Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:09 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Are you really not aware that several Governors, present and former, have such Secret Service protection already?
No they don't. Governors do not receive protection from the United States Secret Service. Most, if not all governors receive protection from their respective states.

For example, Georgia State Patrol protects the Governor of Georgia and the Texas Ranger Division of the Texas Department of Public Safety Protects the Governor of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 03:19 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,483,743 times
New Tone: Union Rally Speaker Tells Scott Walker 'We Cut Your Head Off'

Why do the Democrats have Communists inciting violence at their rallies?

In addition to McJunkins' suggestion to behead Scott Walker, William McNary delivered the keynote speech. McNary is a longtime ally of the Communist Party U.S.A. and President Obama. McNary is the President of USAction, a self proclaimed “aggressive progressive” and a frequent speaker at left-wing Union events in Illinois and around the Midwest, including the Communist Party U.S.A.’s 2005 annual convention.

We didn’t ask for this fight, we didn’t pick this fight, but if it’s a fight you want, it’s a fight you gonna get. Knuckle up! Knuckle up! Knuckle up!” he shouted to the roaring crowd.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:37 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
No they don't. Governors do not receive protection from the United States Secret Service. Most, if not all governors receive protection from their respective states.

For example, Georgia State Patrol protects the Governor of Georgia and the Texas Ranger Division of the Texas Department of Public Safety Protects the Governor of Texas.
You should at least quote where you took those very words from.

Do governors have secret service protection

Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 PM

2,000 Democrats cheered and applauded when allies of Barack Obama - a Communist speaking guest and a Pastor - called for the killing of Governor Walker.

The large crowd of Liberals went wild and joined in when the Communist Keynote Speaker clinched his fists and started chanting "Knuckle Up, Knuckle Up, Knuckle Up, Knuckle Up".

These people are dangerous and need to be watched by law enforcement.

Here it is

Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Because metaphors are so hard to understand!!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM

Democrats get away with murder speech. Nobody cares.

Tuesday, over 2000 Democratic union protesters rolled into Springfield, IL, to protest Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, speaking at the Illinois Chamber of Commerce.

Once again they came to chant and sing, and chant and sing they did. It was a typical sea of matching t-shirts—a favored strategy of intimidation—along with their placards of “solidarity” and profane signs. They scattered four giant inflatable rats throughout the crowd, with a gargantuan cardboard cut out of Governor Scott Walker standing out, as well.

Presidents of the AFL-CIO, Michael T. Carrigan of Illinois and Phil Neuenfeldt of Wisconsin, got the crowd riled up, along with the help of Teresa Haley, President of the Springfield NAACP. But Pastor T. Ray McJunkins of the Union Baptist Church and President of the Faith Coalition for the Common Good and William McNary of USAction stole the show.
McJunkins delivered an energetic address he closed up metaphorically with the story of David and Goliath, ultimately declaring:

We are the Davids … and you may be a big giant, a big goliath, but David had 5 smooth stones that brought Goliath down … all he had was stones and a sling shot, and I just wonder out there among us, how many of you came with your sling today? … Load your slings up today when we leave here, putting a smooth stone of equal rights at the collective bargaining table and throw it at Goliath … And Goliath will come down, Scott Walker we send you back to Wisconsin as David did Goliath, we cut your head off and go back into town, singing a new song!

In addition to McJunkins' suggestion to behead Scott Walker, William McNary delivered the keynote speech. McNary is a longtime ally of the Communist Party U.S.A. and President Obama. McNary is the President of USAction, a self proclaimed “aggressive progressive” and a frequent speaker at left-wing Union events in Illinois and around the Midwest, including the Communist Party U.S.A.’s 2005 annual convention.

Why would a Church advocate for the demands of a Union? Does this even make sense?

From the Union Baptist Church.

We believe the Scriptures teach that civil government is of divine appointment, for the interest and good order of human society; and that magistrates are to be prayed for, conscientiously honored and obeyed; except only in things opposed to the will of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Union Baptist Church-Plan Of Salvation

So the unions against Scott Walker have found a Social Justice Church to shout "We cut your head off" in the name of the Lord.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:17 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Yooper. Your hypocrisy has been called out a number of times on this thread. You know what a metaphor is. You defended Nugent's use metaphor but now you want everyone get on the outrage train with you over someone else's use of a metaphor. Too late. You blew it. Now please have some dignity, would you?!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:12 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Agreed....but when your side....can call people C7NTS......and say ohhhh he's not a political figure, he's an comedian.....and look how he was defended....

Sorry, but again, the left has it's rules and they are completely different for the right....
You won't see me defending such comments. But yes, hypocrisy does exist on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Nugent didn't level any threat of physical violence. Even the Secret Service agreed he did not.
Even if he himself didn't mean to threaten the president, it's still inflammatory. You don't think some maniac might take that seriously? You just don't say stuff like that. Based on the language of so many conservatives the past several years, it's a wonder there haven't been attempts on Obama's life already.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Yooper. Your hypocrisy has been called out a number of times on this thread. You know what a metaphor is. You defended Nugent's use metaphor but now you want everyone get on the outrage train with you over someone else's use of a metaphor. Too late. You blew it. Now please have some dignity, would you?!
Are you kidding me?

The Left gets a pass and the Right doesn't?

And now it's time for me not to call out Democrats when they use violent language? Please Yooperkat, don't say anything about this.

Liberals are not going to get off that easy.

You know as well as I do that if no one hears about it - the Left using violent speech - then it doesn't exist.

For three days straight you Progressives ripped Ted Nugent a new one because you claimed his words threatened your President's life.

See Democrats using language that they tell everyone else not to use.

The public unions that are trying to chop off Scott Walker's head will not stop their intimidating speech until they lose Wisconsin's recall election May 8th.

Do you think that American citizens should have to be threatened by these thugs? Do you think that it's good for people to be scared for their lives?

If a union says something like "We Cut Your Head Off" should we all say that that's acceptable because it's just something Democrats say and that's OK?

Especially since Democrats want to stop Bullying?

The media will let you off the hook, your conscience will let you off the hook, but Republicans won't.

Last edited by Yooperkat; 04-22-2012 at 10:27 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
My point exactly. Go back and read the Democrat's reactions to Ted's statements over the last week. That's what they were saying. Also, the rally had over 2,000 Democrats in attendance, cheering the figurative head of Scott Walker on a plate. The union got what they paid for. A Pastor spewing "We Cut Your Head Off" with the intention of whipping the Democratic audience into a violent frenzy. And a Communist Keynote Speaker shouting "Knuckle Up, Knuckle Up, Knuckle Up, Knuckle Up" with clenched fists.

See for yourself what Democrats are saying - there is even a YouTube video at this link:

I'm not arguing from "their" point of view. I'm merely pointing out the fallacies in the logic no matter who uses that same fallacious logic. Just because the Democrats used it referring to Nugent's statements doesn't mean that if you use it that it makes it any less ridiculous.

Quote:
What conspiracy theory? There won't be a debate because it won't be reported by the mainstream media. Which is my point. It should get the same attention as the Nugent story, but it is being intentionally ignored. Isn't what the union's speakers said equally suggestive of violence? Democrats always say that "words matter".
It was a comparative analogy. Conspiracy theorists use that "mainstream media" argument all the time because their opinions are bolstered by less than reputable journalistic sources who happen to feed into their preconceived mantras. The same goes for pseudoscientists and other fringe groups.

People tend not to trust media and news that disagrees with their opinions. They typically seek out whatever news or media organization that aligns itself closely with the individual's pre-conceived ideals. They then bolster that opinion with "It's not mainstream but it's 'insider information.'" This gives the individual a feeling of holding a certain amount of power over others because they're "privy" to information that others aren't and they simply write off any dispute with "This is what the mainstream media doesn't want you to know."

To be sure, there are biases with the "mainstream media" but it's not like the heads of all these news organizations are sitting in Dr. Claw's secret lair guarded by soldiers from M.A.D. as they come up with ways to align people with a single thought process.

Most news agencies in this day and age have done a tremendous amount of statistical and probabilistic marketing research. They've got the numbers down to a science to know that snazzy headlines and non-controversial issues being turned into controversy adds a little drama to the boredom of daily life. That is what keeps listeners tuned in through the commercial breaks and that's where these news agencies get their money.

Let's take a less volatile scenario as an example. I don't know what career field you're in but I'm in aviation. Every time an aviation-related incident happens in the world, the following takes place:

1. They show the disaster or incident footage over and over.

2. They interview a pilot - probably one of the worst people to interview as they actually don't know a whole lot about the internal workings of airplanes. It's likened to interviewing a soccer mom who drives an SUV about the mechanical failure of a car she saw on the highway. Yeah, she knows how to drive it but chances are she couldn't tell you a thing about how the engine operates. My apologies to those mechanically inclined soccer moms everywhere.

3. They then bring up the entirety of aviation safety, the likelihood of this happening to you, and they usually show a few other disasters that are linked on the most remote basis.

4. A lot of the information is so simplified that it borders on falsity and many times there are actually genuine mistakes that I frequently catch whenever an aviation story takes place. This is not because the news is intentionally trying to be misleading but the reported just isn't astute enough to know the difference and he's probably repeating something from an "aviation expert" who could simply be some guy they pulled out of the airport employee's parking lot and who happens to load bags on airplanes.

But the goal has been met. Drama has been infused into the situation - such as the news story I saw the other day about an engine being shut down on takeoff after a bird strike. Believe it or not, that's a VERY common occurrence in the grand scheme of things. The bottom line is it attracts viewership. It's not about intentional misinformation or sticking to an agenda other than gaining viewers. If controversial issues about members of political parties drives viewership then that's the way the news will be presented. They're merely mimicking the stupidity of what the American people want. They're not trying to persuade you to stop wearing white after Labor Day.

Quote:
Aha, same as with Nugent's statements. But the Democrats took it as a threat on Obama's life. Enough so that they sent the Secret Service to investigate.
The Democrats do not just call up the Secret Service and say "Go check this out." The Secret Service acts independently of the political parties to ensure the safety of anybody they're charged with protecting. I'm quite certain the Secret Service was investigating and aware of Nugent's statements before the vast majority of any Democrats were. It's not just one of those things where all the members of Congress convene on a vote to investigate the statements of individuals.

I didn't take Nugent's statements seriously but I'm pretty sure any words that can be construed threatening towards an acting President are meant to be taken seriously until otherwise proven innocent in nature.

Speaking of aviation... I was once in the cockpit of an airplane just before it was getting ready to leave and I was kind of in a dispute with the pilot about whether what he was experiencing was a problem. He demanded it was and I demanded it wasn't. Once we clarified everything, I left a present for him in the form of a gaseous cloud of fart before exiting and shutting the cockpit door. On the way out of security the next morning, I was telling a coworker about the incident and not realizing where I was at said, "Man, I left a BOMB in the cockpit last night." I meant to say it along the lines of a "fartbomb" not an actual bomb but I spent many embarrassing hours clarifying that to corporate security and the TSA. In other words, my statements had to be taken seriously until they found out I merely meant fart and even then they were not very happy at all.

Same deal with the Nugent situation. Likelihood of it being a threatening statement? Probably nil. Should it be investigated anyway? Yep. What do you think the news is going to make of it?

Quote:
But the Democrats didn't have any problem getting the Nugent story reported because the media wants to push some sort of agenda.
Yeah. An agenda to promote drama. Seriously... Do you think that some independent voter out there was all set to vote for Romney in November and then decided to switch his vote to Obama after the Nugent controversy? Or do you think it's more likely the news media hooked a few viewers for a couple of hours with the fascinating idea that a popular rockstar and spokesperson for the NRA could be interrogated by the Secret Service?

Quote:
Isn't this more of a situation where a public thug union (that organized this event) cherry picked a Social Justice Pastor to say things that would get people angry? Things that people on the Right aren't supposed to say.
To be honest with you, I think you're right in that the union hired someone who could incite rancor within a group of people. However, and I mean this with as little disrespect as possible... The Right typically does have more individuals and groups with a propensity towards violence than the Left. I'm not saying the Left is free of its crazies and is incapable of violence but with anti-government militia's, the KKK, and other groups just dying for an excuse to pull a trigger, it does seem more threatening when the Right comes out with these sorts of comments. I'm willing to bet, by the way, that Jared Loughner is not a Democrat.

Quote:
I didn't expect this to make the news. But, there is a lot riding on the Scott Walker recall. Democrats made a big deal out of Ted Nugent's comments.

Republicans are going to see how the Unions and Democrats are threatening, even if metaphorically, to chop Walker's head off.
I don't like either group making a big deal out of comments such as these. It does absolutely nothing to further progress and, in the end, one group is going to feel like they were "punished" more than the other group for its statements. It's all a bunch of rhetoric and cheap-shots that only further entrenches the base of each party while alienating the individuals in the middle.

It's all drama-building exercises from either perspective and I find that to be stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies