Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Ridiculous. Hell, a mechanic can't even work on my car unless he has some type of certification, but you don't think Doctors need all that education?
No, a mechanic does not have to be certified to work on my car, nor should a doctor have to be certified to work on my body. THE AMA HAS DONE A GREAT JOB OF CONVINCING THE MINDLESS MASSES THAT RESTRICTING THE SUPPLY OF MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS IS A GOOD THING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:37 PM

589 posts, read 851,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No, a mechanic does not have to be certified to work on my car, nor should a doctor have to be certified to work on my body. THE AMA HAS DONE A GREAT JOB OF CONVINCING THE MINDLESS MASSES THAT RESTRICTING THE SUPPLY OF MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS IS A GOOD THING.

That's a foolish, and uninformed comment.

From the 1960s to 2002, about 25,000 new physicians went into practice yearly with the physician population in the U.S. increasing at a rate of 3% while the general population increased at only 1% yearly. As a result each year the concentration of physicians in the population increased.

If you have been feeling any 'restriction,' it is likely due to all of the rules and regulations placed on your health care options, by the self serving health insurance companies. Those restrictions have now been grreatly curbed by the AHCA.

Listen, if you want to continue to go to your teabagger approved witchdoctor, be my guest. Conversely, I'll continue to visit my fully certified, well educated, experienced doctor. Which BTW, will now be less expensive for me, because I'll now have your tax/penalty to offset some of my costs.

Last edited by Nomad58; 07-04-2012 at 10:46 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Listen, if you want to continue to go to your teabagger approved witchdoctor, be my guest. Conversely, I'll continue to visit my fully certified, well educated, experienced doctor. Which BTW, will now be less expensive for me, because I'll now have your tax/penalty to offset some of my costs.
I don't have the opportunity to go to an unlicensed doctor. Your point is moot.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,509 times
Quote:
Geez. You must have been all kinds of fun, back when you were 18-22.

You sound like a bitter old man to me, who's own life may not have worked out the way he hoped, and now resents the younger generation, for still having their lives in front of them.
Sounds like you are jealous of people who have earned what they have in life

We already know you are jealous of people who have graduated from college

Old 07-05-2012, 12:23 AM

589 posts, read 851,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Sounds like you are jealous of people who have earned what they have in life

We already know you are jealous of people who have graduated from college

Hey, back from Slab City already?

Last edited by Nomad58; 07-05-2012 at 01:49 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 AM

33,557 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Yeah it's called life experience and dealing in business, and people in various walks of life over my 37 years on this planet.
What exactly does any of this have to do with liberals?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 AM

33,557 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You won't find a back yard mechanic working on my car, and you sure as hell won't find an un-certified doctor working on my body...Perhaps you should move on down to the Amazon?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:13 AM

15,098 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Geez. You must have been all kinds of fun, back when you were 18-22.

You sound like a bitter old man to me, who's own life may not have worked out the way he hoped, and now resents the younger generation, for still having their lives in front of them.

Hahaha ... I see we have at least two self identified adult skateboarders here!

And yes, I was loads of fun back in the "old days" ..... after all, I was growing up in the era of sex, drugs and rock & roll, for which I indulged in more than my fair share of all three . I made great money, lived on my own, drove hot rod cars, and always had a collection of pretty females hanging out. No complaints at all ... very fond memories and not a hint of bitterness at how my life has turned out, which is not so drastically different now, minus the drugs and the women which have been replaced with good whiskey, cigars and one woman .... a natural process of maturing. You've got to slow down at some point. The state of my country, on the other hand, is a source of deep sadness and disappointment.

Of course, you can't imagine what I'm talking about because you think everything is just fine ... that all is right with the world, because, as they say, you don't know what you don't know. The truth is, it's against the law to have fun nowadays .... and me and my boys back then would never be able to tolerate the nanny state today.

So believe me when I tell you, I'm sure as hell not sad that I'm what you refer to as "Old" ... I wouldn't choose to relive my earlier years at this point in time for all the tea in China. I cannot even imagine being one of today's emasculated new age metrosexual males, wearing those skinny hip huger jeans that only girls used to wear, and that sweet unisex cologne for boys or girls. The very concept of modern chic and trendy makes me physically ill. And the idea of replacing the Jimi Hendrix and the Rolling Stones, with the likes of Beyonce and Lady Gaga is enough to make me gaga my lunch. No thanks.

Far from bitter ... I'm deeply grateful that I grew up how and when I did.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yeah, they've arrived and somehow can't manage to find a job.

How stupid is that!

LMAO@them.
Who exactly are "them?" All of my liberal friends & family members are employed (or retired), myself included.

And to answer the OP, I do believe both education and life experiences are important... why would you assume a liberal and/or educated person would feel otherwise? I took a year off after high school, two years off between sophomore & junior year of college, then another 1 1/2 years off before graduate school. I did that to gain experience along the way, working in a variety of jobs and traveling during that time period. I ended up finishing grad school at age 30, with a nice resume and "real-life" experience to go along with the degrees. Does it hurt to have a good education? Nope.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-05-2012 at 03:06 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 04:11 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,268,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
College is an environment that is specifically designed for the transmission of complex information. For example, a mechanic I know is very good with complex cars. He learned it over his life time of growing up around family mechanics. Another young guy I know never worked on cars in his entire life but after four years in an automotive tech program he works on the same cars.
College improves a persons discipline. This may be why many people who graduate from college are able to take jobs that they do not have degrees in.
"Transmission of Complex Information"....what is more complex than figuring out a life situation with no one there to guide you but your own common sense and a feel for what is right? I am not saying that college is not a good thing..what I am saying is that there have been many successful people, myself included who don't feel deprived because they have not been to college.
My sister in law is an Attorney and just recently graduated from Yale Divinity School while in her 50's. Kudos for her but she is now a retired Attorney and has not pursued being a minister even though she is ordained. She is a perpetual student as she is again contemplating more education. HOWEVER...she didn't know her home where she has lived for years had more than one heating zone, she had a snake in her basement and let him stay there because "he wasn't hurting anything" and she in general hasn't a lick of common sense.
I am married, as I said, to one of the smartest men I have ever known. He has more than one degree in Art and has been certified to teach school. He has taught primary grades and also has taught in the middle school and college environments. Between jobs, he worked as a laborer in a factory and at a gas station..he works hard. He has never had a position using his ART degree and learned the computer stuff he now does by the seat of his pants...which he could have done without the big degrees because he is SMART.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies