Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:12 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I find that in 9 out of 10 times with anyone that I hold the door for!
I guess people in Houston, Tx are more civil than whereever y'all are from. More than half the people I open a door for thank me for it. Never noticed any difference in the thank you percentage among the various races and ethnic groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
From reading your post, it looks like you were pretty much done and were in the way for them to wash their hands. I wouldn't expect thank you's from these women since they clearly needed to wash their hands. Or maybe I don't understand your post.
Yes, I definitely was in their way but I did not have to move from where I was because it was not my fault that the sink beside me was not working and after I moved so the lady could have water you would think she could wash her hands with just water. I never touch the soap in these places. Water washes just fine. It also was not my fault the only mirror was directly in front of the sink. IT WAS MY TURN AND THEY NEEDED TO WAIT UNTIL I WAS FINISHED BUT THEY WERE RUDE. No it was very clearly evident that I was not finished because I had my handbag on the side of the sink and the hair brush in my hand and was nice enough to grab all this stuff to let the first "lady" move from her sink to mine. Then she wanted back over where I was. I had to put my hair brush in my handbag and pick up my walking stick so I could move again. Then here comes the other person. I guess they didn't see me standing there. I must have been invisible.

Maybe you are like them and do not realize that when a person gets there first the place should be theirs until they leave. I wasn't just standing there. I would have been finished in seconds if they had waited their turn. I wasn't expecting a thank you. But it would have been nice not to have to step aside and waste my time when I was almost finished.

Last edited by NCN; 07-10-2012 at 07:09 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I guess people in Houston, Tx are more civil than whereever y'all are from. More than half the people I open a door for thank me for it. Never noticed any difference in the thank you percentage among the various races and ethnic groups.
I open doors for people in a city where almost no one opens doors for each other, and people almost always thank me for it.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,918 times
I guess I'm just way different. I just do things like that, and never expect anything, I even smile

Sure, it's nice when strangers say thank you, not denying that. I guess I haven't reached the stage where I'm so into myself that I become angry and hostile, snickering and sneering at everyone. Hope I never get that way. This thread shows many are not that way, which is a good thing.

The same ones that post angrily in this thread, are the same ones that show the same hostility and hardened outlook in most every thread they participate in. Reminds me of the Christmas Carol, good ole' Scrooge.

Oh well, not going to let them assimilate me

Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,603,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Yes, I definitely was in their way but I did not have to move from where I was because it was not my fault that the sink beside me was not working and after I moved so the lady could have water you would think she could wash her hands with just water. I never touch the soap in these places. Water washes just fine. It also was not my fault the only mirror was directly in front of the sink. IT WAS MY TURN AND THEY NEEDED TO WAIT UNTIL I WAS FINISHED BUT THEY WERE RUDE. No it was very clearly evident that I was not finished because I had my handbag on the side of the sink and the hair brush in my hand and was nice enough to grab all this stuff to let the first "lady" move from her sink to mine. Then she wanted back over where I was. I had to put my hair brush in my handbag and pick up my walking stick so I could move again. Then here comes the other person. I guess they didn't see me standing there. I must have been invisible.

Maybe you are like them and do not realize that when a person gets there first the place should be theirs until they leave. I wasn't just standing there. I would have been finished in seconds if they had waited their turn. I wasn't expecting a thank you. But it would have been nice not to have to step aside and waste my time when I was almost finished.
Thanks for further explanation. I do see your point about them going in front of you without saying excuse me or something. That is rude so no, I am not like them. I would have waited until you were done. I guess I've never encountered that scenario while in the ladies room. And btw, washing with just water is not just fine imo. You do need soap or hand sanitizer to get the job done.

But back on topic...this thread is about treating others with respect and I agree, it should be that way but everyone doesn't see it that way and there's nothing we can do about it unfortunately.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:21 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,897 times
[quote=mlassoff;24544169]And that's funny-- I assume I will be respected and I usually am. In fact I can count on the fingers on one hand the number of times I've felt disrespected. It's amazing what walking around without a big chip on your shoulder will do.

I don't demand anything from anyone. Where I come from, making demands is rude.

Go to some countries- Germany, Austria comes to mind -and you might change your mind.. No amount of respect will help you if THEY have a problem..

Old 07-14-2012, 12:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
[quote=Gudra;25163684]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
And that's funny-- I assume I will be respected and I usually am. In fact I can count on the fingers on one hand the number of times I've felt disrespected. It's amazing what walking around without a big chip on your shoulder will do.

I don't demand anything from anyone. Where I come from, making demands is rude.

Go to some countries- Germany, Austria comes to mind -and you might change your mind.. No amount of respect will help you if THEY have a problem..
The Ugly European.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:15 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No, it's called being smart. Why should I go out of my way to be respectful when not being shown respect in return? You can get trampled by the selfish, rude, and entitled.....that's your choice....but I won't stand for it.

(I love it when "racist" is used against me. It only proves to me that liberals have no other defense. Even when common sense is right there in front of their face.)
You're not racist. Just a crotchity old man who is all out of the milk of human kindness. I hope you at least remember to say "God bless you"

Coolest scene from Dogma - YouTube

Old 07-14-2012, 02:27 AM

552 posts, read 738,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
In theory, yes. But there's a reason that I no longer hold the door for black women. Why? Because 9 out of 10 of them never say "Thank You." This after many years of being spurned. It's an observation that rarely ever fails. I extend respect, and don't get it in return. **** it. Face, meet glass. See if I care. What goes around comes around.
I was taught that you go out of your way even when 9 out of 10 people don't say thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies