Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 04:40 PM

15,098 posts, read 8,641,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
College is an environment that is specifically designed for the transmission of complex information. For example, a mechanic I know is very good with complex cars. He learned it over his life time of growing up around family mechanics. Another young guy I know never worked on cars in his entire life but after four years in an automotive tech program he works on the same cars.
College improves a persons discipline. This may be why many people who graduate from college are able to take jobs that they do not have degrees in.
College improves discipline? Bwuhahahaha You should take this routine on the "road" .... you'll fill auditoriums with roars of laughter, and make a fortune

I live in a "college town", and I've had the unfortunate experience of watching what used to be a very cool, riverside community turn into a huge college dormitory for kids with obviously wealthy parents. And the feeling I got was .... "this is our future? These are our future leaders? We are doomed as a species if that is the case".

Now I'm an old %&^& ... been around a while ... been around the block, and seen it all. You know what I see? I see young men with beards riding freaking skateboards! My generation stopped riding skateboards when we turned 9 .. and graduated to full size bicycles that were just slightly too large for us, but we managed. I see 20 year olds riding these undersized bikes (which are apparently designed to do everything other than what bikes were originally designed to do) that look like they were built for 8 year olds! When I was 20, my "bike" had a "Harley Davidson" emblem on it, and my "skateboard" was a Chevy that I worked on and repaired myself. Many of these kids can't even figure out they are out of gas when their car doesn't start.

Now, these outward signs of retarded maturity doesn't stop with baby bikes and skateboards ... but also shows up in the inane backward logic which comes with the "entitlement" mentality that driving brand new BMW's until the motor seizes from lack of oil, reinforces. Partying every night till sunrise and consuming alcohol as if it were their last night on earth, doesn't help much .... and their academic strategy seems to consist of trying to figure out how to convince Beth, Suzie and Janice to do that little hot threesome thing again and allow it to be uploaded to YouTube this time. Living in a lakeside community, walking distance from downtown with 50 bars with live music every night, leaving their windows open and air conditioning set at 62, when it's 105 outside all combined together is generating a future member of society that would scare the daylights out of Mad Max. The few hours each day when these kids aren't making neanderthals look like a form of advanced human species, and they actually take time out to sleep, through a few classes, they are then subliminally programmed with leftist/Marxist ideological gobbledygook that dominates and permeates 21st century academia, offered up by bazaar Orwellian type "professors" who themselves have never actually held a real job in their lives. Welcome to the University of Nowhere .... criteria for acceptance? Someone to pay the 30 grand annual tuition ... a pulse ... ability to sign your name .. and a pencil.

A few years ago, I was doing some work at a couple of hi-rise buildings downtown ... modern, art deco like joints, with impressive lobbies, and high end feature apartments. Anywhere in the country, these premium pads would be occupied by executive level professionals with excellent incomes (in NYC, only Millionaires need apply) ... not your average income types ..... but these buildings? They were part of a consortium of "student housing" for the University of Texas. Student housing!!!

Talking with the superintendent .... I asked him how these buildings could possibly be relegated to student housing, and he just laughed and said "because the world we live in now is upside down and totally insane, and apparently there are enough parents out there with more money than brains". And it's so true, .... they are not doing these kids any favors by providing a lifestyle like this that fosters this absurd notion that the world is their oyster, to include someone else to open it for them.

Then, he walked me over to the luxurious lobby area, with leather furniture, attractive art on the walls, and tables with vases of flowers, and so forth ... he said ... try picking up one of those bowls of fruit on the table over there. An odd request it seemed, but I did. I couldn't budge it. That's because it was glued down to the table!! That's right ... every piece of anything in that lobby that was movable was glued or bolted down, because they got tired of replacing all of it twice a week. A bowl of fake fruit? Bowl glued to the table, and the fruit glued to the freaking bowl ... absolutely astounding. He told me all of the five properties this group manages for student housing experiences the same thing ... he said it was literally animal house on steroids .... with their housekeeping budget three times the norm, just to pick up trash in the hallways, trash and puke in the elevators, replacing appliances like refrigerators that have their doors ripped off, and stopped up toilets with all matters of strange items that normal human beings would never even think would go down. This is the reality.

And this may seem like a harsh indictment of our youth ... but I don't really blame them as much as I blame the environment that created them (and not all of the college students behave this way .. there are many conscientious ones who have come from good family backgrounds and are real cool kids who also see how crazy things have gotten).

But we need to pull our heads out of the sand here with this nonsense about college educations providing anything other than what they are actually providing, which is another obnoxiously overpriced revenue stream for the banks and universities who are milking us dry, charging outrageous sums for the privilege of indoctrinating another generation of our unsuspecting youth with false leftist ideological mumbo jumbo that have these kids believing that up is actually down.

A growing number of them (just like the public at large) are becoming better informed and too smart to be bamboozled with this indoctrination posing as education, as they realize that what they are being told doesn't jibe with the reality that they see occurring in the outside world. But too many are still trapped in a perpetual state of a grade school like mentality who see nothing at all wrong with grown men riding skateboards, and are incapable of making such comparisons. But the tide seems to be shifting a bit, and things seem to be moving ina more positive direction, much to the chagrin of the liberal progressives. We can only pray that the pace of that shift accelerates enough to allow sanity to make it to the finish line first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 09:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Right, right. But then tell me this?

How many doctors without medical degrees have you taken your kids to?

How many dentists with out degrees, have you gone to?

How many lawyers would you hire, that had never been to law school?

While it is possible to have a college degree, and still be a 'dumbass,' just as it's possible to only have a high school education, but still be a very smart person, the facts are that on a percentage basis, there are a lot more dumbass high school educated people, than there are dumbass college graduates.

And finally, as a high school graduate, do you consider yourself to be better educated, and superior to someone that dropped out of school after the 8th grade?

I am a college graduate. I don't consider myself superior to Bill Gates.

Unfortunately, the government does not allow individuals to practice medicine without a college degree. So I never had the opportunity to choose a doctor without a college degree.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
College improves discipline? Bwuhahahaha You should take this routine on the "road" .... you'll fill auditoriums with roars of laughter, and make a fortune

I live in a "college town", and I've had the unfortunate experience of watching what used to be a very cool, riverside community turn into a huge college dormitory for kids with obviously wealthy parents. And the feeling I got was .... "this is our future? These are our future leaders? We are doomed as a species if that is the case".

Now I'm an old %&^& ... been around a while ... been around the block, and seen it all. You know what I see? I see young men with beards riding freaking skateboards! My generation stopped riding skateboards when we turned 9 .. and graduated to full size bicycles that were just slightly too large for us, but we managed. I see 20 year olds riding these undersized bikes (which are apparently designed to do everything other than what bikes were originally designed to do) that look like they were built for 8 year olds! When I was 20, my "bike" had a "Harley Davidson" emblem on it, and my "skateboard" was a Chevy that I worked on and repaired myself. Many of these kids can't even figure out they are out of gas when their car doesn't start.

Now, these outward signs of retarded maturity doesn't stop with baby bikes and skateboards ... but also shows up in the inane backward logic which comes with the "entitlement" mentality that driving brand new BMW's until the motor seizes from lack of oil, reinforces. Partying every night till sunrise and consuming alcohol as if it were their last night on earth, doesn't help much .... and their academic strategy seems to consist of trying to figure out how to convince Beth, Suzie and Janice to do that little hot threesome thing again and allow it to be uploaded to YouTube this time. Living in a lakeside community, walking distance from downtown with 50 bars with live music every night, leaving their windows open and air conditioning set at 62, when it's 105 outside all combined together is generating a future member of society that would scare the daylights out of Mad Max. The few hours each day when these kids aren't making neanderthals look like a form of advanced human species, and they actually take time out to sleep, through a few classes, they are then subliminally programmed with leftist/Marxist ideological gobbledygook that dominates and permeates 21st century academia, offered up by bazaar Orwellian type "professors" who themselves have never actually held a real job in their lives. Welcome to the University of Nowhere .... criteria for acceptance? Someone to pay the 30 grand annual tuition ... a pulse ... ability to sign your name .. and a pencil.

A few years ago, I was doing some work at a couple of hi-rise buildings downtown ... modern, art deco like joints, with impressive lobbies, and high end feature apartments. Anywhere in the country, these premium pads would be occupied by executive level professionals with excellent incomes (in NYC, only Millionaires need apply) ... not your average income types ..... but these buildings? They were part of a consortium of "student housing" for the University of Texas. Student housing!!!

Talking with the superintendent .... I asked him how these buildings could possibly be relegated to student housing, and he just laughed and said "because the world we live in now is upside down and totally insane, and apparently there are enough parents out there with more money than brains". And it's so true, .... they are not doing these kids any favors by providing a lifestyle like this that fosters this absurd notion that the world is their oyster, to include someone else to open it for them.

Then, he walked me over to the luxurious lobby area, with leather furniture, attractive art on the walls, and tables with vases of flowers, and so forth ... he said ... try picking up one of those bowls of fruit on the table over there. An odd request it seemed, but I did. I couldn't budge it. That's because it was glued down to the table!! That's right ... every piece of anything in that lobby that was movable was glued or bolted down, because they got tired of replacing all of it twice a week. A bowl of fake fruit? Bowl glued to the table, and the fruit glued to the freaking bowl ... absolutely astounding. He told me all of the five properties this group manages for student housing experiences the same thing ... he said it was literally animal house on steroids .... with their housekeeping budget three times the norm, just to pick up trash in the hallways, trash and puke in the elevators, replacing appliances like refrigerators that have their doors ripped off, and stopped up toilets with all matters of strange items that normal human beings would never even think would go down. This is the reality.

And this may seem like a harsh indictment of our youth ... but I don't really blame them as much as I blame the environment that created them (and not all of the college students behave this way .. there are many conscientious ones who have come from good family backgrounds and are real cool kids who also see how crazy things have gotten).

But we need to pull our heads out of the sand here with this nonsense about college educations providing anything other than what they are actually providing, which is another obnoxiously overpriced revenue stream for the banks and universities who are milking us dry, charging outrageous sums for the privilege of indoctrinating another generation of our unsuspecting youth with false leftist ideological mumbo jumbo that have these kids believing that up is actually down.

A growing number of them (just like the public at large) are becoming better informed and too smart to be bamboozled with this indoctrination posing as education, as they realize that what they are being told doesn't jibe with the reality that they see occurring in the outside world. But too many are still trapped in a perpetual state of a grade school like mentality who see nothing at all wrong with grown men riding skateboards, and are incapable of making such comparisons. But the tide seems to be shifting a bit, and things seem to be moving ina more positive direction, much to the chagrin of the liberal progressives. We can only pray that the pace of that shift accelerates enough to allow sanity to make it to the finish line first.
What a load of crap.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Right, right. But then tell me this?

How many doctors without medical degrees have you taken your kids to?

How many dentists with out degrees, have you gone to?

How many lawyers would you hire, that had never been to law school?

While it is possible to have a college degree, and still be a 'dumbass,' just as it's possible to only have a high school education, but still be a very smart person, the facts are that on a percentage basis, there are a lot more dumbass high school educated people, than there are dumbass college graduates.

And finally, as a high school graduate, do you consider yourself to be better educated, and superior to someone that dropped out of school after the 8th grade?
How many talk radio commentators would you listen to who could not even graduate college with a bachelor's degree...oh wait, there is limbaugh, beck, and hannity. Oh well.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Being educated is a byproduct of a number of factors including work and life experiences, social interactions, and emotional intelligence..basically none of which college can teach you. Some of my most successful friends worth millions now didn't even go to college, and some that did dropped out after a couple years to start their own gigs. Know some folks with PHds now working the barista at Starbucks, probably even a few on here complaining about how life isn't fair blaming someone else
Your work ethic , your ability to self teach, and how you manage your time and interact with others are all far more critical to ones success in life than getting a diploma, contrived from professors ..many of whom have probably never gotten their hands dirty in the real world.
You sound like a troll. I don't need to go to a university to know that.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 PM

589 posts, read 851,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I am a college graduate. I don't consider myself superior to Bill Gates.

Unfortunately, the government does not allow individuals to practice medicine without a college degree. So I never had the opportunity to choose a doctor without a college degree.

If Bill gates is the only example you can come up with as a reason people don't need to go to college, then you're making my point for me. BTW, Bill's a big liberal. No, really, it's true. Bill's a big supporter of all those liberal commie causes, like health care for poor children, education, and the arts. (along with his good friend Warren Buffet, I might add)

What would you say if I made the argument that inner city black teenagers don't need to go to college, or even finish high school, because look at Kobe Bryant, or LeBron James. They never went to college.

Finally, I would doubt that even a teabagger would be foolish enought to choose a 'doctor' who had no formal education.

"It's time for our Government to get serious about shared sacrifice" --Warren Buffet

Old 07-04-2012, 09:55 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
If Bill gates is the only example you can come up with as a reason people don't need to go to college, then you're making my point for me. BTW, Bill's a big liberal. No, really, it's true. Bill's a big supporter of all those liberal commie causes, like health care for poor children, education, and the arts. (along with his good friend Warren Buffet, I might add)

What would you say if I made the argument that inner city black teenagers don't need to go to college, or even finish high school, because look at Kobe Bryant, or LeBron James. They never went to college.

Finally, I would doubt that even a teabagger would be foolish enought to choose a 'doctor' who had no formal education.

"It's time for our Government to get serious about shared sacrifice" --Warren Buffet
How much education is really required for many of the things people go to the doctor for?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How much education is really required for many of the things people go to the doctor for?

Seriously? Yes, you can have an RN take your temp, and weigh you, and maybe even take your blood, but when it comes to kicking the tires, I'd rather be talking with someone that's maybe a little 'overqualified' instead of someone just guessing, and hoping that nothing big is hiding from him.

Properly used, you go to the doctor to PREVENT anything bad from ever happening in the first place. That means going to someone with the training and experience to be able to anticipate something bad, before it actually happens. But, as you know, the bad stuff is going to eventually get us all. That's when you'll be very happy that your Doc has all of those Degrees hanging on the wall.

I think your comments are just another example of the type of disrespect for education and training that's becoming more prevalent in our society every day.

Who needs Doctors, or healthcare? I'm healthy! Screw Obamacare.
Who needs lawyers? I never do anything wrong! Tort reform for all!
Who needs teachers? I can do it better myself! Homeschooling is the way to go!

Ridiculous. Hell, a mechanic can't even work on my car unless he has some type of certification, but you don't think Doctors need all that education?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,195,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Being educated is a byproduct of a number of factors including work and life experiences, social interactions, and emotional intelligence..basically none of which college can teach you. Some of my most successful friends worth millions now didn't even go to college, and some that did dropped out after a couple years to start their own gigs. Know some folks with PHds now working the barista at Starbucks, probably even a few on here complaining about how life isn't fair blaming someone else
Your work ethic , your ability to self teach, and how you manage your time and interact with others are all far more critical to ones success in life than getting a diploma, contrived from professors ..many of whom have probably never gotten their hands dirty in the real world.
Sounds like someone's a Grumpy Gus because McDonald's doesn't accept mail-order PhD diplomas as valid qualification.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

Geez. You must have been all kinds of fun, back when you were 18-22.

You sound like a bitter old man to me, who's own life may not have worked out the way he hoped, and now resents the younger generation, for still having their lives in front of them.

Last edited by Nomad58; 07-04-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies