Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:39 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is the flawed thinking you have. In a normal political party, if voters aren't voting for your candidates, you go after those voters. You don't attack those voters and call them names and suggest they are for dependency.

It is hilarious when Republicans attempt to use BIll Cosby a huge Democratic supporter in their message to say that Democrats don't want black people to be self sufficient. Well, if that is true why does the man you are saying is telling black people to do better support the Democratic party?

Logic fail.
Regardless of who Cosby supports - he was treated harshly by black people for what he said. It's instructive if you choose to receive it.

Your first paragraph addresses nothing I said.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,563 times
I have another great idea. When appealing to Jewish people, let's mention how voting for a certain party keeps the "Nazis" in power. And when speaking to Japanese Americans, let's talk about how the party is keeping them in figurative "concentration camps".

/s

Why would you mention stuff like that? I don't want to hear about how my people used to be slaves, or how my grandparents weren't allowed to sit where they wanted on a bus. No, tell me why voting for your party will be beneficial to me. Now there are other reasons why blacks don't vote Rep, and it has a lot to do with how they run the system in Southern states. Down here, they say:

- The Civil War was not fought over slavery, but states' rights.
BS. There were several incidents in many states before the South seceded that directly dealt with whether it was a states' right or a federal right to determine if slavery was legal (Bleeding Kansas, anyone). The South seceded because they felt that Lincoln was potentially going to take away that right. Also, please tell me why all states in North had abolished slavery while all states in the South had not. Oh, it's states' rights? Nice try.

- There were black slave owners.
So what if there was? That doesn't make it better. By stating that, you are saying, Hey you can't be mad at us. They did it too. How about owning up to what was done wrong?

- The Republican party freed blacks from slavery.
So? The Democratic party freed blacks from segregation even if the Southern Democratic governors disagreed. LBJ even stated that by signing that into law, he was turning the South over to the other party. And Nixon appealed to that when he ran for President later on. It isn't about who's first to the party, it is who provides the best options in the long run.

- Black people have been racist to me
Oh, you think by bringing up a personal anecdote about how someone was racist to you, it puts us on an even playing field. I DARE any Rep (or Dem) to show that on average, white people face more discrimination than minorities.

- Any negative view on Affirmative Action
It either diminishes the achievement of a successful black person, or puts an incompetent black person in a position at the expense of a white person. And if a white man gets the job? We hear nothing about AA, even if there were women or minorities applying. Keep insulting us, guys.

- Welfare is bad, just keeps you dependent on the government
This is where most of the "slave/plantation" comments come from. OK, that might be true. Tell us then, what should happen instead? How are we guaranteed a job and a steady income? Oh wait, you don't have a plan for that. Instead, you keep harping that if everyone got a job, then we wouldn't need welfare; and if we got rid of welfare, everyone would have a job. Clearly the US doesn't work that way, but I don't see why Reps act like it does.

- Zimmerman is innocent
Good job. The media speculates that Martin was killed in cold-blood and the Reps immediately jump to Z's defense, saying that he was attacked by a thug and that the BLACK leaders are wrong for inciting this hate - wait where's your evidence? Keep digging that hole guys. The same one you dig whenever a black-white hate crime happens. It doesn't matter who's right - just stay out of it and we won't have to despise that. It doesn't help that most Zimmerman supporters are pro-gun.

So let's translate what Reps are saying when they allude to the fact that we are slaves and the Dems are plantation owners:

"You are dumb for choosing the Dem party. They have enslaved, just like you were slaves in the past. Vote for us. We have not shown that we will help you in anyway, and the way we rip down your respected leaders is just disgusting. But we do appreciate you. Even though we always side with the white person in a potential hate crime, just because the media supported the black. Even though we try to tell you that it's your fault you are poor, and the South wasn't fighting to keep you slaves. No. We just want to free you."

Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't care as long as they keep it online. But please, don't start with me in person with that plantation stuff because it's going to get extremely ugly if you do. Don't accuse me of anything because i vote Dem. Just accept it and walk the hell away. A guy (who is now a good friend of mine ironically) said that to me at my last job when the topic came up, and i had to dig in his chest. He backed up off that nonsense after that even though i'm sure he still thinks it.

But i'm not going to put up with being told i'm on a plantation or that i'm brainwashed. They don't say that to any other minority group that votes Dem except for blacks, and i'm not gonna have you say it to me either.

So that's where i come down. It's a rather stupid ass thing to say, but folks feel like they're armed with something when they say it.
What you say here makes a pile of sense, but how about thinking back to the 1860s when there were still plantations and slaves. What group of whites fought hardest to keep blacks enslaved? What party did Abraham Lincoln belong to? Yep, he didn't free many slaves with his proclamations but at least in wanting to maintain the union he also wanted to free slaves.

What I am saying is that I am not sure why blacks seem to like Democrats so much. Can you explain that while thinking about Lincoln?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What you say here makes a pile of sense, but how about thinking back to the 1860s when there were still plantations and slaves. What group of whites fought hardest to keep blacks enslaved? What party did Abraham Lincoln belong to? Yep, he didn't free many slaves with his proclamations but at least in wanting to maintain the union he also wanted to free slaves.

What I am saying is that I am not sure why blacks seem to like Democrats so much. Can you explain that while thinking about Lincoln?
Roy...easiest explantation is this: THAT Republican party ain't THIS Republican party.

And if you're being honest with yourself, you know i'm right.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
Do you honestly believe this?
I'll be honest with you. As a black person, I don't think that the conservative sides hates black people. Otherwise, Herman Cain and Allen West would not be Rep. The issue is that the image they perpetuate does not seem beneficial to blacks. A lot of times I see Reps stating that blacks should not be brainwashed by the Dems. But they never say why it will be beneficial for blacks to vote for Reps - how will a Rep improve the day-to-day life for a black person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's useless when people have been brainwashed to expect them to listen to reason.

They are the most unreasonable of all when they are in a brainwashed condition.

Racist Democrats vs. Colorblind Republicans | Conservative News, Views & Books
So in order to prove a point about liberals being racists and conservatives being colorblind, you go to a CONSERVATIVE website? That doesn't seem biased at all. /s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Maybe the question that needs to be asked is what have Democrats done for black people that deserves 90+% of our vote. Dems pretty much run the Dept. of Education - but look at the schools. Obama/Congressional Democrats let a popular voucher program wither on the vine in DC. Look at long term Democrat run big cities. I don't ever hear Black leaders say that black people can do better - it's usually someone else's fault. And when someone does say this - like Cosby - he is shouted down. Why?

It's stuff like this that allows the opposition to say what they say. Democrats don't have to earn the majority of the black vote. Why make our lives better and allow more of us to be self-sufficient when it may harm the Congressmen?
I agree with you partially. When Rev. Sharpton isn't being lambasted by the conservatives, he actually says a lot of insightful stuff. Not to the extent of what Bill Cosby said, but he does encourage blacks to stop sitting around and pick themselves up. Repeatedly he has stated that the rejuvenation of the black community has to come from the inside. The only clips of him that are aired however, are those where he seems to be against white people.

On the subject of Cosby, I agree wholeheartedly with his speech. Yes, white America does have something to do with the plight of black Americans, but a large part (maybe the majority) of the problem has to do with blacks. The reason blacks are not improving themselves is because they can use whites as a scapegoat (not a rag against white people). The minute that blacks can no longer find a scapegoat for their troubles is the day that the black community begins to improve. Most blacks with an education and a steady income realize that. Most blacks that did not graduate high school and are living in poor areas around the US believe that white people are the reason for their trouble. Educated blacks and poor, uneducated blacks often do not cross paths. This is why the message is not spread.

As far as questioning what Dems have done for blacks vs. what Reps have done, it is no question that the Dems have done more. There are several instances where Dems have actually hurt blacks in the long run, but the issue is that the alternative does not seem better. Reps do not appeal to blacks in the way that Dems do.

So what I'm saying is that when you are on the outside, it would be best for you to not comment about why it is worse on the inside. It is tough to listen to a white man lecture about why the black community is suffering because it just sounds like more hate speech -- even though it might be 100% true. It is best for an insider to deliver the memo, another black that blacks can rally around.

FYI, Herman Cain is not that person. He just sounds like another rich person in the Rep party.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:06 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This is a spinoff from the "Why do conservatives hate minorities/poor people" thread. Granted, I think this is a question with (what I consider) obvious answer, but many conservatives here don't seem to get it, so here it goes.

When conservatives (white and black) say things like "Dems want to keep blacks poor stupid and on welfare" and "on the plantation" and claim that white Democrats treat you like slaves and brainwash you into needing them, do you find this offensive? Why is it offensive to you? I'm white, but I think if I were black, I'd be PO'd. It implies that Republicans think that I vote Democrat because I can't think for myself. and that I'm still no better off than a slave because I'm "owned" by the Democratic party and don't have the brains or resources to "escape" to the Republican "liberators."

That's my take, but I could be wrong. So does it actually bother you when they say things like this? I mean, I would think so, but a lot of conservatives don't seem to get it.

mackinac81
Republicans tend to think of "us" in those terms anyway. To Republicans, "we" are not like "them" and never will be like "them".

Truthfully, there are MANY Black Americans whose beliefs are much more in line with conservatives than liberals but how are they supposed to vote for Republicans who openly despise them solely for beings "others"? Republicans want to maintain the status quo; they want to preserve the White power structure. Any threat to that (such as a Black POTUS or a growing minority middle class that craves higher education) is "evil" and needs to be destroyed (aka the agenda of the Tea Party)

Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If one doesn't act like an Uncle Tom, he usually doesn't have to worry about being called one.

(shrugs shoulders)

If i call you one, it's because you're acting like one.
Would that be like Bill Cosby, Herman McCain and Rep. Allen? I suppose you think of them as Uncle Toms.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I never hear Conservatives say those terms, but I always hear Liberals remark how dumb minorities are and they have to be "protected". Just look at the Liberals go crazy with the voter id laws. They potray minorities as being too dumb to get a voter id and "just can figure things out".
conservative African American pastor who founded a Tea Party organization in South Central L.A., says he agrees with Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich that many blacks lack a work ethic. The Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson's solution: send them back to the plantation.

Peterson explained his plan to The Huffington Post's Black Voices, saying, "one of the things that I would do is take all black people back to the South and put them on the plantation so they would understand the ethic of working. I'm going to put them all on the plantation

some black conservatives are rallying around the narrative that they, in fact, are present-day Harriet Tubmans helping other African Americans escape from the “plantation” of the Democratic Party, with CPAC 2012 featuring a new film by C.L. Bryant called Runaway Slave that’s part documentary, part Tea Party infomercial, and even has the tagline “Run from tyranny to liberty.”

Gingrich said. “And so I'm prepared, if the NAACP invites me, I'll go to their convention and talk about why the African-American community should demand paychecks, and not be satisfied with food stamps."

Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission (ERLC), came to Gingrich's defense, saying the NAACP was being “a little too sensitive” about the comments. He also added his own analysis on how to get minorities “off the liberal plantation and out of the liberal barrio.”

With that as a framework, Coulter once again praised the conservative black people she had known, arguing that “our blacks are so much better than their blacks” because “you have fought against probably your family, probably your neighbors… that’s why we have very impressive blacks.” She went on to compare conservative black Americans to the family of the President, arguing that “Obama… is not a descendant of the blacks that suffered these Jim Crow laws,” that he was “not the son of American blacks that went through the American experience,” but the “son of a Kenyan” (a point she made with the caveat that she fully believed the President was an American citizen).

Pat Buchanan Thinks Black People Bought Propaganda On The ‘Liberal Plantation

Herman Cain: I left the Democrat plantation a long time ago

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Regardless of who Cosby supports - he was treated harshly by black people for what he said. It's instructive if you choose to receive it.

Your first paragraph addresses nothing I said.
Actually, you are wrong. MANY Black people are in full agreement with Bill Cosby. The truth is that he has said nothing different than any other middle class Black family at their Sunday afternoon dinners.

White people take random blurbs on the 5 o'clock news as gospel for the opinions of ALL Black people. If they knew any Black people then they wouldn't have to take random comments as the beliefs of ALL Black people.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Allen West: I Am A “Modern Day Harriet Tubman”

Herman Cain 2012: 'I Left The Democrat Plantation A Long Time Ago'
THe way I read the OP, these terms are used on a daily basis.

Other than those 2 saying that, how about some other rightie quotes......and I don't mean Rush, Sean, or any of the others repeating the article, lets see some articles where others are sying this....

I'll be waiting....

Last edited by chucksnee; 07-06-2012 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Cleaned up spelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies