Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this decade more backwards oriented than the 1980s and '90s?
Yes 13 65.00%
No, it's more progressive 6 30.00%
More backwards than the 90s, less than the 80s 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Yes, they do.

If the government was more like way back when, that doesn't mean there would be no laws in the west, slavery, etc. It's 2012. Not 1880.
Uh, no. The government is the way it is now because of the changes that occurred over the past 220 years. Back in the 1840s and before states had far more power. You can deny it all you want, but the Barron v. Baltimore stands strong for the fact that prior to the 14th amendment, which is the basis for most of the stuff the GOP dislikes, states could do whatever they darned well pleased because for the states the bill of rights did not apply. They had to hold elections, let people settle and not harass travelers and traders and that was about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,170,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Uh, no. The government is the way it is now because of the changes that occurred over the past 220 years. Back in the 1840s and before states had far more power. You can deny it all you want, but the Barron v. Baltimore stands strong for the fact that prior to the 14th amendment, which is the basis for most of the stuff the GOP dislikes, states could do whatever they darned well pleased because for the states the bill of rights did not apply. They had to hold elections and that was about it.
We're never going to agree on anything. I'm done posting here. Keep your own opinions, it's what makes the country great.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Those were the days my friend! No civil rights, welfare state, EPA, Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, and no daily limits!
You mean the good 'ol days for you were when you were a little kid and blacks weren't allowed in the amusement parks?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:08 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
The good ole days when there was no 15 trillion dollar debt.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Culture like music, tv and movies were a million times better than now for sure

Today there is a severe lack of talent and creativity especially compared to the 80's but also to the 90's

People just seem to be getting by and act like robots today compared to past decades when people seemed much happier and lived life (pre 2000's)
I absolutely disagree. There is a TON or originality and creativity out there... I think the problem is that most people think on a less intelligent level because it's too 'hard' to grasp and learn about more complicated issues. Use that as a base, and then realize that much of what is put forth to the public is only put there to make as much money as possible and you get the illusion that everyone is stupid. Yes, I can all but guarantee that most people will easily be able to point out Kim Kardashian without a problem but have no idea who Carl Sagan is.

I choose to surround myself with creativity and intelligence so that's what I see in my everyday life. Amazing, creative music, people inventing, creating and making things that are far beyond my own scope of thinking.

Don't let society at large keep you down, go out and find creativity.. I promise you it's out there

Old 06-25-2012, 05:44 AM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
The sun is setting on the republic. Unfortunately, it will take a decline in the quality of popular culture for some to feel it. Maybe that's a testament of PART of the problem? They say every great empire finds a way to squander it's wealth and resources...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies