that to "disparate impact."

See more white people have ID than black people. A rational person says 'well then black people should go get an ID so they can vote just like everyone else' but the Democrats instead say you're being racist to require the IDs.

Because the unspoken truth is that they know these people won't get an ID.

Doesn't matter if they are whites, blacks, or hispanics. If being able to get a job and open a bank account didn't motivate them to get an ID, then being able to vote isn't going to do it. And they know these people, while apathetic about voting in the first place, will vote Democrat if they do vote.

It's dishonest and pathetic in the extreme. But that's Democrats for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Nope, nice try. The constitution says NO POLL TAXES, while the constitution gives us the right to bear arms it also gives congress the right to lay taxes....
It's more a question of the 4th Amendment in the voter ID situation. Are American's required to have "proper papers" or is their personal information protected?

The Right of Privacy: Is it Protected by the Constitution?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Not sure what SC law says so can;t comment, I;ll try and read it this morning. I sure if they had a small provsion that said that so long as a person can prove their identity through some other accepatble way spelled out in the law, I can;t see why anyone would object.

The law on Hawai'i to prove identity to vote is less strict than the law to prove the right to vote. It was easy for me to prove to Hawai'i I was over 18 I just showed my out of state drivers licenese. It was easy to prove to Hawai'i that I was a US citizen, I showed my passport. But to prove I lived at the address on my voters registartion was the tough one because the place was all under my employer and I really had no acceptable residency proof. I ended up having to do a Vouch For by the person I was replacing who had to take out the affidavit that I was living at that address.

The question I have is what is SC doing to prove that the person voting is indeed legaly voting only in that polling place and that they legally are within the boundaries of that voting place? This is not about identity, this is about preventing the most commo0n fraud of all and that is people moving around and the elections department doing absolutley squat to prevent people from voting in different states. Hawai'i is constatly looking at ways to identify people who could be doing this as the whole point of their system is to ensure the one person, one vote, in the correct voting place belief.

(I know many politicians hate this cause it catches their fraudulent switching of residences to campaign for office someplace they really were not legal residents. so its not just the voters this is designed to verify, but the politicians as well)
Really, the same deal. Have to prove who you are, that you're over 18, and can legally vote in that particular precinct.

The last time I voted, the polls were set up for the new laws since the DOJ blocked this law pretty close to the election. It was kind of nice if you had a SC ID. They just scanned it, that matched the registrar system and verified you were in the right location. Otherwise, they had to manually go through the lists of voters to find your name.

But when you register to vote, you have to prove you are legally allowed to vote in that location via electric bill with SC ID, etc. There are a number of methods to prove that that the registrar will accept. Then once you are in the registrars' system, the ID is to verify you are who you say you are once you reach the polls. Sounds like a similar setup to Hawaii with the exception of being able to have that provision to have someone vouch for you.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Really, the same deal. Have to prove who you are, that you're over 18, and can legally vote in that particular precinct.

The last time I voted, the polls were set up for the new laws since the DOJ blocked this law pretty close to the election. It was kind of nice if you had a SC ID. They just scanned it, that matched the registrar system and verified you were in the right location. Otherwise, they had to manually go through the lists of voters to find your name.

But when you register to vote, you have to prove you are legally allowed to vote in that location via electric bill with SC ID, etc. There are a number of methods to prove that that the registrar will accept. Then once you are in the registrars' system, the ID is to verify you are who you say you are once you reach the polls. Sounds like a similar setup to Hawaii with the exception of being able to have that provision to have someone vouch for you.
Since when is a signature not good enough to prove who you are?

In SC how do they check your photo ID when you mail in an absentee ballot request? Would it be possible for someone with the means to file hundreds of absentee ballot requests and never have to show one photo ID?????? Are you smelling a huge flaw in the system???

Last edited by buzzards27; 03-13-2012 at 06:48 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,836,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It's more a question of the 4th Amendment in the voter ID situation. Are American's required to have "proper papers" or is their personal information protected?

The Right of Privacy: Is it Protected by the Constitution?
The 4th amendment deals with search and seizures:
Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
It has 'nothing' to do with having a valid ID for such things as: purchasing beer, cigarettes, receiving food stamps, getting into your favorite nightclub or voting!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
The 4th amendment deals with search and seizures:

It has 'nothing' to do with having a valid ID for such things as: purchasing beer, cigarettes, receiving food stamps, getting into your favorite nightclub or voting!
"papers"?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Since when is a signature not good enough to prove who you are?

In SC how do they check your photo ID when you mail in an absentee ballot request? Would it be possible for someone with the means to fill hundreds of absentee ballot requests and never have to show one photo ID?????? Are you smelling a huge flaw in the system???
Since when has a signature been good enough to prove who you are? Tried that anywhere else?? The ability to copy a signature is not a method of identification. Say I broke my writing hand and my signature doesn't match, does that mean I can't vote then? I think an ID would be a better and more accepted method of proving your identification. It already works so successfully when you travel to foreign countries, buy guns, cash checks, open a bank account, fly on an airplane, and any other numerous applications. None of those consider a simple signature as a valid means of proving identity.

As far as absentee ballots, I know there has to be a witness as certification of the person is who indeed they say they are but I am not well versed on all of the intricacies of absentee ballots.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Since when has a signature been good enough to prove who you are? Tried that anywhere else?? The ability to copy a signature is not a method of identification. Say I broke my writing hand and my signature doesn't match, does that mean I can't vote then? I think an ID would be a better and more accepted method of proving your identification. It already works so successfully when you travel to foreign countries, buy guns, cash checks, open a bank account, fly on an airplane, and any other numerous applications. None of those consider a simple signature as a valid means of proving identity.

As far as absentee ballots, I know there has to be a witness as certification of the person is who indeed they say they are but I am not well versed on all of the intricacies of absentee ballots.
The people committing absentee ballot fraud are well versed in how to do it. That is where most voter fraud occurs. See WV sheriff that was recently sentence for stuffing hundreds of absentee ballots... No photo ID's required. Real easy to pull off, why isn't that covered by these voter suppression laws?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
The people committing absentee ballot fraud are well versed in how to do it. That is where most voter fraud occurs. See WV sheriff that was recently sentence for stuffing hundreds of absentee ballots... No photo ID's required. Real easy to pull off, why isn't that covered by these voter suppression laws?
What fraud?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I find it comical that you decide to call the Southern states versions voter suppression laws when no such suppression is occurring in the other states that require ID to vote. Nonetheless, I think having a stronger system in place for absentee voting would be good but neither Democrats or Republicans seem eager to approach that issue because of the impact it could have upon our military.

But even if the absentee voting has not been addressed strongly enough by these laws, why would that invalidate the law to address identification of voters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies