Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:31 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
So, three pages in and you still haven't proved your assertion that Biden's statement is incorrect. How are we more at risk from terrorism than from the health risks associated with poor diet and environmental pollutants? If the goal is to reduce deaths than why not be proactive about reducing the number of deaths caused by things we can actually control?
Hey look at it this way if we lose the war you wont have to worry about what you eat cause you'll be dead, or are you planning to convert when they threaten to cut your head off?

Look I think we should try to eat healthier food, but are you going to make people change their diets? Just worry about what you eat. Terrorism is something we should all be worried about together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
No such thing as clean coal, all coal has pollutants. Some coal is cleaner than others, but cleaner does not equal clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
First, there is clean coal, leftists just like to pretend that there isn't because if they can get rid of coal they can make more money. They do anything that benefits them.

Second, that's not elitist it's common sense. If your parents didn't like breathing that stuff in they shouldn't have moved there. My whole family, immediate and extended, are all part of the working class. We take what we can get and don't complain about it. That's what the working class does.

Last but not least, go back and read the paragraph again. I specifically said that we shouldn't live our lives in fear, we should live our lives ready to kick ass. This is not just about 9/11, do you honestly think that there has been no acts of terror since then? How naive. I, unlike you, have zero faith in this government. ZERO! I wouldn't trust these people with anything. They are limiting the military. How is that in our best interest? BTW it's not just the Middle East that we need to worry about.

Crazy regulations.
What regulations has Obama created that " The Obama administration has made it more difficult for small farmers/organic farmers/backyard farmers to sell their goodsat farmer's markets or just to neighbors using co-ops."

We buy from several local growers, no problem. In fact I make a little maple syrup ever year, selling about half of it, again, no problem.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:14 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
No such thing as clean coal, all coal has pollutants. Some coal is cleaner than others, but cleaner does not equal clean.

What regulations has Obama created that " The Obama administration has made it more difficult for small farmers/organic farmers/backyard farmers to sell their goodsat farmer's markets or just to neighbors using co-ops."

We buy from several local growers, no problem. In fact I make a little maple syrup ever year, selling about half of it, again, no problem.
Senate bill 510 would prohibit you from giving excess fruit, tomatoes and such to your neighbors how stupid...and why would the Great One have a former exec from that evil Monsanto Corp. to be his food czar ?

What better why to implement [another czar] John Holdrens plan to alter or sterilize the sheeple for population control.

Now the ones he surrounds himself with takes shape....a bunch of Mao loving Commies...times are a changing....

Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Senate bill 510 would prohibit you from giving excess fruit, tomatoes and such to your neighbors how stupid...and why would the Great One have a former exec from that evil Monsanto Corp. to be his food czar ?
First off, that bill died over two years ago. Old news is old

Quote:
What better why to implement [another czar] John Holdrens plan to alter or sterilize the sheeple for population control.

Now the ones he surrounds himself with takes shape....a bunch of Mao loving Commies...times are a changing....
Secondly, whaaaaa?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So says our vice president..........

“Air that has too much coal in it, corn syrup next, then a terrorist attack. But that is not in any way to diminish the fact that a terrorist attack is real. It is not an existential threat to bringing down the country, but it does have the capacity, still, to kill thousands of people. But hundreds of thousands of people die and their lives are shortened because of coal plants, coal-fired plants and because of corn syrup.â€

I think the greatest threat this country is facing is bumbling idiot communists sitting in DC.
He is simply stating, there are bigger fish to fry other then focusing on terrorism.

I agree with him on this point. Coal is a part of our future, for the next decade or so at least. We need to make it cleaner, and that will happen through regulation. Corn I'm guessing is focusing on obesity, but that shouldn't be an issue for the federal government, it should be the individual.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
We've been avoiding HFCS for quite a while. For the most part, if it's in the ingredients data, it goes back on the shelf. However, we are now studying the preponderance of sucralose/aspartame products and trying to determine if it has adverse health effects as well. I wouldn't call us "health food nazis," but we definitely try to pay attention without going too overboard.

The bottom line is that I don't need government to regulate what we eat. Our family does just fine on our own.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Quote:

Well listening to its Bushs fault is getting old too....

Secondly, whaaaaa?
Evidently you don't listen closely to what Obama says or the people he surrounded himself with ? Better read up on his czars and what they believe in....

Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Obesity is killing a lot more Americans than Angry Muslims.
The freedom to choose isn't (even remotely) the same as being murdered for some absurd cause.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
We've been avoiding HFCS for quite a while. For the most part, if it's in the ingredients data, it goes back on the shelf. However, we are now studying the preponderance of sucralose/aspartame products and trying to determine if it has adverse health effects as well. I wouldn't call us "health food nazis," but we definitely try to pay attention without going too overboard.

The bottom line is that I don't need government to regulate what we eat. Our family does just fine on our own.
The PROBLEM is most folks don't read labels and they buy too much processed foods. The way I see it they should NOT be putting bad stuff in the food chain. Companies have proven they cannot self regulate, cardboard in dogfood????

Processed food is not good, we only shop the perimeter and avoid the center shelves in a super market

Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,988 times
Quote:
Yeah you're right that bill did die, but HR2751 bill passed. It is the same bill just a different number, and I mean that very literally, the same bill! It even has the same name, the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act.

Here the FDA page with some info: The New FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)

Here is the S510 bill: Full Text of S. 510 (111th): FDA Food Safety Modernization Act - GovTrack.us

Here is the HR2751 bill: Full Text of H.R. 2751 (111th): FDA Food Safety Modernization Act - GovTrack.us
They are almost identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The PROBLEM is most folks don't read labels and they buy too much processed foods. The way I see it they should NOT be putting bad stuff in the food chain. Companies have proven they cannot self regulate, cardboard in dogfood????

Processed food is not good, we only shop the perimeter and avoid the center shelves in a super market
But who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't eat? And who are you to tell a company what they can and can't put in their food, as long as it's legal? Let people make their own decisions for Gods sake! I know control freaks will have a problem with it, but it wouldn't kill some of you to let loose the reins a little. BTW most responsible people read the labels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies