Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this decade more backwards oriented than the 1980s and '90s?
Yes 13 65.00%
No, it's more progressive 6 30.00%
More backwards than the 90s, less than the 80s 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
See. You do want to go back to the 1890s it's not BS at all.
In terms of politics, yes.

I thought you might be talking about civil rights/social issues, which you apparently don't care about. All liberals care about are ways to take money from taxpayers, but that is well known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
In terms of politics, yes.

I thought you might be talking about civil rights/social issues, which you apparently don't care about. All liberals care about are ways to take money from taxpayers, but that is well known.
Gee I thought from the two posts I made it was kind of obvious I was talking about economics and politics. Again I care about civil right but that is another fail deflection from the fact that you want to take us back to the gilded age.

Quote:
Heck if the GOP had their way they would take us back to the 1890s where urchin children roamed the streets, disease outbreaks were common, people lived in shanties, there was no safety net, and cities were filthy...but at least the rich didn't have to pay any taxes at all and corporations were people.
Quote:
Not only that you had the Supreme Court to step in any time one of those pesky states decided to ban yellow dog contracts, limit work hours, or set a minimum wage, because of course all of those things are horribly unconstitutional and the federal government exists to keep states from doing them.
The 19th century in terms of politics sucked. The Dems were racist and the GOP was bent on protecting a system where a few lived like kings while millions struggled in desperate poverty from the grindingly poor, sharecrop based economy of the rural south. To the crowed, polluted, and unhealthy cities of the Northeast.

EDIT: I forgot about the west. Yes the wild west, that great, lawless 19th century Somalia that numerous people flocked to because they figured hey, it can't be as bad as where we are now.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-24-2012 at 11:47 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
But none is so blind as he who will not see. That is the state of 21st century politics, where Ronald Reagan rides a red, white, and blue unicorn through amber waves of grain for ever and ever amen. Facts,even the environment itself, and the people themselves, don't matter. It is all about mythologizing, and tax cutting, and being outraged by those do gooder liberals!

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 06-25-2012 at 12:14 AM..

Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Gee I thought from the two posts I made it was kind of obvious I was talking about economics and politics. Again I care about civil right but that is another fail deflection from the fact that you want to take us back to the gilded age.

The 19th century in terms of politics sucked. The Dems were racist and the GOP was bent on protecting a system where a few lived like kings while millions struggled in desperate poverty from the grindingly poor, sharecrop based economy of the rural south. To the crowed, polluted, and unhealthy cities of the Northeast.
Hm. Yes. Let's keep the government-dependent, nanny state going.

Oh, I didn't read your posts in full. I don't read liberal garbage.

1800s US politics were better.

Is that a deflection in your tiny, liberal mind?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Hm. Yes. Let's keep the government-dependent, nanny state going.

Oh, I didn't read your posts in full. I don't read liberal garbage.

1800s US politics were better.

Is that a deflection in your tiny, liberal mind?
No they were not better that is bull****. As I said toleration is for people not ****ty opinions.

As I said in the 19th century the Dems were racist and the GOP was intent on running America the way Yeltsin ran Russia, have a few oligarchs and screw the rest. You didn't have a decent Republican until Teddy. How in the hell was that better? Please explain this one to me. Use all the rightwing logic you can think of to explain how a country that was 1/2 poor and 1/2 lawless had better politics. I am particular agog to hear your explanation of the far superior political system the wild west had. I am certain you didn't read anything I wrote because if you did you wouldn't be spouting this crap.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
No they were not better that is bull****. As I said toleration is for people not ****ty opinions.

As I said in the 19th century the Dems were racist and the GOP was intent on running America the way Yeltsin ran Russia, have a few oligarchs and screw the rest. You didn't have a decent Republican until Teddy. How in the hell was that better? Please explain this one to me. Use all the rightwing logic you can think of to explain how a country that was 1/2 poor and 1/2 lawless had better politics. I am certain you didn't read anything I wrote because if you did you wouldn't be spouting this crap.
In your opinion. In MY opinion, the Founding Fathers had it correct, even if all their ideas were never put in motion.

Yes, you are not accepting of other opinions. By the way, you do an excellent job of showing why you think your opinion is better. Insulting is the way to win people over.

My opinion is better than yours, in my opinion.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
In your opinion. In MY opinion, the Founding Fathers had it correct, even if all their ideas were never put in motion.

Yes, you are not accepting of other opinions. By the way, you do an excellent job of showing why you think your opinion is better. Insulting is the way to win people over.

My opinion is better than yours, in my opinion.
Ok so you want to go back to the 18th century America when America wasn't really America, you couldn't defend the "better politics" of the 19th century. The ideals of the founding fathers were that you had 13 sovereign countries trying to form some kind of stable political union. The founding fathers wanted the federal government to control trade, defense, the post, immigration, and ensure that the states kept having elections. Basically prior to the civil war America as we know it did not exist and states had an amazing amount of power. Georgia wants slavery Massachusetts wants to ban all guns. (the bill of rights only applies to the feds not the states) Maryland wants to take your property with no compensation South Carolina wants the official religion to be Southern Baptist and make it a requirement for holding office, attending university, or entering the professions. (Again no bill of rights for the states) .

Again everyone is entitled to their opinion but some opinions suck.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-25-2012 at 12:29 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Ok so you want to go back to the 18th century America when America wasn't really America, you couldn't defend the "superior ideas of the 19th century." The ideals of the founding fathers was that you had 13 sovereign countries trying to form some kind of stable political union. The founding fathers wanted the federal government to control trade, defense, the post, immigration, and ensure that the states kept having elections. Basically prior to the civil war America as we know it did not exist and states had an Amazing amount of power. Georgia wants slavery Massachusetts wants to ban all guns. (the bill of rights only applies to the feds not the states) Maryland wants to take your property with no compensation South Carolina wants the official religion to be Southern Baptist and make it a requirement for holding office, attending university, or entering the professions. (Again no bill of rights for the states) .

Again everyone is entitled to their opinion but some opinions suck.
In YOUR opinion. Aren't opinions FUN?

All the states still have to abide by the bill of rights. k:

Old 06-25-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
In YOUR opinion. Aren't opinions FUN?

All the states still have to abide by the bill of rights. k:
Barron v. Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia No, no they didn't. That is a post civil war creation out of the 14th amendment.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, they do.

If the government was more like way back when, that doesn't mean there would be no laws in the west, slavery, etc. It's 2012. Not 1880.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies