Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:04 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times

Advertisements

I think there are a lot of closeted gays. No idea why they don't just come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
I think there are a lot more bisexual people out there than anyone can imagine.

Bisexuality is a complicated thing, much more so than being just gay or straight. You see, there are degrees of bisexuality. A bisexual person could be 90% heterosexual and 10 % homosexual, or they can be 25% heterosexual and 75% homosexual. Interest in bisexuality can be recognized later in life - in other words a person could come to realization they have bisexual tendencies in middle age or even as a senior regardless of the fact they lived most of their adult lives as either straight or gay and involved in either straight or gay long-term relationships.

One must acknowledge that there is indeed bisexuality: some people are attracted to both sexes. There were many famous people who had physical relations and romantic involvements with both opposite-gender and same-gender partners. I'm not talking about someone who has an isolated homosexual experience because of unusual circumstances such as being in prison or the military; some people out of their free will and desire and seek out a romantic partner and a person of either sex is a candidate.

Some of the famous people include Casanova, who famously wrote about his hundreds of conquests with woman but admitted to some homosexual experience as well; Marlene Dietrich the actress; Greta Garbo another actress; Richard Burton, the husband of Elizabeth Taylor admitted to having had gay experiences in his younger days; Eleanor Roosevelt the First Lady; Danny Kaye; etc.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think there are a lot more bisexual people out there than anyone can imagine.

Bisexuality is a complicated thing, much more so than being just gay or straight. You see, there are degrees of bisexuality. A bisexual person could be 90% heterosexual and 10 % homosexual, or they can be 25% heterosexual and 75% homosexual. Interest in bisexuality can be recognized later in life - in other words a person could come to realization they have bisexual tendencies in middle age or even as a senior regardless of the fact they lived most of their adult lives as either straight or gay and involved in either straight or gay long-term relationships.
Clark... There is a fairly well known study from the 1950's called the Kinsey Scale that describes what you've described.

Kinsey scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The Kinsey scale, also called the Heterosexual-Homosexual Rating Scale,[1] attempts to describe a person's sexual history or episodes of his or her sexual activity at a given time. It uses a scale from 0, meaning exclusively heterosexual, to 6, meaning exclusively homosexual.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:21 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Clark... There is a fairly well known study from the 1950's called the Kinsey Scale that describes what you've described.

Kinsey scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks Rakin, I keep forgetting the name of the scale. It does seem to more accurately describe human sexuality and weighted preference. Im sure there are some surveys with respect to the general population and the Kinsey scale.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i'm bisexual..there is said it.. i'm a girl though, however the best thing about being bisexual was i got to choose, and i have decided to only choose men from now on..however i always tell the people i date,in case they have a problem with it, but i'm not shouting it to like my mom or strangers.
Your case is closest to the women I have dated who have identified as being Bisexual. The. I've only dated one woman who equally dated men and women and she was very male like(agressive)in her attraction for both men and women. The norm in my case can best be described as Straight women who have experimented. I would be more specific if this wasn't a pg13 format.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:35 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Why don't more Bi-sexual people come out?

I am certain that a lot of people don't, as you say, "come out," because there are a lot more important things in their lives than to prove one thing or another about things relating to sex, or religion, or to politics, or whatever....

Maybe I am very old fashioned, or perhaps don't understand why one's sexuality has to be sort of taking place out in the open for all to see? What would such a thing prove one way or another?

Please forgive my ignorance if I come across that way.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You hear about coming out all the time in the Gay community and it is celibrated, but When a Bisexual comes out which isn't often they are looked at with disdain and suspician by many. Bi-sexual men are ostrocized by women as you see on this board?

In real life I know quite a few women that have had open Bisexual experiences or even indentify themselves as "Bi" but you rarely see anyone identifying themselves here as such?

This applies to Gays and Straight, as neither group seem 100% comfortable with Bi-sexual People.
It's easier for bisexual people to appear straight. A closeted gay person might get questions like "Why aren't you with anyone?" If a gay man hides attraction to people of the same sex, he has no options except deception or celibacy. A bisexual man can date women without announcing his attraction to men.

I'm only out to those who need to know.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 PM

85 posts, read 177,118 times
I saw the below quote recently and think it may have merit. Could it be a preoccupation to label others? I suppose everyone has to be somewhere doing something. What I wonder is why bother to come out? I think most people are already aware if a person swings both ways.

They say if you’re bisexual, you’re confused. If you’re gay, it’s a sin. If you’re skinny you’re on drugs. If you’re fat, you look nasty. If you’re dressed up, you’re conceited. If you dress for comfort you’re a slob. If you speak you’re mind, you’re a bit*h. If you don’t say anything, you’re rude. If you are sweet to strangers, you are fake. If you cry, you’re a drama queen. If you have male friends, you’re a who*e. If you have female friends, you’re a player. You can’t do anything without being labelled.. We live in a society where people can’t survive if they’re not judging the next person… If you’re proud of who you are & don’t give two $hits what anyone’s got to say about you or to you then your amazing, stay strong.

I do have some homophobic friends that I make a point of poking fun at. There, I labeled someone.

Last edited by Worldkiss; 05-12-2012 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 09:18 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I'm pansexual. It's like being bi, but with even more options.

).
Huh

Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Why don't more Bi-sexual people come out?

I am certain that a lot of people don't, as you say, "come out," because there are a lot more important things in their lives than to prove one thing or another about things relating to sex, or religion, or to politics, or whatever....

Maybe I am very old fashioned, or perhaps don't understand why one's sexuality has to be sort of taking place out in the open for all to see? What would such a thing prove one way or another?

Please forgive my ignorance if I come across that way.
Nothing to be forgivin for. I buried talking openly about sex for two thirds of my life. Im in a dr ruth phase where I am more open to discusing it. Its not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies