Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Illinois taxes food and Btw they have some of the highest taxes in the country!

Bad, bad Illinois...only 1% on food but that's bad enough. I can always count on the Tax Foundation for the scoop on taxes...

States that tax groceries (rate if not fully taxed): Alabama, Arkansas (3%), Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois (1%), Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri (1.225%), Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee (5.5%), Utah (1.75%), Virginia (1.5% + 1% local option tax), and West Virginia (5%).

Which States Tax Groceries? | Tax Foundation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko11 View Post
Just curious why Republican controlled states have the highest rates of poverty and uninsured? Do Republicans not care about Americans? Or is it they only care about wealthy, white Americans?

Why is it that places like Texas and Mississippi and Georgia Have so many people who are struggling? Is it the Right to Work Policies that are failing people?
Bad education systems, bad healthcare systems and two tiered economies. If you are educated have a skilled job you do great in red states. If you don't your are basically S.O.L.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,992,839 times
Quote:
Just curious why Republican controlled states have the highest rates of poverty and uninsured? Do Republicans not care about Americans? Or is it they only care about wealthy, white Americans?

Why is it that places like Texas and Mississippi and Georgia Have so many people who are struggling? Is it the Right to Work Policies that are failing people?

Its very simple people in red states are too dumb to reallize they are poor or backward or what whizbad technology we have in more advanced richer Blue States. They are also too dumb to get their heads around things like insurance. Remeber some of these states have an average IQ of 85.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:38 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Its very simple people in red states are too dumb to reallize they are poor or backward or what whizbad technology we have in more advanced richer Blue States. They are also too dumb to get their heads around things like insurance. Remeber some of these states have an average IQ of 85.
Oh you mean like this in Harlem..............

Howard Stern interviews with Harlem residents saying Palin was obamas VP and they liked her

Harlem voters - YouTube

Old 07-08-2012, 12:42 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:

In Louisiana's case, it's from a century of Democratic party rule.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:32 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarvamp View Post
Well, here in Illinois, a democrat controlled state, poverty is rampant, along with a sky high unemployment rate. The state is broke. The democratic pols are collecting enormous pesnions, over 100k a year, more in retirment than most citizens ever made while they were working! We cannot afford to pay these outrageous pensions! Health care for the poor has been cut, among other needed services, because the state hasn't paid into the pension fund. There are other honest hard working employees who have paid into the pension fund, & they won't be getting the retirement benefits as promised. Many would like the option to opt out of the pensions, have their money returned that they paid in, & pay into social security like everyone else. At least then they would be eligable to collect social security and/or disability if they ever needed it. Greedy polititions have bancrupted this state. Taxes are so high, it's ridiculous! Spend $200 at the grocery store, pay $20 in taxes! It adds up! So many people are leaving the state, leaving fewer to fund everything. I hope to be relocating in 2 years. I hate it here.
Poverty in the state of IL is 12.6% which is tie for 23rd. It's not the highest, but not the lowest. Pensions have nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans.

Taxes are not that high in IL. IL gained citizens from 2000-2011

Old 07-08-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's cheaper to live in the states that are Republican controlled therefore poor people can afford to live in them.

It's the same reason why you libs keep running to our states.
That is just not the truth. Poverty is rampant and very high in Many "republican states". Although there are some republican states that do have lower rates of poverty like Alaska, Virginia(I don't know how Republican the state is anymore).

But overall poor people can't afford to live in those states.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
You are speaking of immigrant and black Democrats living in Republican states. And these states were Democrat-controlled for the past 100+ years, as stated in an earlier post by someone else.

You Dems get these votes. You have to take credit for the behavior. In fact, you encourage it.
First, they are citizens of that state. Secondly, in those same states the white folks that live there have higher rates of teen pregnancy as well.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:40 AM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Poverty in the state of IL is 12.6% which is tie for 23rd. It's not the highest, but not the lowest. Pensions have nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans.

Taxes are not that high in IL. IL gained citizens from 2000-2011
As much as I dislike the way the state is run, I can't argue with the opportunity I have had here. Decent pay, some of the most advanced technology in my line of work, highly skilled colleagues to work with and learn from... The best and brightest seem to gravitate towards these types of states. There is no way I could find any of this in one of those low paying red states. Not in my line of work anyways. When I was looking to change jobs, I sent resumes down to some of those southern red states. The wages they cited were absolutely scary. It's no wonder they are perpetually whining and complaining about their lack of ability to find qualified workers. Business 101 fail.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:

I think poverty is a problem all over America.

The problem with south controlled Republican states is that most of them have always been very, very, very poor and a lot of that is a legacy of slavery and of keeping the black citizens of the state down, which ends up hurting a lot of the white citizens and the state as a whole.

Republicans have this political mentality of punishing people of making them suffer. I guess they figure if the poor suffer enough they won't want to be poor anymore. I don't get it.

But there is a definite lack of investing in the citizens of many southern states that I think is the cause of the poverty.

For example take Texas, it is a big growing but poor state. It doesn't educate it's citizens that well there is a lot of poverty. A lot of uninsured people, high teen pregnancy rates, and just a general lack of investment in the citizens of Texas.

If you don't educate your children, if people don't go to the doctors, if you have a lot of teen girls having children, and high rates of poverty those things don't bode well for the future of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies