Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this decade more backwards oriented than the 1980s and '90s?
Yes 13 65.00%
No, it's more progressive 6 30.00%
More backwards than the 90s, less than the 80s 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:01 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,510 times

Advertisements

More people turning to traditional ways of life.

Makes me excited about the future. The internet will free people from their stupor. Free will is a more natural state than government mandated living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:02 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,170,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I think it is safe to say that since we have a major party that seriously wants to take us back to the gilded age, that is relevant to us being less progressive then we were in the 1980s and 1990s.
Cut the bull****. The GOP doesn't "want us to return to the 1800s" even if that was possible, or worded properly. People like you preach about tolerance, but are the first to strike someone down for their own beliefs.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Not only that, but the other major party is essentially a puppet that's made to look as a 'sane' alternative to the GOP, when really it's maybe 2% less insane if that.
I agree the Democrats are bought, but 2% really. The main thing though is they put liberals on the Supreme Court. If anything is going to turn around in rooting out the massive corruption Citizens United has to be dealt with, bribery is not speech.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
I think we're definitely going backwards because the right wing has essentially won. Conservatives win with Romney or Obama as both are basically the same corporate drones, just available in different shades. I can't imagine electing an FDR type progressive who will actually take on the corruption in Congress and corporate America. In the 80s and 90s, the middle class was slowly falling apart but now its ramping up and about to explode like a pinata to the point where we're like a third world country with a few rich gated communities and millions of poor peons with no hope for advancement.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:08 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I think we're definitely going backwards because the right wing has essentially won. Conservatives win with Romney or Obama as both are basically the same corporate drones, just available in different shades. I can't imagine electing an FDR type progressive who will actually take on the corruption in Congress and corporate America. In the 80s and 90s, the middle class was slowly falling apart but now its ramping up and about to explode like a pinata to the point where we're like a third world country with a few rich gated communities and millions of poor peons with no hope for advancement.
I seriously think we need to change things so that Washington DC is obsolete. They no longer serve our interests and no amount of reform could ever change that.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Cut the bull****. The GOP doesn't "want us to return to the 1800s" even if that was possible, or worded properly. People like you preach about tolerance, but are the first to strike someone down for their own beliefs.
Yes they do. Don't lie and answer all the following questions truthful

Do republicans want to get rid of the EPA and go back to using torts to deal with pollution?
Do Republicans want to get rid of zoning and go back to nussance and restrictive covenents?
Do Republicans want to replace public schools with vouchers?
Do Republicans want to privatize SS and medicare?
Do Republicans want to abolish the Estate Tax?
Do Republicans want to get rid of the income tax or at least have it be miniscule?
Do Republicans want to send the US army to the far corners of the world for adventurism?
Do Republicans want to get rid of regulation, but keep subsidies for major business concerns?
Do Republicans want to get rid of Unions?
Do Republicans want to get rid of or constrict the minimum wage?
Do Republicans want to deeply cut tax payer funded social services in favor of private charities?
Do Republicans want to get rid of OSHA?
Do Republicans want corporations to have 14th amendment rights?

If you answered yes to all or most of these you are back in the gilded age. I tolerate folks just fine I am related to people from all religions and have a lot of friends who are Republican (we just talk about stuff other then politics), but don't expect me to see a ****ty idea and just tolerate it for toleration sake.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-24-2012 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I have hope that these demographic trends will eventually overwhelm the right wing.

Reliable Democratic voters, Hispanics, Asians, and Blacks are seeing increased numbers in comparison to whites.

The right wing is totally dependent on dividing Americans along cultural and racial divides so they can take their minds off how much they are getting screwed by elites.

If they give up scapegoating, they lose the ability to con white voters.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,170,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes they do. Don't lie and answer all the following questions truthful

Do republicans want to get rid of the EPA and go back to using torts to deal with pollution? - EPA is useless
Do Republicans want to get rid of zoning and go back to nussance?
Do Republicans want to replace public schools with vouchers? Public schools are horrible
Do Republicans want to privatize SS and medicare? GOOD IDEA.
Do Republicans want to abolish the Estate Tax?
Do Republicans want to get rid of the income tax or at least have it be miniscule? GOOD IDEA
Do Republicans want to send the US army to the far corners of the world for adventurism? BAD IDEA. Obama is no different and neither are any democrat politicians
Do Republicans want to get rid of regulation, but keep subsidies for major business concerns?
Do Republicans want to get rid of Unions? FANTASTIC IDEA
Do Republicans want to get rid of or constrict the minimum wage? GOOD IDEA
Do Republicans want to deeply cut tax payer funded social services in favor of private charities? GOOD IDEA
Do Republicans want to get rid of OSHA?

If you answered yes to all or most of these you are back in the gilded age. I tolerate folks just fine I am related to people from all religions and have a lot of friends who are Republican (we just talk about stuff other then politics), but don't expect me to see a ****ty idea and just tolerate it for toleration sake.
I didn't answer all, because I don't care. You see, it goes back to OPINIONS. Many of those are good ideas. The government was at its greatest in the 19th century. It's about keeping the good from different time periods. Actually abide by the constitution. Go back to the old politics and keep the civil rights and more liberty for social matters of today.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't answer all, because I don't care. You see, it goes back to OPINIONS. Many of those are good ideas. The government was at its greatest in the 19th century. It's about keeping the good from different time periods. Actually abide by the constitution. Go back to the old politics and keep the civil rights and more liberty for social matters of today.
See. You do want to go back to the 1890s it's not BS at all.

The tolerance thing is just an epic fail deflection from the fact that you have now admitted, which is you want to return the country to the gilded age.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I have hope that these demographic trends will eventually overwhelm the right wing.

Reliable Democratic voters, Hispanics, Asians, and Blacks are seeing increased numbers in comparison to whites.

The right wing is totally dependent on dividing Americans along cultural and racial divides so they can take their minds off how much they are getting screwed by elites.

If they give up scapegoating, they lose the ability to con white voters.
I agree that the demographics are drifting away from the GOP gradually. With the boomer influence, they will go supernova before that though. Or so, I fear.

The social conservatives, who are usually not very informed or educated, are easily duped by snake oil salesmen like Limbaugh, Beck,etc. What keeps surprising me is how highly educated conservatives would want to support all the roll backs in regulation that clearly lower our overall quality of life. Environmental issues, for instance, once held wide bipartisan support. The RW crazies that were elected in 2010 don't seem to care about anything except loyalty to Grover Norquist and the talk radio ideologues. Surely they know that their gated communities and private schools are no replacement for a clean environment and a healthy middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies