Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 03:29 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
His legal counsel must be exploding with rage right now. I suspect that we will soon hear about Zimmerman accepting some sort of plea deal. It would be insanity for an attorney to put a proven liar on the stand in his own defense in a murder trial.
Legal counsel for both sides have been all over TV since this was announced. O'Mara (or whatever his name is) is not exploding with rage. He has very calmly said this will all be explained to George's benefit. Sweet Little Trayvon's family's attorney, however, is making a spectacle of himself, throwing around liberal goofy words like 'transparency', blah blah.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
When his current attorney took the case, wasn't it assumed at that time that he was likely working pro bono?

It seems to me that Zimmerman had legal representation lined up before anyone knew about the money.

So, the argument that disclosing the money would have left him without representation seems pretty naive.
If there were pro bono arrangements with O'Mara before possession of the money was revealed, then very quickly after it was known there was money, I'm sure the contract changed. I didn't assume any attorney was working pro bono on this case.

Zimmerman had talked to some attorneys, they were giving him advice, but the said there had been no contract signed because Zimmerman's location was unknown at that time for his safety. So Zimmerman got some free legal advice.

Bottom line is that if Zimmerman didn't want to pay for legal counsel, he would have been left defending himself, unless he could prove that he financially could not afford to hire legal counsel. The a public defender would have been assigned the case.

Also, if you owe money to the court, you have to pay that money FIRST before you are allowed to spend the money on legal counsel.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:33 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Oh, I thought Trayvon Martin was murdered...

Where is the controversy???
The "controversy" is that some C-D crackpots believe that a police assaulting, girlfriend beating rent-a-cop with an inferiority complex is innocent of killing an unarmed teenager even though he admitted that he killed the unarmed teenager.

We are now discussing the fact that the court has proven that the rent-a-cop with the inferiority complex willfully LIED to the court (and had his wife lie on the stand under oath) about his financials. Please try to keep up.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:35 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
Well it's good they have revoked his bond because he lied about having resources to pay for his defense.

Judge revokes George Zimmerman's bond, orders him to surrender

What an idiot.

This trial should be interesting.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Legal counsel for both sides have been all over TV since this was announced. O'Mara (or whatever his name is) is not exploding with rage. He has very calmly said this will all be explained to George's benefit. Sweet Little Trayvon's family's attorney, however, is making a spectacle of himself, throwing around liberal goofy words like 'transparency', blah blah.
And just how stupid would a defense attorney have to be to come out of a hearing like this one and act all emotional or enraged??? You do realize that good attorneys are also often good actors and very charming, don't you? And what else could he say, other than this will be explained to George's benefit? Have you never heard attorneys in high profile cases come out and say that their client can hardly wait for the trial so they can tell the truth and be exonerated?

"transparancy" is a goofy word to you? That's a "liberal goofy word" to you? Wonder why the Republicans are always throwing that liberal word around regarding President Obama?

Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The "controversy" is that some C-D crackpots believe that a police assaulting, girlfriend beating rent-a-cop with an inferiority complex is innocent of killing an unarmed teenager even though he admitted that he killed the unarmed teenager.

We are now discussing the fact that the court has proven that the rent-a-cop with the inferiority complex willfully LIED to the court (and had his wife lie on the stand under oath) about his financials. Please try to keep up.
Ok, that's not a controversy...that is left for the judicial process to break down. Like any other murder trial. So why don't we dig up all the details of every murder trial in the True Crime forum since "character flaws" qualify as "controversy"...

Trayvon martin was killed...George Zimmerman is being tried for murder which is a CRIME. True Crime forum!!!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:41 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The "right to self defense" will not be destroyed by this case. It's the law. Self defense laws are not going to be repealed because of this case. However, the wisdom of lying about self-defense may be brought into question by this case. The lesson here? If you're going to lie about something like this, DO NOT TALK TO ANYBODY WITHOUT YOUR ATTORNEY BEING PRESENT, and do not tell your attorney you're going to lie.

Zimmerman is destroying himself by lying about things. If someone has a reputation for being a liar, and it can be proved by statements the person has made on the record, it's going to be difficult for a jury to believe he's telling the truth about being in fear for his life. Zimmerman is turning out to be his own worst enemy.
I don't know that this event will be allowed into the trial. It's an event that happened AFTER the shooting, and doesn't alter the facts of that night, but could be very prejudicial to the jury. A good attorney will at least TRY to exclude this from the trial.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Maybe if Zimmermans defense was based solely on his statements maybe you'd have a point. Its not the physical evidence confirms his version of events as do witnesses. Also lying seems to be a strong word seems like a misunderstanding. If the prosecution is basing it's case on bail hearings like you and Crupp seem to be doing this case will be a slam dunk for Zim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Edward, I've always said you should definitely keep your job and career in finance going; law doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

How does lying ON THE RECORD, to the Court have an effect upon the guilt or innocence?

I guess if your defense is heavily dependent upon the jury finding you to be an honest person, so that they take your word at face value that you killed someone because you were in fear that you were going to die, it might not be a good thing to have you lying under oath to the Judge, on the record, along with other inconsistent statements you had made in the case. Edward, that's how it changes the guilt/innocence issues here.

CREDIBILITY, CREDIBILITY, CREDIBILITY has everything to do with guilt or innocence.

Nothing has changed from your perspective. Okay. You still think this man has a good innocence case? His attorney has apparently hired co-counsel to help him with the case; he has hired an attorney who has a lot of experience doing murder cases. Does that sound like an attorney who thinks he has a "slam dunk" at an immunity hearing? Why would he hire additional help when he could just make all that money himself?

Quote:
This is a murder thread, isn't it???? This needs to go in True Crime
It's also somewhat of a political controversy according to many who think this was a politically motivated charge by the special prosecutor.

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Ok, that's not a controversy...that is left for the judicial process to break down. Like any other murder trial. So why don't we dig up all the details of every murder trial in the True Crime forum since "character flaws" qualify as "controversy"...

Trayvon martin was killed...George Zimmerman is being tried for murder which is a CRIME. True Crime forum!!!
Maybe I don't understand what you're talking about, since you seem to be saying that lying in a court of law is not illegal.

Yes, this might be a True Crime subject but, since the topic has been part of the political forums since March, I don't understand why it should change now.

Does anyone know if having 2 passports is illegal? Apparently the court learned that Zimmerman was hiding a 2nd passport. He claims he thought he lost the first one, so he applied for another and then he found the one he lost. (ouch, my head is spinning) I thought it was against the law to possess 2 passports, but I am not a legal expert. Anyone know the answer?

This was on Channel 13 (I just watched it) which is a Tampa Bay Fox News station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies