Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times

Advertisements

An article on the projected cost of college in 18 years.

News Headlines

From the article

"Campus Consultants Founder and President Kal Chany figured out what college will likely cost by 2030 based on inflation rates. He wrote the book “Paying for College Without Going Broke.”

The findings? In 18 years, the average sticker price for a private university could be as much as $130,428 a year (See chart.) The situation isn’t much better if you go the public route. Sending your child to a state university could set you back at least $41,228 a year."

Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
An article on the projected cost of college in 18 years.

News Headlines

From the article

"Campus Consultants Founder and President Kal Chany figured out what college will likely cost by 2030 based on inflation rates. He wrote the book “Paying for College Without Going Broke.”

The findings? In 18 years, the average sticker price for a private university could be as much as $130,428 a year (See chart.) The situation isn’t much better if you go the public route. Sending your child to a state university could set you back at least $41,228 a year."
Key phrase: based on inflation rates. Presumably wages would be subject to the same inflation rates. What is your point?

Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Key phrase: based on inflation rates. Presumably wages would be subject to the same inflation rates. What is your point?
I think that article is a bit flawed in assuming tuition rates go up based on inflation rates. Tuition increases outpaced the consumer price inflation.

Price Controls: Obama
Another calculation from InflationData.com tracks inflation in consumer prices from 1985 to 2011 as 115.06 percent vs. the college education inflation rate in that period as 498.31 percent.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:24 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
What is your point?
I thought the point was yet another graph to show the Boomers how hard it is today because we're so old and clueless.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Wage increases have not kept up with inflation rates. It would mean that college would only be affordable to those who are really wealthy, or who have earned scholarships. I don't know how that scenario would affect the number of scholarships given.

My point is that something should be done so that my kids (your grandkids) can afford to educate themselves. I care about the future of this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I thought the point was yet another graph to show the Boomers how hard it is today because we're so old and clueless.
I'm not going to be in college in 18 years. I did my 4 and took what I learned and made the best with it. The article was to show how some prices are spiraling out of control.

A better term (you all aren't clueless) would be apathetic.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Wage increases have not kept up with inflation rates. It would mean that college would only be affordable to those who are really wealthy, or who have earned scholarships. I don't know how that scenario would affect the number of scholarships given.

My point is that something should be done so that my kids (your grandkids) can afford to educate themselves. I care about the future of this country.

I'm not going to be in college in 18 years. I did my 4 and took what I learned and made the best with it. The article was to show how some prices are spiraling out of control.

A better term (you all aren't clueless) would be apathetic.
Oh, stop with the sanctimony.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:02 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I admit I am clueless about some things; for instance, why does anyone listen to Nickelback?

Quote:
My point is that something should be done so that my kids (your grandkids) can afford to educate themselves.
What do you have in mind? And how much will it cost the taxpayer?

Quote:
I care about the future of this country.
Good to know. Join the crowd.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
For the most part, the 60s weren't all that great. It wasn't until the late 60s that things got rockin' and rollin'. The early 60s were just a repeat of the 50s: Cold War, conformity, bubble gum music, etc.
Today's pop is bubble gum.. the 60's had many kinds of great music.. soul, southern rock, motown, some do wop and rock and roll a great mix .

I never thrilled over the beatles... some of their songs were odd sounding .

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/n...=1961&chart=us

Old 05-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Today's pop is bubble gum.. the 60's had many kinds of great music.. soul, southern rock, motown, some do wop and rock and roll a great mix .

I never thrilled over the beatles... some of their songs were odd sounding .

US Number One Songs - 1961
That was all pretty much the later 60s. I don't listen to today's pop except when my kids force me to, e.g. in their cars.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

What do you have in mind? And how much will it cost the taxpayer?
We'd have to make some cuts somewhere to subsidize education so there's not a burden on the taxpayer. I think that an educated population is better than a non-educated population though. So something has to be done to make it more affordable.

We can't simply let prices spiral out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies