Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 PM

33,571 posts, read 37,194,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No it isn't - it is mentioned several times in the Epistles - and always in a negative manner.
There is no term that means homosexual orientation in the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts of the Bible. The authors of the Bible did not understand sexual orientation and thus did not write about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 PM

32,132 posts, read 15,126,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
You are showing a lot of ignorance about the Bible. Jesus is known as the Word, and is the author of the entire Bible. He is not merely a human being that you can quote for his time on earth. The Word is very clearly against the practice of homosexuality (not homosexuals---they're human beings in need of salvation, same as anyone else; however, one cannot continue in the practice of sin).

Now, explain how these church members are having "the government force Christianity on others"???? Were you comatose when you read the OP? Or are you intentionally twisting the topic of the thread?
Jesus did not write the bible.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,707,622 times
The free market at work. Hopefully he'll attract a new (and better) crowd of congregants.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's wrong on so many levels that I don't know where to start. If you want to belong to a "free church" that isn't part of a denomination, then go for it--there are lots of independent churches out there started up by an unaffiliated pastor that you can join. If your church is affiliated with a denomination, you are a part of it because you follow and support it's teachings.
No - actually some people go to a church for reasons other then what the denomination it is affiliated with believes. At the churches I have been to and those that I have been active in - the priority was always on worship and studying the Word - not promoting the denomination - when I began attending. If a church organization becomes bigger then the God that it purports to worship - there are problems - which is one reason why I currently do not attend a church.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There is no term that means homosexual orientation in the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts of the Bible. The authors of the Bible did not understand sexual orientation and thus did not write about it.
There is no such thing as sexual orientation - that is why it wasn't mentioned.

They did understand sexual preference - and they knew that some people chose to be homosexual - which was(and is) deviant.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,633,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Jesus did not write the bible.
And Mohammed loved gay orgies, I suppose.

Those outside a religion seem to think that they can twist the traditions anywhere they wish.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,448,078 times
Quote:

Those outside a religion seem to think that they can twist the traditions anywhere they wish.
The God-less are a humorous lot.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,379,616 times
Quote:
No - actually some people go to a church for reasons other then what the denomination it is affiliated with believes. At the churches I have been to and those that I have been active in - the priority was always on worship and studying the Word - not promoting the denomination - when I began attending. If a church organization becomes bigger then the God that it purports to worship - there are problems - which is one reason why I currently do not attend a church.
You're right.

In this particular instance, it is the United Church of Christ DENOMINATION that has changed. Right or wrong, they have moved in the direction of supporting gay marriage.

What you probably have here is a local congregation of mostly older, more conservative members, who were probably part of the church long before the denomination changed its stance on gay marriage.

This exact same thing has been happening in a LOT of Methodist, Presbyterian and Lutheran churches in the last decade. They denomination has gone "pro gay marriage" and has lost THOUSANDS of members because of it.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,379,616 times
Quote:

Actually, Mohammad love himself an 8-year old girl (Aisha) that he took as a wife. Seems kind of inappropriate to me!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:18 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,854,612 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as sexual orientation.
Classic.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies