Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 04:15 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why do liberals think what you do in only in the confines a Unversity makes one "educated?"

Who says that they do?

Oh, it's spelled "university," BTW. ...and there is no reason for it to be capitalized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 05:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
"Transmission of Complex Information"....what is more complex than figuring out a life situation with no one there to guide you but your own common sense and a feel for what is right? I am not saying that college is not a good thing..what I am saying is that there have been many successful people, myself included who don't feel deprived because they have not been to college.

My sister in law is an Attorney and just recently graduated from Yale Divinity School while in her 50's. Kudos for her but she is now a retired Attorney and has not pursued being a minister even though she is ordained. She is a perpetual student as she is again contemplating more education. HOWEVER...she didn't know her home where she has lived for years had more than one heating zone, she had a snake in her basement and let him stay there because "he wasn't hurting anything" and she in general hasn't a lick of common sense.

I am married, as I said, to one of the smartest men I have ever known. He has more than one degree in Art and has been certified to teach school. He has taught primary grades and also has taught in the middle school and college environments. Between jobs, he worked as a laborer in a factory and at a gas station..he works hard. He has never had a position using his ART degree and learned the computer stuff he now does by the seat of his pants...which he could have done without the big degrees because he is SMART.
We get your bragging.
In many/most cases, the "smart" man wouldn't make it through the door without a degree and current certifications.
Right place, right time.
Exceptions do not make the rule.
Anecdote =/= data.

Any particular reason why you insist in bolding your comments?

Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
College improves discipline? Bwuhahahaha You should take this routine on the "road" .... you'll fill auditoriums with roars of laughter, and make a fortune

I live in a "college town", and I've had the unfortunate experience of watching what used to be a very cool, riverside community turn into a huge college dormitory for kids with obviously wealthy parents. And the feeling I got was .... "this is our future? These are our future leaders? We are doomed as a species if that is the case".

Now I'm an old %&^& ... been around a while ... been around the block, and seen it all. You know what I see? I see young men with beards riding freaking skateboards! My generation stopped riding skateboards when we turned 9 .. and graduated to full size bicycles that were just slightly too large for us, but we managed. I see 20 year olds riding these undersized bikes (which are apparently designed to do everything other than what bikes were originally designed to do) that look like they were built for 8 year olds! When I was 20, my "bike" had a "Harley Davidson" emblem on it, and my "skateboard" was a Chevy that I worked on and repaired myself. Many of these kids can't even figure out they are out of gas when their car doesn't start.

Now, these outward signs of retarded maturity doesn't stop with baby bikes and skateboards ... but also shows up in the inane backward logic which comes with the "entitlement" mentality that driving brand new BMW's until the motor seizes from lack of oil, reinforces. Partying every night till sunrise and consuming alcohol as if it were their last night on earth, doesn't help much .... and their academic strategy seems to consist of trying to figure out how to convince Beth, Suzie and Janice to do that little hot threesome thing again and allow it to be uploaded to YouTube this time. Living in a lakeside community, walking distance from downtown with 50 bars with live music every night, leaving their windows open and air conditioning set at 62, when it's 105 outside all combined together is generating a future member of society that would scare the daylights out of Mad Max. The few hours each day when these kids aren't making neanderthals look like a form of advanced human species, and they actually take time out to sleep, through a few classes, they are then subliminally programmed with leftist/Marxist ideological gobbledygook that dominates and permeates 21st century academia, offered up by bazaar Orwellian type "professors" who themselves have never actually held a real job in their lives. Welcome to the University of Nowhere .... criteria for acceptance? Someone to pay the 30 grand annual tuition ... a pulse ... ability to sign your name .. and a pencil.

A few years ago, I was doing some work at a couple of hi-rise buildings downtown ... modern, art deco like joints, with impressive lobbies, and high end feature apartments. Anywhere in the country, these premium pads would be occupied by executive level professionals with excellent incomes (in NYC, only Millionaires need apply) ... not your average income types ..... but these buildings? They were part of a consortium of "student housing" for the University of Texas. Student housing!!!

Talking with the superintendent .... I asked him how these buildings could possibly be relegated to student housing, and he just laughed and said "because the world we live in now is upside down and totally insane, and apparently there are enough parents out there with more money than brains". And it's so true, .... they are not doing these kids any favors by providing a lifestyle like this that fosters this absurd notion that the world is their oyster, to include someone else to open it for them.

Then, he walked me over to the luxurious lobby area, with leather furniture, attractive art on the walls, and tables with vases of flowers, and so forth ... he said ... try picking up one of those bowls of fruit on the table over there. An odd request it seemed, but I did. I couldn't budge it. That's because it was glued down to the table!! That's right ... every piece of anything in that lobby that was movable was glued or bolted down, because they got tired of replacing all of it twice a week. A bowl of fake fruit? Bowl glued to the table, and the fruit glued to the freaking bowl ... absolutely astounding. He told me all of the five properties this group manages for student housing experiences the same thing ... he said it was literally animal house on steroids .... with their housekeeping budget three times the norm, just to pick up trash in the hallways, trash and puke in the elevators, replacing appliances like refrigerators that have their doors ripped off, and stopped up toilets with all matters of strange items that normal human beings would never even think would go down. This is the reality.

And this may seem like a harsh indictment of our youth ... but I don't really blame them as much as I blame the environment that created them (and not all of the college students behave this way .. there are many conscientious ones who have come from good family backgrounds and are real cool kids who also see how crazy things have gotten).

But we need to pull our heads out of the sand here with this nonsense about college educations providing anything other than what they are actually providing, which is another obnoxiously overpriced revenue stream for the banks and universities who are milking us dry, charging outrageous sums for the privilege of indoctrinating another generation of our unsuspecting youth with false leftist ideological mumbo jumbo that have these kids believing that up is actually down.

A growing number of them (just like the public at large) are becoming better informed and too smart to be bamboozled with this indoctrination posing as education, as they realize that what they are being told doesn't jibe with the reality that they see occurring in the outside world. But too many are still trapped in a perpetual state of a grade school like mentality who see nothing at all wrong with grown men riding skateboards, and are incapable of making such comparisons. But the tide seems to be shifting a bit, and things seem to be moving ina more positive direction, much to the chagrin of the liberal progressives. We can only pray that the pace of that shift accelerates enough to allow sanity to make it to the finish line first.
Yep. The one building and college town you live in represents all youth on the Earth today, because obviously everyone under 25 lives that exact lifestyle, right down to the bolted fruit.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:41 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Being educated is a byproduct of a number of factors including work and life experiences, social interactions, and emotional intelligence..basically none of which college can teach you. Some of my most successful friends worth millions now didn't even go to college, and some that did dropped out after a couple years to start their own gigs. Know some folks with PHds now working the barista at Starbucks, probably even a few on here complaining about how life isn't fair blaming someone else
Your work ethic , your ability to self teach, and how you manage your time and interact with others are all far more critical to ones success in life than getting a diploma, contrived from professors ..many of whom have probably never gotten their hands dirty in the real world.
What is your point?

Are you arguing against a formal education?

A college education does not automatically mean you will be successful. Just like the successful non-college educated person, while not having a degree is still probably intelligent and hard working and has a plan.

A Phd at Starbuck's by the way is highly educated- they just have poor job placement- so fail on your argument there.

But to ascribed this just to liberals because your Magic 8 ball said so is idiotic.

BTW, the real world is many different things to many different people.

Try being a physician without that "diploma contrived from professors" and see how long you last.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:49 AM

9 posts, read 11,555 times
[quote=irishvanguard;25018172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
^^^^Typical speak from someone without a college degree.QUOTE]

Typical ignorant, judgemental statement from you.

I would dare say that university graduates with at least two Chemistry credits and two Calculus credits are rarely liberal. Liberals tend to have an education more skewered to the Humanities.
Stereotyping much? Hmmmm...funny thing that I personally know 4 physicians (probably more but I don't always talk politics with them) that are liberals. Think they have more than your required 2 chemistry classes?

All this liberal this and liberal that. How many republicans think a college education is important? Do you even realize how many jobs REQUIRE a college degree? Not that I believe they are necessary for every job but the companies requires it. So would you rather those jobs go overseas to countries who believe education is important? Seriously.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:54 AM

9 posts, read 11,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
At the age of 37,a person really hasn`t experienced very much.
Really??

I have fought Stage 3B breast cancer.
I have helped nurse my husband back from a major brain injury that he almost died from.
I have worked since I turned 13.
I have been in charge of an HR department for a Fortune 100 company.

I am 37.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Is that educated or indoctrinated? I mean sure there is education involved but then everything in life offers you the opprotunity to learn.
I built a jeep from a rolling chasis. It not only was an experience but also an education. I learned projects of this nature will break the budget and fast. Life is an education and no classroom setting can replace life experience. I deal with college grads and have to wonder if their parents feel like they got robbed.
Well, let's put it this way, people who apply what they know are higher up on the food chain (in my opinion) that the ones who sit in their university ivory towers and pontificate. I guess it doesn't matter what we call them.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod

I would dare say that university graduates with at least two Chemistry credits and two Calculus credits are rarely liberal. Liberals tend to have an education more skewered to the Humanities.
You know this how? Please provide your data/research/etc. I won't hold my breathe.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why do liberals think what you do in only in the confines a Unversity makes one "educated"?

Have anything factual proving that is what liberals actually think or did you just feel like making something up?
Yes I do! Those libs don't even know how to spell Skoal, much less go to one.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Yeah it's called life experience and dealing in business, and people in various walks of life over my 37 years on this planet.
In other words, you just felt like making something up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies