Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
It's not November.

Besides, do we actually have to wait for someone to die before the republican party (and Romney himself) will denounce what he said?
Why should Romney or the Republican Party denounce what Ted Nugent said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
This issue is an important issue because Nugent, a person who is a spokesmen for the right, is inciting violence. Leading Republicans aren't speaking out about it. We know the right is full of gun-toting nut jobs. Hell, Nugent was speaking at the NRA when he said it. This is a huge issue. To deny it shows how inured we have become as a country. Nugent called the president a criminal. What do these gun toters do to perceived criminals?

Then the right, rather than be outraged by Nugent's remarks, make excuses by comparing him to Maher who used a vile word. A vile word isn't a threat or a call to arms.
I'm afraid that understanding the difference, and it isn't a subtle difference, requires a level of critical thought no longer enjoyed by some large portion of the electorate.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 PM

994 posts, read 725,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You'll do anything to defend your Republican poster boy, Ted, won't you? Are you REALLY going to try to do a class comparison between Ted Nugent and Bill Maher? Are you REALLY going to try to show me how classy Ted is? Please, just stop. Tons of older men date younger women. As a 48 year old women, this does not please me but, it's rampant. I'm just sure we can find some of your Republican icons that do the same thing that you probably have sitting on a pedestal. No one here is commenting on Maher's class factor, or his personal life. This is all about these two men's comments in the public media. Ted has many many "out there" comments over the years. They aren't meant to be satire, comedy, or even to expose someone's hyposcrisy. They are spewing anger. His latest comments border on a masked/veiled thread at a minimum. At worst, they rouse his gun-toting followers (some of which are probably nuts) to glorify in committing a crime if the election doesn't go their way.
Ted Nugent is a wacky goofball that nobody takes seriously. Now you all are trying to attribute a gravitas and respect to him that he never had so that you can implicate conservatives in general over his absurd statements.

Spokesman for the Republicans? Oh, please.

Quote:
Hardly comparable to what political satirists such as Maher (and others) say.
True. So why are you imputing false importance to Nugent then when you admit he's a fringe nutjob?

It's just like I said with Rush Limbaugh in a previous post - when he's the #1 radio personality in the nation then he's a buffoon and a comedian. When he's in trouble for making outrageous attacks he suddenly transforms into the unspoken leader of the Republican Party.

Quote:
I still can't understand why you feel the need to defend his comments. He has his rights to say whatever he wants, and law enforcement has their authority to investigate what they think may be inciteful, and they are.
I defend his comments because he's a nutjob doing what nutjobs do. On your end of the political spectrum you've got Roseanne Barr, another wacky extremist has-been performer who I saw on video advocating re-education camps and bringing back the guillotine in public executions of rich people. I don't go around calling her a spokesperson for the Democrats and I don't think there should be law enforcement investigations of her. She's a loon. You laugh at her and move on. Same with Nugent.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.-- Albert Einstein
"Before a man (person) speaks it is always safe to assume that he is a fool. After he speaks, it is seldom necessary to assume it. "
-- H. L. Mencken

Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
I suspect because it is played over and over again on Faux News.
Just so you'll know...Fox is spelled, well, FOX.

Goodness...public education is bad enough without people not learning the correct spelling of a simple word with 3 letters.

Sad.

And to add insult to the injury of a pitiful education, the two words, Fox and Faux, aren't even pronounced the same.

Sadder.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
"Before a man (person) speaks it is always safe to assume that he is a fool. After he speaks, it is seldom necessary to assume it. "
-- H. L. Mencken
The two most abundant things in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.-- Harlan Ellison

Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I'm afraid that understanding the difference, and it isn't a subtle difference, requires a level of critical thought no longer enjoyed by some large portion of the electorate.
Which has been made abundantly clear by some of the posters on this thread.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Ted Nugent is a wacky goofball that nobody takes seriously. Now you all are trying to attribute a gravitas and respect to him that he never had so that you can implicate conservatives in general over his absurd statements.

Spokesman for the Republicans? Oh, please.

True. So why are you imputing false importance to Nugent then when you admit he's a fringe nutjob?

It's just like I said with Rush Limbaugh in a previous post - when he's the #1 radio personality in the nation then he's a buffoon and a comedian. When he's in trouble for making outrageous attacks he suddenly transforms into the unspoken leader of the Republican Party.

I defend his comments because he's a nutjob doing what nutjobs do. On your end of the political spectrum you've got Roseanne Barr, another wacky extremist has-been performer who I saw on video advocating re-education camps and bringing back the guillotine in public executions of rich people. I don't go around calling her a spokesperson for the Democrats and I don't think there should be law enforcement investigations of her. She's a loon. You laugh at her and move on. Same with Nugent.
I would not have called him a spokesman for the Republican Party had not Romney embraced the man. I, personally, still don't call him a "spokesman"--others in the thread may have done that; however, when a political candidate cozys up to someone liked that, it is an endorsement. The best thing that Romney can do for himself, since there are a good number of swing voters, is to discuss that he doesn't approve of violent rhetoric. And the only reason I think he needs to do that is because of his earlier endorsement of Ted. Had that never happened, we could have just rolled our eyes and moved on. Because there are crazies on both sides and no candidate should be automatically tied to them. Unless they do it to themselves.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:19 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
It's not November.

Besides, do we actually have to wait for someone to die before the republican party (and Romney himself) will denounce what he said?
Why on Earth should Romney or the Republican Party denounce what Ted Nugent said?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,533,056 times
Quote:
And I'll bet kshe95girl has never had sex with underage boys either.

So, what's your point?
It was a response to her previous post, but I guess you didn't get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies