Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 03:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So we agree that they do tax food. Food should indeed never be taxed. Cooked or not.

I think a large majority of Americans is okay with taxing prepared food; fast food and other restaurant food is more of a frill rather than a necessity. The list of states which tax prepared food is probably equal to the list of states with a general (non-food) sales tax, so liberal/conservative/red/blue states are all on the same page here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think a large majority of Americans is okay with taxing prepared food; fast food and other restaurant food is more of a frill rather than a necessity. The list of states which tax prepared food is probably equal to the list of states with a general (non-food) sales tax, so liberal/conservative/red/blue states are all on the same page here.
The point was not whether or not people agreed with it. It was whether or not food was taxed. Also when I worked out of town it was pretty much a necessity.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:15 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This was too good!! McCain "uneducated" sounds more like some American voter's are carrying that card......... Palin as Obama's VP.......... PRICELESS, see she really does have appeal, they've just been told to hate her.
Yep thats right and why they are so afraid of her!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,974,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko11 View Post
Just curious why Republican controlled states have the highest rates of poverty and uninsured? Do Republicans not care about Americans? Or is it they only care about wealthy, white Americans?

Why is it that places like Texas and Mississippi and Georgia Have so many people who are struggling? Is it the Right to Work Policies that are failing people?
This is a flat out lie. Just look at California with full Democrat control ...

Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
It appears via this map, that most states legislatures are Republican controlled:
2010 Post-Election Control of Legislatures

15 states are controlled by Democrats:

Hawaii
Washington
California
Nevada
New Mexico
Arkansas
Mississippi
Illinois
West Virginia
Maryland
Delaware
New Jersey
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
Vermont

8 are divided (senate controlled in one branch, house controlled in the other)

Alaska
Oregon
Colorado
Iowa
Louisiana
Kentucky
Virginia
New York

The remainder are controlled by Republicans.

I think so, so many people only consider presidential elections when it comes to labeling states as disposed to one form of governance or another. I say local elections matter. Also, Mateo45s Diabetes map is county level data. Analyze the demographics of those counties, and you will find that in the south and in the southwest, without much exception, most of the poverty is in counties where you have racial and ethnic minorities, chiefly black and hispanic. This is where the real problem lies, when it comes to choice, health choices especially. Poorer people will compromise their health choices, or perhaps make poorer choices. White and Asian Americans in suburban counties clustered around northern cities will comprise the wealthiest areas. The diabetes rates in these counties are correspondingly low. It comes back to economics, and with economics, correlations are inevitable with demographics.

What you really have, in southern states, is that almost anyone who is white will vote for a Republican presidential candidate. State and local elections are another matter. In northern states, white people will split their votes more dramatically towards Democrat presidential candidates. State and local elections, once again, are a different matter.

Black and Hispanic people vote in a block, for the most part, when it comes to all political elections, and that vote is towards Democrats. Blacks about 90-10, and Hispanics about 70-30.

The above are all facts, based on census data and exit polls. Why this is is up for interpretation.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko11 View Post
Just curious why Republican controlled states have the highest rates of poverty and uninsured? Do Republicans not care about Americans? Or is it they only care about wealthy, white Americans?

Why is it that places like Texas and Mississippi and Georgia Have so many people who are struggling? Is it the Right to Work Policies that are failing people?
Gee, I just heard that states with Rep gov has the highest rates of employment
here in Atlanta, how many of these folks have been on welfare their whole life??
It is a way of life!
Why is that so many just want to spit out kids and get their nails done
give me a break!
I work 7 days a week, I am self employed, home owner, tax payer and I will be 61 this year
I see street thugs with their asses hanging out because they think they are cool
why don't folks like YOU get the message out to get a frigging job!
Take a bath, get you hair cut, pull your pants up and do something!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Shh-h-h-h.... don'tcha know Republicans and conservatives are very "sensitive" about that subject?!

Although it just goes along with red states being net "moocher states" (that receive more in federal benefits than they pay in... yet complain the most about it)!

Heres a map showing all the red states that suck up the most federal dollars:
This is answered very easily. Most of the federal taxes are paid by rich people. The richest people live in blue states, therefore they make those states net contributors to the fed. Sparsely populated red states have long stretches of Federal highways, military bases and national parks that take Federal funds to maintain and the whole country benefits from them.

Look who collects the most welfare per capita and it's primarily blue states. Nearly 40% of the welfare cases in the country originate from California and New York alone.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:28 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
Gee, I just heard that states with Rep gov has the highest rates of employment
here in Atlanta, how many of these folks have been on welfare their whole life??
It is a way of life!
Why is that so many just want to spit out kids and get their nails done
give me a break!
I work 7 days a week, I am self employed, home owner, tax payer and I will be 61 this year
I see street thugs with their asses hanging out because they think they are cool
why don't folks like YOU get the message out to get a frigging job!
Take a bath, get you hair cut, pull your pants up and do something!
Sounds a little racist buddy

Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
This is a flat out lie. Just look at California with full Democrat control ...
No it is The Terminators fault!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
This is answered very easily. Most of the federal taxes are paid by rich people. The richest people live in blue states, therefore they make those states net contributors to the fed. Sparsely populated red states have long stretches of Federal highways, military bases and national parks that take Federal funds to maintain and the whole country benefits from them.

Look who collects the most welfare per capita and it's primarily blue states. Nearly 40% of the welfare cases in the country originate from California and New York alone.
Pesky details of truth..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies