Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,230,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Well what about Radon gas odorless colorless natural occurring causes lung cancer and other problems...can't wait to hear you anti-coal greenies crying because its too hot with no cheap reliable electricity to run your A/C ....Talk about respiratory distress and pushing grandma over a cliff.
Funny you should mention that because the Radon studies and what is a "safe" limit is from studies on underground miners. They would be the 10 guys falling off a 20 foot ladder since they are exposed to so much of it, even acquiring the base data is hard for many of these studies. If I recall they excluded people that smoked or accounted for them in some way but that doesn't mean all the remaining cases of lung cancer were caused by the Radon.

The bottom line is these estimates are dubious at best, it may be the best way available but it doesn't mean they are accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,067,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
NOT a fair solution for the blind, reading them labels. We all should be confident that we are getting safe, wholesome food without jumping thru hoops. If you really, REALLY want that garbage you're defending so hard I'm sure the can provide unhealthy choices in a section in the back with the expired food and moldy lettuce.
I'm not defending anything just pointing out YOU choose what to put into your body nobody else. If you can't handle that simple task I'm surprised you've lasted on the earth this long.

How many fat blind people are running around? Not many. They die from running into stuff and concussion syndrome first.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,011,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I'm not defending anything just pointing out YOU choose what to put into your body nobody else. If you can't handle that simple task I'm surprised you've lasted on the earth this long.

How many fat blind people are running around? Not many. They die from running into stuff and concussion syndrome first.
No rep but this is the best I can do

Hey Chief you know even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while....

Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,216,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

Control needs to occur at the other end of the equation. Was it ok with you that China dogfood makers were putting melamine into their product, thousands of pets dying. What's that? Buyer beware applies there, too?

Well, that little segment of the food chain also provided products for human consumption. As a result of investigating the 2007 pet food recalls, a broader Chinese protein export contamination investigation unfolded, raising concerns about the safety of the human food supply.

Buyer beware should not apply to food or drugs. It should not be up to consumers to prove products are unsafe, it should be the manufacturers duty to prove their products are safe BEFORE they market them. We shouldn't be their guinea pigs.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,230,524 times
Quote:
Control needs to occur at the other end of the equation. Was it ok with you that China dogfood makers were putting melamine into their product, thousands of pets dying. What's that? Buyer beware applies there, too?
There's another part to that equation, for example the regualtions for lead in toys. We have a large corporation like Mattel making toys in China that are found to have a lot lead in them. The reaction of course is we're going to test all toys for lead which sounds like a great idea on it's face. The problem is you have a industry here in the US of many small toymakers making them in small batches. The cost of the test exceeds the value of the toys, you can't sell a toy worth $10 if you have $100 invested in a test. Mattel on the other hand is testing one toy for batches of thousands or tens of thousands. The cost is spread over so many of them it's insignificant and to add insult to injury they can do it in house. Ultimately Mattel is the benefactor of an issue they caused.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 AM

913 posts, read 874,754 times
Quote:
NOT a fair solution for the blind, reading them labels. We all should be confident that we are getting safe, wholesome food without jumping thru hoops. If you really, REALLY want that garbage you're defending so hard I'm sure the can provide unhealthy choices in a section in the back with the expired food and moldy lettuce.

what is wholesome food? govt encouraged us to observe the food pyramid. there are some people out there who believe the food pyramid to be actively harmful. some believe it's responsible for the rise in diabetes, celiacs etc.

what is safe food? is it food which has been depleted via radiation of all bacteria? some would argue that we need that bacteria to build immunity. others would argue that irradiating food destroys nutrients. what is safe?

should people be allowed to opt out? what if i like raw milk? what if i think it's better for me? should that be allowed?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Buyer beware should not apply to food or drugs. It should not be up to consumers to prove products are unsafe, it should be the manufacturers duty to prove their products are safe BEFORE they market them. We shouldn't be their guinea pigs.

the problem with people like you is that you don't know how damaging this is. YOU ONLY SEE THE BENEFITS OF REGULATION. you don't understand that for every bad thing govt stops from happening, they stop a lot of good things from happening too. don't feel bad about it because most people think the way you do.

let us assume that penecillin has not yet been discovered and you have a terrible infection in your leg which might lead to amputation. some biotech firm announces that it has developed this new drug called penecillin, which treats bacterial infections. as things stand, it hasn't been tested on animals or humans. should you be allowed to try this drug? but it might kill you? with our overly regulated world, even if you were happy to be a guinea pig, the biotech would not be allowed to test on you. it would probably take years for the drug to be brought to testing phase where a few serious cases would be okay'd for testing. it would be a few more years before they expanded that testing and a few more yet before they got approval.

most people only consider all the people the govt saved by not allowing dodgy drugs to be used treating people. very few people consider how many peoples lives, legs and arms might've been saved had this drug made it to market sooner.

the issue is that people like you cannot get your heads around the reality that life is inherently risky. for us to progress, we have to be able to take risks, and we have to accept that sometimes 5h17 happens!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 AM

You have it completely backwards. Corporations prove over and over that without oversight and regulation they will cheat and steal. Corporations exist solely to make money for its owners. They don't exist to do good for the people, they exploit people and invent new ways to profit off their operations. Regulation is the public's response to corporate fraud and abuse.

Bob Jensen's History of Fraud in America

Citizen Works - Corporate Scandal Fact Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
the problem with people like you is that you don't know how damaging this is. YOU ONLY SEE THE BENEFITS OF REGULATION. you don't understand that for every bad thing govt stops from happening, they stop a lot of good things from happening too. don't feel bad about it because most people think the way you do.

let us assume that penecillin has not yet been discovered and you have a terrible infection in your leg which might lead to amputation. some biotech firm announces that it has developed this new drug called penecillin, which treats bacterial infections. as things stand, it hasn't been tested on animals or humans. should you be allowed to try this drug? but it might kill you? with our overly regulated world, even if you were happy to be a guinea pig, the biotech would not be allowed to test on you. it would probably take years for the drug to be brought to testing phase where a few serious cases would be okay'd for testing. it would be a few more years before they expanded that testing and a few more yet before they got approval.

most people only consider all the people the govt saved by not allowing dodgy drugs to be used treating people. very few people consider how many peoples lives, legs and arms might've been saved had this drug made it to market sooner.

the issue is that people like you cannot get your heads around the reality that life is inherently risky. for us to progress, we have to be able to take risks, and we have to accept that sometimes 5h17 happens!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 AM

If you don't know what wholesome foods are you're in trouble. First, almost everything in the center of a grocery store is bad for you. They actually put the good stuff near the door, veggies and fruit. Green veggies, I eat three or four serving a day, broccoli and asparagus every day for me. Whole grain bread, unprocessed meat and dairy. Avoid the meat glue, adulterations and that wonderful pink slime at the meat counter. Also, watch out for that huge dose of HFCS they have been adding to bread. 9 out of 10 breads use it now.

That processed Crap in the center aisles is loaded with chemicals, fillers, HFCS and "taste components" that are not good for you. The taste additives they are adding are designed to encourage overheating and HFCS does the same by suppressing the mechanism in your brain that says "i'm full".

Read the labels on cereal, I have, you will find that there are few cereals that aren't loaded with HFCS. Many it is the first or second ingredient. Starting off a kid's day on a sugar rush isn't healthy for anyone.

Pop, soda, poison... Whatever name you use it is very bad for you. Drinking colored sugar water???

Moderation with any one item Is the key. Hope that helps you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
what is wholesome food? govt encouraged us to observe the food pyramid. there are some people out there who believe the food pyramid to be actively harmful. some believe it's responsible for the rise in diabetes, celiacs etc.

what is safe food? is it food which has been depleted via radiation of all bacteria? some would argue that we need that bacteria to build immunity. others would argue that irradiating food destroys nutrients. what is safe?

should people be allowed to opt out? what if i like raw milk? what if i think it's better for me? should that be allowed?

Old 05-25-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
If you don't know what wholesome foods are you're in trouble. First, almost everything in the center of a grocery store is bad for you. They actually put the good stuff near the door, veggies and fruit. Green veggies, I eat three or four serving a day, broccoli and asparagus every day for me. Whole grain bread, unprocessed meat and dairy. Avoid the meat glue, adulterations and that wonderful pink slime at the meat counter. Also, watch out for that huge dose of HFCS they have been adding to bread. 9 out of 10 breads use it now.

That processed Crap in the center aisles is loaded with chemicals, fillers, HFCS and "taste components" that are not good for you. The taste additives they are adding are designed to encourage overheating and HFCS does the same by suppressing the mechanism in your brain that says "i'm full".

Read the labels on cereal, I have, you will find that there are few cereals that aren't loaded with HFCS. Many it is the first or second ingredient. Starting off a kid's day on a sugar rush isn't healthy for anyone.

Pop, soda, poison... Whatever name you use it is very bad for you. Drinking colored sugar water???

Moderation with any one item Is the key. Hope that helps you.
i've probably posted this to you before.

http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/repr...tin_Sept03.pdf

i want you to have a good think about this. if the govt puts some new regulations into force, who do you think bears the brunt of the new rules, tyson and monsanto, or the small farmer, grocer and butcher etc?

here is more:

Cal EPA: Kills Businesses Dead - YouTube

and again, this is what you're encouraging, keep up the good work:

Rawesome Foods Raided... Again! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies