Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I'm not sure why you would "LMAO@them"? You sound resentful of people who were able to obtain a higher education degree. Are you implying that without a degree they would be employed with a good paying job? I'm not clear as to why anyone would find enjoyment in another person's hard knocks.
The truth is that nobody is going to get far in life without some type of higher education, it doesn't have to be "college". It can be technical school, trade school, cosmetology school, whatever.

"You sound..."

"Are you implying...?"

"I'm not clear as to..."

OMG!

I just realized you're PHIL LUNDBERG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"You sound..."

"Are you implying...?"

"I'm not clear as to..."

OMG!

I just realized you're PHIL LUNDBERG!
Come on! You gotta include you a youtube link for that kind of thing:

Office Space TPS Reports - YouTube

Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Liberals believe that reading and being exposed to a wide variety of knowledge makes one educated. Conservatives believe drinking heavily, keeping tabs on the WWE, listening to Rush Limbaugh and Fox News, reading the Bible and muddin' in their trailer park makes one educated. It's just a fundamental difference developed by an insular redneck culture.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Why does a conservative think that liberals think what you do in only the confines a University (sic) makes one "educated"?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why does a conservative think that liberals think what you do in only the confines a University (sic) makes one "educated"?
Inferiority complex.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Inferiority complex.
It's not a 'complex'...

Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
What is the cost of that degree and how long will it take to pay off the student loan? I'm not trying to knock higher education, but it is part of the whole picture and too many people don't consider that before enrolling.

There are alternatives. College is one way, but not the only way.
At a state school? Several Thousand a year. What other alternatives are there to getting a job in an actual engineering field without an engineering degree? Please, I am interested in your response. I have never met anybody that was an engineer that didn't have a degree in engineering or a science.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Default Why do liberals think what you do in only in the confines a Unversity makes one "educated"?

Why do conservos post their silly misconceptions as "questions?"

Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why do you have to be so nasty?

And they're not the same thing. I know a few baristas who are more educated and more intelligent than some wealthy investment bankers I know. One of my best friends, after completing his Fulbright scholarship, got his Ph.D. in chemistry. He's now an elementary school teacher, loves it, and plans to do if for the rest of his life. Education is about personal fulfillment (adult non-trade school education that is). It's not about monetary positioning or climbing the employment ladder.
I'm sorry ... you're right, I shouldn't be nasty ... I should agree with the endlessly inane posts from the twilight zone.

First, you make an absurd claim that education and career have not been interminably bound like Siamese twins .... as if medical students really aren't attending medical school to become doctors .... or law school to become lawyers .... or engineering to become engineers ... etc., etc., etc.,. What's next? Bozo was a serious theatrical performer and not a clown?

Then you offer the "example" of your best friend who put his PhD to good use by becoming an elementary school teacher as proof. The only thing that proves is that your best friend's PhD obviously wasn't in the field of math, finance or economics. The underlying, but even more practical issue is how that is akin to a person attaining an MD in order to teach First Aid and CPR at the local YMCA. It's really quite inane.

Think for five seconds. Would you seek the professional qualification such as a PhD in Math in order to spend the next 20 or 30 years of your life teaching rooms full of 6 year olds "if you have 5 apples and you take two away, how many do you have left" .... day in and day out, year after year, decade after decade? I mean seriously ... don't you see a flaw or two in that plan?

I tell you this, as for educational credentials, I'm least impressed with PhD's. It's a highly political credential, where one's fate is in the hands of others (committee, adviser, etc.) more than themselves. It's a kiss arse contest for the purpose of being allowed to join the PhD club, rather than proof of one's grand intellectual prowess or superior grasp of the subject matter. My ex had a PhD in communications ... and she never shut up. You could have a "conversation" with her for an hour and not get three words out of your mouth ... or at least not get three words heard. She could explain to you in the finest detail, every nuance of effective conversational skills ever contemplated by the great philosophers in history ... including the cutting edge techniques and skills of "listening", without ever pausing for air. That's no BS and no exaggeration.

Then there was this neighbor or ours ... a 375 Lb lesbian who attained her PhD in psychology. This woman had more psychological issues and character flaws than Charles Manson ... an angry, spiteful mess of pure negativity who could find fault in a cute puppy or a sunny day, and who couldn't decide who she disliked more ... men .. heterosexual women, or children. The woman should have been placed on suicide watch ... but no doubt, she'll wind up teaching psychology at a University somewhere, being paid handsome sums for poisoning countless minds into the future, because that was her goal. Having this woman teach psychology is like having John McEnroe teach anger management, or Liz Taylor serving as as a marriage counselor.

That old saying "people who can, do ... people who can't, teach" really does have a foundation in reality. And our country is one gigantic example of what happens when you have the entirely wrong people doing the entirely wrong jobs for which they are not qualified, either technically, intellectually, or emotionally. From the biggest liars being elected to the highest offices ... to the biggest crooks controlling the banks. You simply can't make up a worse scenario if you wanted to.

Another example is how our top business schools today teach the "ends justify the means", winner take all, show no mercy and take no prisoners approach to business now. This type of philosophy is directly counter to what was historically the fundamental principle of business 101 ... where a lopsided business deal that produces a big winner and a big loser is not a good deal for anyone, including the winner. That's out the window now ... now the philosophy is he who has the sharpest knife and cuts the most throats, wins. The new free market strategy is the elimination of competition, and consolidation through monopoly. Of course that was always a driving force, though remained an unspoken strategy. But not any more ... it's now taught as THE strategy.

The bottom line is, this new revised business school model produces exactly what we don't need more of ... crooks and thieves. And the same can be said of education in general, which is now solely focused on indoctrination. From K thru post graduate education, students are being taught what to think rather than how to think, which explains the massive levels of what appears to be irrational thought in our society. The irrationality is really not what is being thought ... it's what's being taught.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 07-06-2012 at 01:10 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
At a state school? Several Thousand a year. What other alternatives are there to getting a job in an actual engineering field without an engineering degree? Please, I am interested in your response. I have never met anybody that was an engineer that didn't have a degree in engineering or a science.
About engineering I don't know. I think I read your question to mean something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies