Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
What's your investment in this guy being not only innocent but also a victim?
It's in everyone's best interest that the right to self-defense is not destroyed by these lynch mobs.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's in everyone's best interest that the right to self-defense is not destroyed by these lynch mobs.
Face it, your gun wielding mascot is now a proven LIAR according to the court (and the evidence)

Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Do you have a link to that? I haven't read it anywhere else.
The comments from the judge wouldn't seem to indicate that:

It seems the judge was more swayed by the financial information. It seems like if he had gotten a new passport 2 weeks after the shooting that the judge wouldn't have dismissed that part so easily.

U.S. News - Judge revokes bail for George Zimmerman in Trayvon Martin case
Yes

George Zimmerman's Bond Revoked - ABC News

Quote:
Prosecutors had filed a motion today to revoke his bond, accusing Zimmerman of "deceiving" the court about his finances and his possession of a second passport, which he apparently acquired two weeks after the shooting.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:57 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Can that stuff be mentioned during his trial? If yes, he is toast. His entire defense is based on how truthful the jury thinks he is being with his side of the story. If the prosecution can prove that he has already lied under oath to a judge, I imagine that most reasonable people would not trust a single word that comes out of his mouth.
Yes, it can, if he takes the witness stand. When he takes the stand he is put under oath, so he's swearing to tell the truth. That I think opens the door to impeachment, and they can bring out all sworn statements he has made about the case which were inconsistent or outright lies, like this one. He was under oath in the bail hearing.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:58 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
So everybody who disagrees with you has a vested interest?

Cool!

Thank God cooler heads prevail at actual trials.
I don't have an opinion on Zimmerman's guilt or innocence in what happened with the shooting. As I've said the few time that I participated in this thread, I have no idea what happened that night. That's for the court and jury to decide.

What I find weird is that someone would discount how bad what happened today looks for Zimmerman. The judge ruled on this in court. This isn't a matter of the media potentially perverting some evidence.

Why someone would just dismiss what happened today is beyond me? You obviously feel like arch. Why is that?

Old 06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Yes, it can, if he takes the witness stand. When he takes the stand he is put under oath, so he's swearing to tell the truth. That I think opens the door to impeachment, and they can bring out all sworn statements he has made about the case which were inconsistent or outright lies, like this one. He was under oath in the bail hearing.
His legal counsel must be exploding with rage right now. I suspect that we will soon hear about Zimmerman accepting some sort of plea deal. It would be insanity for an attorney to put a proven liar on the stand in his own defense in a murder trial.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The "right to self defense" will not be destroyed by this case. It's the law. Self defense laws are not going to be repealed because of this case. However, the wisdom of lying about self-defense may be brought into question by this case. The lesson here? If you're going to lie about something like this, DO NOT TALK TO ANYBODY WITHOUT YOUR ATTORNEY BEING PRESENT, and do not tell your attorney you're going to lie.

Zimmerman is destroying himself by lying about things. If someone has a reputation for being a liar, and it can be proved by statements the person has made on the record, it's going to be difficult for a jury to believe he's telling the truth about being in fear for his life. Zimmerman is turning out to be his own worst enemy.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
His legal counsel must be exploding with rage right now. I suspect that we will soon hear about Zimmerman accepting some sort of plea deal. It would be insanity for an attorney to put a proven liar on the stand in his own defense in a murder trial.
He doesn't have to go on the stand at all. The state's case can be demolished without him taking the stand, and the lawyer motion for a dismissal. The way the Hutaree case went in Michigan...

Old 06-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The "right to self defense" will not be destroyed by this case. It's the law. Self defense laws are not going to be repealed because of this case. However, the wisdom of lying about self-defense may be brought into question by this case. The lesson here? If you're going to lie about something like this, DO NOT TALK TO ANYBODY WITHOUT YOUR ATTORNEY BEING PRESENT, and do not tell your attorney you're going to lie.

Zimmerman is destroying himself by lying about things. If someone has a reputation for being a liar, and it can be proved by statements the person has made on the record, it's going to be difficult for a jury to believe he's telling the truth about being in fear for his life. Zimmerman is turning out to be his own worst enemy.
If a right is subject to the whims of lynch mobs it doesn't exist at all. Zimmerman didn't lie to the police.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Not sure the SA would offer a plea deal right now. And I think this does present a nightmare for the defense because putting Zimmerman on the stand ......well, you said it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies