Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Right. Because two people are the same as a duck and a cat.

Idiot.
yeah and the sanctity of marriage that conservative hetros hold so dear???
kim k and brittney spears and countless other people who enter in to it just to divorce months later should show conservatives that "marriage" is what the two individuals make of it, not if they are hetro or not. there are thousands and thousand of homosexual couples who have been together longer and more committed to each other then countless hetros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:26 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
That's the problem gentlearts, they want that word. Never mind the fact that such a union will produce two husbands which is also patently absurd.
I'm learning that what you say is true. Gay marriage proponents say it's about rights, but when you bring up the possibility of civil unions having these same rights, their argument changes. It becomes "why do straight people get to own the word marriage and decide who can use it?".

So, for the most part, I agree that it's about that word..... not necessarily equal rights.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I know that there are a couple of loose lines in the bible that refer to men laying with men but why does that translate into gays not marrying? Why do you believe in those 2-3 sentences literally? Why do you ignore your religion in regards to things like women not wearing pants, no tattoos, wearing mixed fabric clothes, stoning unruly kids etc..? It's makes absolutely no sense.
Why does anybody oppose gay marriage? Another dumb attempt. Get a life and keep out the bushes

Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
You see what you want to see. I've been part of the church my whole life and was never once preached any of those things.

In fact, I've only encountered the opposite. Kindness, love, and acceptance. Of course some Churches and Christians are that way, but laying down a blanket statement like that exposes your close-minded and bigoted attitude.
Hammer specifically mentioned a subset of Christianity: Fundamentalism. Which was invented based on fear and ignorance.

There are plenty of wonderful Christians in the world, but generally the more conservative and extreme one gets, the more their version of Christianity becomes offensive and dangerous.

Fundamentalism is inherently dangerous and oppressive.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I can't imagine why that is a concern. Any church can marry people in any way it sees fit or not marry people in any way it sees fit. Nothing in the gay marriage debate aims to, will, or can change that. Civil marriage and religious marriage are separate, unrelated things (see the separation of church and state enshrined in the 1st Amendment of our Constitution).

The fight for gay marriage is simply about gay people being treated equally under the civil, secular laws of the US and its several states (as required by the Constitution).
A priest, minister or other religious leader performs a marriage ceremony and signs the contract making it legally recognized. Refusing to perform this ceremony would put the church in violation of someone's rights, unless exceptions are put into place protecting the church's rights. The other option would be to revoke the church's ability to perform legally binding marriages.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Because Jesus did not revoke the Ten Commandments.
Actually, he revoked 5 of them. Only 5 exist in the New Testament.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
an agenda? equal rights is not an agenda, equal rights for ALL is what america is about. most of the public is now for gay rights. using animals as an example is childish and shows a true lack of understanding of the issue.

30 states voted NO!! but you claim most of the public is now for gay rights.

I have a very difficult time accepting that deliberate LIE!!

HEREIN: Lies the problem (no pun intended) you keep denying the TRUTH!!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm learning that what you say is true. Gay marriage proponents say it's about rights, but when you bring up the possibility of civil unions having these same rights, their argument changes. It becomes "why do straight people get to own the word marriage and decide who can use it?".

So, for the most part, I agree that it's about that word..... not necessarily equal rights.
Because "separate but equal" was proven to be unconstitutional already.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Ten different threads on this forum about "gays"

Keep pushing your perverted agenda - It will never change the public's perception. WAKE UP!

I want my pet duck to marry my cat! why can't they be recognized in society and have the same rights people do.

The FIGHT for gay marriage is simply about accepting perverted lifestyle choices.
No, it's about equal treatment under the law and equal rights.

I'd like for my good friend Ben to be able to sponsor his husband Lukas for citizenship. If I marry a military member, I'd like for him to get increased family housing pay and I'd like the ability to shop at the base commissary and PX. I'd like to be exempted from estate taxes when my husband dies. And on and on and on.....

You know - rights given to married heterosexual couples that are denied to gay (even legally married gay) couples.

I don't need your acceptance of my "lifestyle." Nor will you ever receive my acceptance of your lifestyle of hate - please note however that I will not try and take away your rights and see you treated unequally under the law because of it. I'd appreciate the same courtesy from you if you don't mind.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I can't agree with this statement at all. If you believe in the unequal treatment of me simply because I'm gay (especially under our civil, secular laws), then you are a homophobe and an anti-gay bigot. I don't care if your position is religiously informed, or if you perhaps feels a bit guilty or torn about that position, or if despite that position you believe yourself to be a good person who treats others fairly. It's a homophobic, bigoted position borne out of fear and hatred of gay people.

Put the shoe on the other foot. If I said "As a ___________, I strongly oppose allowing Christians getting married and therefore I support laws banning them from doing so," I would be labeled a Christianophobe and a bigot - and rightfully so. Imagine if I then took that position even further (like many conservative, fundamentalist anti-gay Christians do): "Furthermore, I think it should be illegal for Christians to adopt children, serve in the military, or even have sex with one another, etc, etc, etc."
This is why the government should get out of the business of performing marriages. Like it or not, this presents a HUGE moral/religious dilemma for many Christians. I am one of them. I, do not agree with homosexuality and/or gay marriage. However, I support it on a human rights level. This has been a HARD thing for me to reconcile. Mainly because as a Christian, if you associate with sinners, you are also guilty of that sin.

So, while I disagree with homosexuality/gay marriage, I realize that, with the way the "marriage system" is handled in the US, sticking to my personal beliefs will result in the denial of rights to others. I have reached a point when I've realized that this is just not okay. It still creates a huge spiritual dilemma for me...but that's my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies