Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,947,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
One has to be 25 to be a member of the US House of Reps. The oldest Millennials are now 34. People born in 1987 are turning 25 this year. People born in 1994 are old enough to vote. Now I'll grant you, at 25, most people are still busy getting established in a career, so unless their intended career is politics, they're not out running for elective office, especially not federal office. I did come across something yesterday that said most male politicians start running for public office in their late 20s (women later), so certainly there should be some Millennial city council people, county comissioners and the like out there by now. Also, there are the generation Xers between the BBs and the Mills, the oldest of which are now 47, well into their political careers.

I didn't watch the NATO protests except on the local news. I haven't been on any NATO threads to see who is complaining; I'd be willing to bet it's a lot of Gen Xers. In any event, we Boomers saw, and in some cases participated in, other protests. My college had some weekly protest, on Wednesdays, I believe, against the Viet Nam war. It was all pretty low-key at my college, the University of Pittsburgh, but things got pretty wild up at Penn State where my brother was. FWIW.
Vietnam was the big mobilizer for the Boomer generation and it was a global mobilization; not just in the USA.

But, it was much more than just Vietnam. There was a unified revolt against the post-war settlement and the social straightjacket of the 1950s which heralded important social reforms such as equal rights, an expansion of educational opportunity and important civil reforms.

In many senses, the Boomers remade the world that they wanted to live in through their own efforts.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,489,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
or maybe some Libertarians
Yeah, Libertarians will agree with the smoking pot part.

The rest of the list is almost all fund this and fund that.

Tax and Regulate.

Libertarians won't appreciate that.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,489,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Vietnam was the big mobilizer for the Boomer generation and it was a global mobilization; not just in the USA.

But, it was much more than just Vietnam. There was a unified revolt against the post-war settlement and the social straightjacket of the 1950s which heralded important social reforms such as equal rights, an expansion of educational opportunity and important civil reforms.

In many senses, the Boomers remade the world that they wanted to live in through their own efforts.
All the occupiers want is money.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,947,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
From what I saw the NATO protesters knew diddly-squat about protesting. They needed a few Boomers as advisers on organizing, tactics and media focus.
Yeah ... where was the tear gas, the water canon, the charges and counter-charges, the barricades.

Frickin amateurs if you ask me They can't even do protest properly.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,170 times
Default Boomers Vs Millenials?

First of all, I agree that comparisons intended to nullify either side are pointless. It 's only useful to compare the eras as social commentary, but as far as placing blame on"boomers" for the state of economy, or "millenials" for being whiners...useless and a cop out! It's all in what you choose to do with your circumstances. Yes, I was born at the very end of the so called "boomer" generations. I had siblings born an entire decade or two before me! Of course I noted the changes in society when I came of age. I would point out that there were entitled childhoods for both generations. I am a product of that and have taken longer to "grow up" I am a female, but I have worked and supported myself since realizing that, "No Virginia, there is no silver platter." I have not sat around collecting unemployment and welfare. There are those I know who will not work when they can't find something "In their field" I have no immediate family left. I don't use relationships as supplementary income. I'm going back to school this fall by applying to scholarships, since I am denied many of the financial aid sources I have worked and paid into over the years. My peers are milllenials, so I will not snub them. I am proud to be in good health and grateful to work beside them. I understand many of them better than their own "boomer" parents! It's okay to analyze the social condition, but what will you do with that knowledge? Use it to plan a strategy, then get off your ass to claim your goals!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,335,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
No. Our generation is hopefully beyond blind partisan politics. Many of us are fed up with BOTH parties.
Where have I heard this -- and all that other stuff you posted -- before?
Are you living in a vacuum or what?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,147,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
You've learned from failed policies?

Then why does your list look the way it does?

It's the perfect recipe for increasing deficits and debt at an alarming rate.

How does your list differ from that of the Democratic Party?

The similarities are staggering.

Anyone want to explain to this guy why this is unsustainable?

And how it is nearly a carbon copy of the platform of the Democratic Party?
How about you. Pick an issue and go for it. It'll be a public debate.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
You failed to include free housing, free food, a car in every garage, and a chicken in every pot........
Way to deflect.

These comments have nothing to do with the debate.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 AM

59,315 posts, read 27,477,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
All the occupiers want is money.
Without having to work for it.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Where have I heard this -- and all that other stuff you posted -- before?
Are you living in a vacuum or what?
Well if you believe it to be the values of the Democratic party then maybe you need to realize that the Republican platform is either going to have to change, or lose elections in the future. The younger generation does NOT stand for the platform of the Republican party by large.

And are you seriously beating the Republican drum??! I'd be equally critical of someone beating the Democrat drum.

If you still identify and base your beliefs on a political party than I'd rather not debate with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies