Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 05:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I thought it was pretty well laid out.

You are either a provider, or a recipient.

What is so difficult to understand?

Where is the income dividing line between recipient and provider?

And if i was in the recipient class what would i be receiving from the provider class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:18 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
What happens when you get multiple sclerosis, schizophrenia, brain damage from an accident, quadriplegia from an accident, paraplegia from a stroke, Hodgkins Disease or any disabling form of cancer? Alzheimers? Your family MIGHT take you in after your savings have been exhausted on medical care, or maybe no one will, but they won't be able to afford your treatments. Your church sure as hell isn't going to pick up the tab for long-term health care. If you had a low-income job you probably weren't able to afford health insurance.

I DID have stock investments when younger, but had to cash them in gradually because of disability. Yes, I made a small profit. But as much as I would have hated being heavily taxed on it (on a greed level of thinking), I've always understood the wisdom in society needing to do so - especially if the tax money isn't spent on frivolous wars overseas, or on making new "gee whiz" methods of human extermination. Those things are simply corporate welfare for defense contractors - it's why they surround Congress with highly paid lobbyists.

By the way, you're very unlikely to have a middle class job and become wealthy from it, even with investments, especially if you are married with children. That's not how the wealthy recipient classes are made. Rags-to-riches is very uncommon, despite the propaganda to the contrary.
WOW!

Very inspiring!

Have you ever considered becoming a motivational speaker?

Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

And if i was in the recipient class what would i be receiving from the provider class?
You tell me.

Do you take more than you pay?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 AM

800 posts, read 508,818 times
Quote:
If your breakfast didn't kill you because it had to pass government food inspection, then you are a recipient.
If your health is not degraded from lead and pollutants in the air thanks to government regulations, then you are a recipient.
If your children didn't die from diarrhea because they drink clean water from public utilities, then you are a recipient.
If you got to work this morning using a public roadway, then you are a recipient.
If your car didn't kill or maim you thanks to government safety standards, then you are a recipient.
If your boss has to give you safety equipment, regular breaks, and reasonable compensation due to labor laws, then you are a recipient.
If you can transact business in the world's most reliable and trusted currency, the dollar, then you are a recipient.
If your bank can't fold in the middle of the night and take all your savings due to banking laws, then you are a recipient.
If you or your children have ever attended a public school or college, then you are a recipient.
If you have ever used emergency paramedic, fire, or police services, then you are a recipient.
If you or your parents use Medicare to access medical treatment, then you are a recipient.

If you take everything I mentioned above for granted and whine about how unfair your tax burden is, then you are an ungrateful cheapskate.
All of the things listed above can still be available using a small fraction of the government's current expenditure, except medicare which my parents and I never asked for. That post is kinda like saying "well, since you're so cheap that you don't want to max that super credit card and spend 3 million on that nice house I guess we'll have to live in a tent."

Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,367 times
Quote:
I will destroy this ridiculousness when I have more time.
Alright, Betaboy, I look forward to your response. In the meantime, here are some more for you to chew on:

If you or your business uses the Internet, which was created from government research, then you are a recipient.
If you or your business has ever used GPS, which is operated by the Air Force, then you are a recipient.
If you or your business has ever used any form of wireless communication, including cell phones, radios, or TV, where signals are deconflicted by the FCC, then you are a recipient.
If you have ever travelled overseas on a U.S. passport with all the services and protections it entails, then you are a recipient.
If you have ever conducted business overseas based on U.S. treaties and open trade policies, then you are a recipient.
If you or your business has ever measured weight, time, or distance of an item, which are standards maintained by NIST, then you are a recipient.
If you have ever traded in futures, commodities, currencies, or bonds, then you are a recipient.
If you have ever lived in an area which recieved aid for an emergency such as hurricanes, tornados, earthquake, floods, or volcanos, then you are a recipient.

Bottom line: taxes are the cost of civilization. Before whining about being a "provider", take a look at the list above and see where you have benefited from public services. Of course, you are aways free to move to a garden spot like Haiti or Somalia where your 'freedom' is unimpeded by a barely functioning government.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
If your breakfast didn't kill you because it had to pass government food inspection, then you are a recipient.
If your health is not degraded from lead and pollutants in the air thanks to government regulations, then you are a recipient.
If your children didn't die from diarrhea because they drink clean water from public utilities, then you are a recipient.
If you got to work this morning using a public roadway, then you are a recipient.
If your car didn't kill or maim you thanks to government safety standards, then you are a recipient.
If your boss has to give you safety equipment, regular breaks, and reasonable compensation due to labor laws, then you are a recipient.
If you can transact business in the world's most reliable and trusted currency, the dollar, then you are a recipient.
If your bank can't fold in the middle of the night and take all your savings due to banking laws, then you are a recipient.
If you or your children have ever attended a public school or college, then you are a recipient.
If you have ever used emergency paramedic, fire, or police services, then you are a recipient.
If you or your parents use Medicare to access medical treatment, then you are a recipient.

If you take everything I mentioned above for granted and whine about how unfair your tax burden is, then you are an ungrateful cheapskate.
The thing with this is.. that those who pay less (and I'm not saying they shouldn't).. have the same exact things provided for them as well, and then some. So expanding your list... to include entitlement programs...

1. Food Stamps
2. Section 8
3. Energy Assistance
4. TANIF
5. WIC
6. Medicaid
7. Free cell phones
8. Childcare Assistance (although may be on State Level?)
9. Earned Income credit (which I think should only be allowed up to tax liability)

So easily there are 9 more areas which are being paid for by someone else. Now, am I saying that they aren't necessary. No. But, given the fact that you listed 11 things that I pay for and I've added 9 more, and the fact that I pay a butt-load more than anyone receiving any of those 9, who's being ungrateful? And who's being a cheapskate?

Look, I'm not trying to be a cheapskate... but the fact remains that there are those of us who sometimes pay more in a year than most people do in 20. And not from investments or capital gains... but from the sweat of our brow. Earned Income. And while we understand that there are those who NEED.. and we are glad to assist.. we also understand that there are those who TAKE. And to put it quite bluntly.. we're sick of it. And we're sick of being told that we don't do enough and getting called ungrateful cheapskates.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:03 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,536,422 times
Quote:
What is the responsibility of the recipient class?

We, in the provider class, know what our perceived responsibility is by a constant barrage of "pay more, you greedy pig!" by lefties.

So....what is the responsibility of the recipient class other than procreating and demanding "rights" at the expense of others?
Did you wake up in the morning and think this was new or brilliant?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Alright, Betaboy, I look forward to your response. In the meantime, here are some more for you to chew on:

If you or your business uses the Internet, which was created from government research, then you are a recipient.
If you or your business has ever used GPS, which is operated by the Air Force, then you are a recipient.
If you or your business has ever used any form of wireless communication, including cell phones, radios, or TV, where signals are deconflicted by the FCC, then you are a recipient.
If you have ever travelled overseas on a U.S. passport with all the services and protections it entails, then you are a recipient.
If you have ever conducted business overseas based on U.S. treaties and open trade policies, then you are a recipient.
If you or your business has ever measured weight, time, or distance of an item, which are standards maintained by NIST, then you are a recipient.
If you have ever traded in futures, commodities, currencies, or bonds, then you are a recipient.
If you have ever lived in an area which recieved aid for an emergency such as hurricanes, tornados, earthquake, floods, or volcanos, then you are a recipient.

Bottom line: taxes are the cost of civilization. Before whining about being a "provider", take a look at the list above and see where you have benefited from public services. Of course, you are aways free to move to a garden spot like Haiti or Somalia where your 'freedom' is unimpeded by a barely functioning government.
This whole post is nothing more than going down in the weeds in order to deflect from the topic at hand. You know this...and you did this on purpose....because the idea of there being a "recipient class" in America makes you uncomfortable. It wouldn't surprise me if you're one of those who reside in the proverbial recipient class. Those who find offense are usually the worst offenders. Especially when it comes to social policy. "Hands off my entitlement!" Those are the loudest barkers. You strike me as one of those individuals. Why else would you deflect on such a grand scale?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
What is the responsibility of the recipient class?
The responsibility of the recipient class is to create jobs, pay wages, and make investments with all those trillions given to them by the Fed, the US Gov't, and the central planners we have who run the financial system. In theory that's how standard GOP supply side economics is supposed to work.

Unfortunately the recipient class isn't fulfilling those responsibilities, because it has a fiduciary duty to shareholders and not taxpayers.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:

Quote:
You tell me.
You started the topic,, you tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies