Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 02:14 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

What some fail to understand is most of the southern states have been a strong hold of the Democratic party since after the Civil War and only recently (within the past 10 to 15 years) began to move towards the Republican party. Texas is a state with an illegal alien problem with many of them not speaking English for years after invading Texas. There are whole towns in Texas where English is not spoken. When the Union Troops swept through the south, they looted and burned many buildings, including schools. In some areas, a few generations didn't go to a formal school. It was worse in south Louisiana where French was the only language spoken. Union troops didn't like that and so made the French language illegal in the state constitution and brought in northern teachers to force students to speak English. Some students suffered beatings and whippings, sometimes with a bull whip, to the point of blood shed and permanent scars all with the full support of union troops. Some parents kept their kids from school for their own safety for French was the only language they knew. My grandparents spoke mostly French with some English. My parents spoke fluent English and French. Most of my generation lost the French language (I'm 43). It's taken a long time to recover from the damage inflicted upon the south by the Union soldiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I think poverty is a problem all over America.

The problem with south controlled Republican states is that most of them have always been very, very, very poor and a lot of that is a legacy of slavery and of keeping the black citizens of the state down, which ends up hurting a lot of the white citizens and the state as a whole.

Republicans have this political mentality of punishing people of making them suffer. I guess they figure if the poor suffer enough they won't want to be poor anymore. I don't get it.

But there is a definite lack of investing in the citizens of many southern states that I think is the cause of the poverty.

For example take Texas, it is a big growing but poor state. It doesn't educate it's citizens that well there is a lot of poverty. A lot of uninsured people, high teen pregnancy rates, and just a general lack of investment in the citizens of Texas.

If you don't educate your children, if people don't go to the doctors, if you have a lot of teen girls having children, and high rates of poverty those things don't bode well for the future of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 02:33 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko11 View Post
Just curious why Republican controlled states have the highest rates of poverty and uninsured? Do Republicans not care about Americans? Or is it they only care about wealthy, white Americans?

Why is it that places like Texas and Mississippi and Georgia Have so many people who are struggling? Is it the Right to Work Policies that are failing people?

The wealthy really don't want any of their many homes in slum "right-to-work" states.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
"Why Do Republican Controlled States ......"

Wondered the same about Dem controlled cities like Newark, NJ which have been Dem dominated since the 1940s. However they have far more 'highest' records than just poverty and uninsured.

If the problem were just crystal clear as a Repub association with poverty and uninsured, the problem could instantly be resolved.

Obama created the uninsured masses by setting aside his 'lazer focus' to 'create an environment in which jobs would be retained and grow. Losing jobs enlarged the pool of uninsured so he could support his trojan horse called obamacare.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Obama created the uninsured masses ...
Say what? Surely you do not believe this. OK, I will take the bait. Are the Republicans so inept to not prevent Obama from creating uninsured masses? Which is worse, creating bad policy or not preventing it?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:04 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What some fail to understand is most of the southern states have been a strong hold of the Democratic party since after the Civil War and only recently (within the past 10 to 15 years) began to move towards the Republican party.

The South has been trending Republican for 40 years.

Amazon.com: The Emerging Republican Majority (9780870000584): Kevin P. Phillips: Books

Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And how has that worked out for them?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:38 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Not in my state. Until the past 10 to 15 years, the majority of local and state politicians have been Democrats. We haven't only had one real republican Governor and it's not Bobby Jindal.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:04 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko11 View Post
Just curious why Republican controlled states have the highest rates of poverty and uninsured? Do Republicans not care about Americans? Or is it they only care about wealthy, white Americans?

Why is it that places like Texas and Mississippi and Georgia Have so many people who are struggling? Is it the Right to Work Policies that are failing people?
Didn't they get a lot of people from New Orleans and elsewhere that had a tendency to not want to work?

Unions steal our government treasury and drive businesses out of business. I don't think a "Right To Work" policy can hurt anyone, only leave more businesses capable of operating.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 AM

694 posts, read 745,690 times
Quote:
Bad, bad Illinois...only 1% on food but that's bad enough. I can always count on the Tax Foundation for the scoop on taxes...

States that tax groceries (rate if not fully taxed): Alabama, Arkansas (3%), Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois (1%), Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri (1.225%), Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee (5.5%), Utah (1.75%), Virginia (1.5% + 1% local option tax), and West Virginia (5%).

Which States Tax Groceries? | Tax Foundation
Tennessee also has a local tax option. The local gov'ts (city, county) can add up to an additional 2.75% sales tax on food. The Current TN food sales tax is 7% so the 5% stated above is outdated. Where I live (Rutherford County, bordering Metro Nashville) it is the highest it can be at 9.75%, higher than Nashville itself. We also have a tax (statewide of 1.5% I think) added to this rate 9.75% rate for softdrinks and other things the libs here think are evil. This state is still conservative but not a lot.

Charles Sands

Old 07-08-2012, 07:00 AM

694 posts, read 745,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
And how has that worked out for them?
Overall, we are doing quite well, but remember that many southern legislatures were Dem-controlled for much of the 20th Century.

Charles Sands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies